Bar Job

Old Sep 24th 2012, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

Ajohnston1984 is just really niceAjohnston1984 is just really niceAjohnston1984 is just really niceAjohnston1984 is just really niceAjohnston1984 is just really niceAjohnston1984 is just really niceAjohnston1984 is just really niceAjohnston1984 is just really nice
Default Bar Job

Im moving to Auckland at the start of November and don't start my teaching contract untiL late January. Looking to get a bar job to meet people and make a little bit of extra pocket money until then. Any ideas on wages/companies or chains to recommend or avoid and do I need a license or certificate to serve alcohol in NZ?

Cheers

Allan
Old Sep 24th 2012, 8:11 pm
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bar Job

Originally Posted by Ajohnston1984
Im moving to Auckland at the start of November and don't start my teaching contract untiL late January. Looking to get a bar job to meet people and make a little bit of extra pocket money until then. Any ideas on wages/companies or chains to recommend or avoid and do I need a license or certificate to serve alcohol in NZ?

Cheers

Allan
Lots of bar jobs in Auckland esp over summer. Don't need a bar licence to sell alcohol but if you do get one (dm certificate) you will get a job much more easily but you would have to do a one day course and be checked by police, council etc. Pay not great and as no shortage of summer staff ....
Old Sep 25th 2012, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Just assuming that your visa allows you to work for anyone not your specific teaching employer........

Agree with Nelsonpom - no need for license but plenty of competition for jobs. Not so many of the chain bars over here although there are some (The Dominion and Zoo Keepers Son are two places that I know are owned by the same group, and i think they have others).

I know from backpacker friends that it can be hard work finding bar work - and slow. You have to hit the streets doing the rounds and dropping in your CV. Then you might get a call a few days later to come for an interview. Then you might get asked to come back and do a trial for a few hours (usually unpaid)....then you might get offered work. From experience from friends, often this is part-time.

There are also a lot of bars who employ just a few bar people and you need waiter/waitressing skills - most places serve food and most do table service.

I'd recommend staying in a hostel when you first arrive to get a base of friends to start you off.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

Ajohnston1984 is just really niceAjohnston1984 is just really niceAjohnston1984 is just really niceAjohnston1984 is just really niceAjohnston1984 is just really niceAjohnston1984 is just really niceAjohnston1984 is just really niceAjohnston1984 is just really nice

I've got a NZ passport so no worries about the visa. Thanks for the information!
I've got a bar/restaurant centric cv prepared now so I'll just drop them in everywhere. Hopefully get some supply teaching in as well.

Thanks again.