Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

BANSKI Saying Hi - Moving to ChCh to help build the roads.

BANSKI Saying Hi - Moving to ChCh to help build the roads.

Old Apr 5th 2013, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

banski is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BANSKI Saying Hi - Moving to ChCh to help build the roads.

Hi,

I'm also new here and my husband has had a job offer in ChCh rebuilding the roads it starts in september the salary is starting at $25 ph is this classed as a good wage in Nz as we have 3 boys 12, 9 and 8 and will need a decent sized house its the amount of rent they are asking that is worring me.
Been looking at all other posts and there have been some great advice about area's thanks,
Old Apr 5th 2013, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Larryloo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Christchurch thread

Originally Posted by banski View Post
Hi,

I'm also new here and my husband has had a job offer in ChCh rebuilding the roads it starts in september the salary is starting at $25 ph is this classed as a good wage in Nz as we have 3 boys 12, 9 and 8 and will need a decent sized house its the amount of rent they are asking that is worring me.
Been looking at all other posts and there have been some great advice about area's thanks,
Hi! I'm not sure what is classed as a good wage. It's probably more to do with how you will manage on a monthly basis. There's a good cost if living site called numbeo and the enz.org site has a household budget calculator that once filled in, tells you what you would require for that standard of lifestyle.

Hope this helps! We may have to keep in touch as our boys are similar ages!

X
Old Apr 5th 2013, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Larryloo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Hi,
well here in uk he earns approx £30,000 pa and we dont have an extravagant lifestyle and dont expect to have 1 there either I just need to know we can pay the bills and do some activities with the boys that sort of thing, the move is more about the boys and giving them a better lifestyle. yeah keeping in touch would be good
If you google take home pay NZ you'll get to a site that will give you an idea of how much money you'll have each month after tax, ACC and Kiwi saver. I then used that as my basis for living costs. From what I've heard though, ChCh is quite expensive, especially rents as you know!
Old Apr 5th 2013, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

Will do cheers
Old Apr 7th 2013, 5:54 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BANSKI Saying Hi - Moving to ChCh to help build the roads.

Hi and welcome to this wee NZ forum.

We've several members living down ChCH way , so they will be able to help you first hand with COL and other concerns regarding coming to Christchurch.

I don't live there but just 4 hours up the road in the Nelson area.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Could you give us a teensy bit more info re the actual work, then we could comment on whether the hourly rate is what's average here in ChCh for roading.

However, my gut feeling is that unless there are mega hours involved, given the pretty poor and very expensive rental situation in this city at the moment, you may need a wee top up via another income..... Also, really important, does he get pay if it rains? some do, some don't.....

Jan
Old Apr 7th 2013, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

Hi, yeah he is an asphalt crew foreman, he genrally works on roads and footways reinstating after works have been completed but also does carparks and driveways too, ooh not sure about rain days i know he doesn't here in the uk, I was hoping to work part time, any help would be great,
Old Apr 7th 2013, 9:45 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

When you arrive

Could you please go to whoever is organising these road builds and tell them to stop fannying around and get a move on in sorting the Innes Road/Queen Elizabeth drive roundabout section.

Oh and $25 an hour, is that going to be his wage for defninite??? How many hours will he be working??? Just if its the standard 40 hour week, he'll only be earning around $52,000 a year and wouldn't that fall a wee bit short of immigration requirements (thought it was $55,000)??

With 3 boys and on a $25 an hour wage - you'll need another income for sure! Your food bill for starters will easily be in the $200-$300 marker I think.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 1:55 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. It is $55K per annum (40hr week) for a work to residence visa which could lead to residency. $26.50 per hour - full time - permanent.

A renewable temporary work visa doesn't have this requirement.

If the employer is NZIS accredited , then they can hire this person without needing to show no NZ citizen or resident could do that work.
If the employer isn't accredited then the employer does need to prove the above.

From memory asphalt crew foreman isn't on the skilled occupation listing so WTR is the only way to go if the family are to remain in NZ long term.

However,
I did know of one family whose main applicant was also basically a asphalt crew foreman who did go on to argue the case for gaining residency. He had the backing of the company behind him who assured NZIS that he was on trial as such as a foreman to learn NZ ways etc but would become of management status overseeing more than just a crew.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

Hi again,
thanks for advice and told OH about $55K on 40 hrs so he's going to speak to the company as we want WTR for security really as we have the boys to think about, he will be working more than 40hrs so will be on more than $55K and I want to work part time, My worry is will we be able to manage financially. :/
Old Apr 9th 2013, 11:47 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again,
thanks for advice and told OH about $55K on 40 hrs so he's going to speak to the company as we want WTR for security really as we have the boys to think about, he will be working more than 40hrs so will be on more than $55K and I want to work part time, My worry is will we be able to manage financially. :/
The company would have to be accredited for a WTR visa to be issued. Otherwise it would have to be a temporary work visa
Old Apr 10th 2013, 9:15 am
Just Joined

Its AWF GROUP recruitment for Trades we met up with them at an expo in London, has anyone worked for them or know anyone that has.

This is all so scary but we really want to do it, can anyone tell me what day to day living is like around ChCh especially for the boys as we really want a better life for them, any advise to put my mind at rest would be great.

Thanks
Jane,
Old Apr 10th 2013, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Its AWF GROUP recruitment for Trades we met up with them at an expo in London, has anyone worked for them or know anyone that has.

This is all so scary but we really want to do it, can anyone tell me what day to day living is like around ChCh especially for the boys as we really want a better life for them, any advise to put my mind at rest would be great.

Thanks
Jane,
Says on Google they're a temp agency. If so they are not an accredited employer..... they're an agency.

Jan
Old Apr 10th 2013, 9:50 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

AWF???

You won't be able to get a work to residence visa unless they find you a job with an accredited employer. Agencies i'm afraid do not count

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...st20121115.pdf

Is your partners job in one of these areas? If so, does he meet all the requirements for that qualification? Just be careful as I could have gained something like 180 points but would have been refused the skilled migrant visa due to my degree not being in the field requirement - losing the qualifications points and the experience points. It was the exact same with Australia when looking at a skilled migrant - degree costing me
Old Apr 10th 2013, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

Well i'd say Yes Tom1983 roading and infastructure with nearly 10 yrs experience building and maintaining roads 3yrs of those in a staff management foreman role but these are only on short term and Canterbury lists so no good for PR straight off.
Bummer if not accredited if we come over on a work visa can we change to a WTR visa if OH finds a job with an accredited employer after a little while.
Thanks for all your help,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.