Which Banks

Old Jan 11th 2007, 8:47 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Banks

I know I'm butting in halfway through . Just anted to say thanks !!

had a quick look at kiwibank and look cool . Opeened an account with Westpac at the Expo in October but never activated it cos of comments on OP about their fees, so lad to have an alternative to look at
Old Jan 11th 2007, 10:47 pm

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jueinnz
Check on the fees that they are going to charge you especially for EFTPOS. although I think most have reduced this now to a monthly charge.

So does the Kiwibank charge for this EFTPOS or any other charges
Mandie
Old Jan 11th 2007, 11:00 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mandie.H
So does the Kiwibank charge for this EFTPOS or any other charges
Mandie
NZ banks do charge for transactions or a monthly flat fee. Generally, all of them do it unless you have a mortgage with the same bank, or if you have a very large amount of cash sitting in your cheque account.
My KiwiBank account is currently a $5 flat fee per month, all transactions included.
EFTPOS is SWIFT... and counts as an electronic transaction.
Best look up the fee tables on the banks' website, and post back if there are any terms that you don't understand.
On the upside of paying fees, I have found that generally the services provided are better (faster, more responsive) than in the UK where you generally don't pay fees.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 1:58 am
Just Joined

Biscuits is a jewel in the roughBiscuits is a jewel in the roughBiscuits is a jewel in the roughBiscuits is a jewel in the roughBiscuits is a jewel in the rough

Has anyone used RaboPlus for savings? They seem to offer the highest rates...

http://www.raboplus.co.nz/landing/06...ce=interest_nz
Old Jan 12th 2007, 4:51 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Do NZ banks generally charge for cheques?

That's one of the HUGE differences I found between the UK and the US: In the UK I'd have some banking charges (bear in mind I left coming on for 15 years ago), but cheques were always free, even the ones with wildlife printed on them.

In the US where I am now, banking is free, even online, and they pay interest on savings accounts, but cheques cost a friggin' BOMB! For 200 cheques total (2 boxes of 5 books per box, 20 cheques per book), I just paid US$140. What a bleedin' rip-off!

This is why I'm transferring all our bills that can be transferred, on to automatic debit.

When I last lived in France, in 1995, that was COMMONPLACE!!! Here, it's like new technology. Good grief Charlie Brown! As they would say here: "Get with the program(me)!"
Old Jan 12th 2007, 7:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

They charge for each cheque you write here, not for the book, although you do have to pay a silly sum of $2 'tax' on a new chequebook. Cheques are hardly ever used as most pay by EFT with the charges deliberately much higher for cheques to persuade you to use other electronic means.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 7:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jueinnz
HSBC- ...lack of branches and cash machines and you get charged if you use the wrong one!! An asian run bank over here and its obvious from the tellers!!! (I'm not judging just saying!!!)
Maybe that is because it is The Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank, they are not a national bank in NZ and as such only have a handful of branches in Auckland. They are affiliated to Westpac, so that you can use their ATMs without extra charges.

A major negative for me with Kiwibank is queing up with the old dears in The Post Shop, also worthwhile considering a lot of Post Shops are closed on Saturday afternoons.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute

As my OH pointed out we've had no problems with Kiwibank, but as the same as all the banks in New Zealand there are bank charges. We opened our account a few months before we came out and then got charges each month for having an account with no money in it. If you can send over $4000 into the Front runner account once you've opened it from the UK then you'll avoid the charges. I think the charges was only something like 5 pounds a month. They also have an account called 'Online call' which pays about 7.3% and you have instant access, its a bit like an ING account that you link to your normal account and can only transfer money to and from your named account, ie, the Front runner account and Interest is paid monthly.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTEA major negative for me with Kiwibank is queing up with the old dears in The Post Shop, also worthwhile considering a lot of Post Shops are closed on Saturday afternoons. [/QUOTE]

Can't speak for the rest of the Country but here in Timaru most of the shops close on a Saturday afternoon. I'm pretty sure the banks close too. There's only the bigger chain stores that stay open like the super markets, Wharehouse, Briscoes etc....
Old Jan 12th 2007, 8:27 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Maz
Do NZ banks generally charge for cheques?

In the US where I am now, banking is free, even online, and they pay interest on savings accounts, but cheques cost a friggin' BOMB! For 200 cheques total (2 boxes of 5 books per box, 20 cheques per book), I just paid US$140. What a bleedin' rip-off!

This is why I'm transferring all our bills that can be transferred, on to automatic debit.
Blimey, how on earth do you manage to write that many cheques? I only manage to use around 6 cheques a year! All my banking is done online, all bills are automatic debits or "once only payments" online, all shop purchases are done with the debit or credit card, all online purchases are using a visa. And then there is cash too. I can't imagine the frustration of using cheques and waiting for them to clear - I am very much an instantaneous kind of a girl.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 2:20 pm
Too close to the sun

SirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud of

I'll have to show the wife all this . My heads a shed already
Old Jan 12th 2007, 6:57 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by xpat19
We're with Kiwi bank too, no problems at all and its convenient to be able to pop into any Post Shop to do any banking as well.

Their fixed rate mortgages are usually pretty competitive , we've had one with them for the last 3 years but are just about to change as they can't meet TSB's rate this time.

The twat at the kiwibank stand at the london expo put me off using their bank. he refused to look at me and only talked to DP; the only time he spoke to me was to test me on my 'rugby' knowledge. I told him it wasnt important and can he talk to me about interest rates instead.

how to make kiwi friends eh?
Old Jan 12th 2007, 7:36 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dreamfish
he refused to look at me and only talked to DP; the only time he spoke to me was to test me on my 'rugby' knowledge.
All part of the standard Kiwi service - you'll get used to it when you get there!

(read this as if I am smiling at you in a friendly way)
Old Jan 12th 2007, 7:40 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

We use National Bank and have absolutely no complaints whatsoever. Really! You are reading correctly. Our personal banking lady person there is marvellous. They've cocked up a couple of times but, wait for it...unlike every other NZ business I had the misfortune to be on the receiving end of a cock-up with, they admitted it AND put it right...immediately.

Stranger things have surely not happened.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 11:05 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apple12
NZ banks do charge for transactions or a monthly flat fee. Generally, all of them do it unless you have a mortgage with the same bank, or if you have a very large amount of cash sitting in your cheque account.
My KiwiBank account is currently a $5 flat fee per month, all transactions included.
EFTPOS is SWIFT... and counts as an electronic transaction.
Best look up the fee tables on the banks' website, and post back if there are any terms that you don't understand.
On the upside of paying fees, I have found that generally the services provided are better (faster, more responsive) than in the UK where you generally don't pay fees.
mmm....
we are with KiwiBank but they dont have a "SWIFT" code that can be used for international transfers or to take out cash on demand from another bank account using a PIN.......this may be a drawback if you want to get your £££s or US$/OZ$ fast....from their website:
Receiving money from overseas
Receiving a deposit into your bank account
A deposit can be made directly into your Kiwibank account from another bank anywhere in the world. You'll need to make sure that the person sending you the money has the following information:
Your name
Your bank account number
Kiwibank's address: Kiwibank Limited, 155 The Terrace, Wellington 6332, New Zealand.
You may also be asked to provide a bank and/or branch number. However, this is not necessary as your Kiwibank account number includes these details.
Please note: Kiwibank can't receive funds from another bank via SWIFT. The bank the funds are being sent from will need to contact their New Zealand corresponding bank to arrange the transfer.
they recommend Western Union for fast transfers......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.