Banks

Old Sep 14th 2009, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Deepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really nice
Default Banks

Hi Guys and Gals
Upon arriving in Auckland we will need to open a bank account. Can anybody make any recommendations on which bank to use or more importantly which ones to avoid.

Many Thanks

Mark
Old Sep 14th 2009, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

bagspacked will become famous soon enoughbagspacked will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Banks

you can do it in 3-4 days on http://www.quickstartaustralia.com
free for migrants as for as i know
Old Sep 14th 2009, 11:56 pm
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

Pretty much any bank in NZ will open an account for you on the spot, but can I put in a good word for Westpac.

I've always found their service excellent and staff always helpful.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

zummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud of

We are on our second bank now (only bacause we preferred their account - total moeny).

We opened an account with National Bank, and they were superb

Now with BNZ, and they are just as good

In fact, not heard of a bad NZ bank .. yet!
Old Sep 15th 2009, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm very happy with the BNZ, my family likes ASB, and in Australia I'm very happy with Westpac.

Only one I'd avoid is ANZ.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 1:57 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

We're with ANZ and have never had a problem with them. Always found staff to be friendly and at times when we've needed, they've gone out of their way to help us.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

MooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond repute

We opened an account from the Uk with BNZ we also liked the account total money
Old Sep 15th 2009, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Deepseamark
Hi Guys and Gals
Upon arriving in Auckland we will need to open a bank account. Can anybody make any recommendations on which bank to use or more importantly which ones to avoid.

Many Thanks

Mark
ASB constantly has good reviews, and they seem to be at the front of "value adds", they have "track my spending" where you can set up a tracking of your montly outgoings and get monthly summaries on where your (over)spending...

I am with National bank though, which is fine also, and really not worth the hassle of changing banks..

westpac is good as well..

ask if you are able to get a credit card, and if not, make sure you get a bank that offers a visa debit card...

Any reason youre not opening a bank account whilst in the uk? Most nz banks let you do that in advance of arriving...
Old Sep 15th 2009, 8:18 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

The good old Banks thread...

Am with HSBC - Very happy, does the job... BUT they lack of branches & dont do Visa debit yet so no online & stuff... Thank god, I still kept my MasterCard & Visa debit from UK
Old Sep 15th 2009, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty sure every main bank in NZ now does Visa Debit
Old Sep 15th 2009, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

We're with ASB & they've been fine. Still getting my head around the lack of free banking over here, but that's pretty much standard practice, so nothing I can seriously quibble about.

Since I've only banked with ASB in NZ I can't really compare it to any other banks, either favourably or otherwise, but they've been perfectly good for us . We actually chose ASB because they have a branch in London, so hubby was able to open an account and to transfer some funds into it before we moved over here...one less job to do when he arrived and he had immediate access to funds, although I'd imagine that other NZ banks must have UK branches
Old Sep 15th 2009, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Can only speak for Westpac but I would check out their Industry association banking packages.

I am a govt employee and we get a good package. Especially if you are buying a home.

http://www.westpac.co.nz/olcontent/o...ation+packages
Old Sep 16th 2009, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

Deepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really nice

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the helpfull replies. We never thought of opening a bank account before we left but as we will arrive in Auckland within 48 hours from now its too late. Any way with the exchange rate as it is at the moment my money is stopping in a UK account for the time being, just need a NZ account for day to day expensis.

thanks agin

Mark