Banks New Zealand

Old May 17th 2003, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

TIZUS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Banks New Zealand

I am trying to decide which bank account to open any advice? Is it worth keeping an account open here? I am with First Direct and they have no problems with me keeping this account open but just wondered what the pros and cons would be....

Any advice would be great
Thanks Tori
Old May 17th 2003, 6:39 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Banks New Zealand

Originally posted by TIZUS
I am trying to decide which bank account to open any advice? Is it worth keeping an account open here? I am with First Direct and they have no problems with me keeping this account open but just wondered what the pros and cons would be....

Thanks Tori
You might as well keep the UK a/c open. No cons except the banks give you a lousy exchange rate when you come to pay UK bills with non-UK money or use a UK credit card abroad. They are happy to send you statements abroad etc.

Cheers - Don
Old May 17th 2003, 9:30 pm
Now in Tauranga

ratliffe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tori
I have opened an account with ASB whilst i was in new zealand. there are different types but the one i opened you dont have to deposit any money to open it., they enev sent me a cheque book here in the u.k. At least when i come to transfer funds i dont have to go through the hastle then of opening an account.
Gavin
Old May 18th 2003, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Are ASB the best bank to be with? I believe they get a good feedback in satisfaction surveys. Though owned by Commonwealth Bank (Aus) which has been slagged.

In NZ can you open a telephone/internet account. Personally never go into branches other than to pay ina rare cheque. Could this reduce charges?
Roger
Old May 18th 2003, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Slippers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by TIZUS

Thanks Tori

Have a look at consumer.org.nz for good info about NZ accounts. Consider an Omni Gold account with ASB.
Old May 18th 2003, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

TIZUS is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the advice...... Soon I will be able to cross another thing of the list!!!!
Tori
Old May 18th 2003, 9:06 am
Now in Tauranga

ratliffe is an unknown quantity at this point

hi rodger
Yes! you can open an account over the internet but you have to issue a birth certificate and other sorts of i.d which is a pain in the a--se. as for telephone i dont know.You will find them extremely friendly and helpful so dont be afraid of asking stupid questions. an omni gold account is all well and good but if you are looking at just opening an account for the time being just to gett started its not worth it as you have to pay for it.
in nz banks are different to the u.k. You have to pay for everthing in the end but at different levels. the account i have opened there are no monthly charges but i have to pay for every transaction and at a higher level than other accounts.When i get over there i will open a different account.
cheers Gavin