British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Which Banks (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/banks-418233/)

SirEglamore Jan 11th 2007 6:31 pm

Which Banks

who uses which bank and why. ease of transfers/atm locations/good people etc.

Ta

:)

jueinnz Jan 11th 2007 6:52 pm

Re: Which Banks

Originally Posted by SirEglamore (Post 4271779)

Ta

HSBC- ...lack of branches and cash machines and you get charged if you use the wrong one!! An asian run bank over here and its obvious from the tellers!!! (I'm not judging just saying!!!)

WEST-PAC... they were ok but opened up an account for us for our wages to be paid into not telling us that it would take 5 days for any funds that are paid into it to clear????....

Now with NATIONAL and had no problems:D we pay $10 a month fees that covers all EFTPOS.

Overall though couldn't find one which gives you a decent statement online...we wanted to be able to see transactions and balance after every transaction. Not just balance at present. and a list of transactions.

Check on the fees that they are going to charge you especially for EFTPOS. although I think most have reduced this now to a monthly charge.

kwprwn Jan 11th 2007 6:55 pm

Ta

We used ASB when we first got here because hubby used to have a bank acct with them years and years ago and they still had record on file so we didnt have to produce proof of were we were living, which westpac wanted and we didnt have, so werent impressed with westpac, when we were just wanting to open a bank account, didnt want to borrow any money or anything, just deposit it, and they wouldnt do it. No issues with ASB, they open on a weekend in the shopping mall so i can go in at a weekend if i need anything sorted.

However we did our mortgage thru ANZ and am not impressed with them as a bank as we opened an acct with them as we had to have an acct for the mortgage repayments to go out of, now the henderson branch (nearest to were I live) dont open on a weekend, so it took me 6 weeks before I was able to set up telephone and internet banking as they would not do it over the phone for me, they kept saying come in to the branch so eventually i had to take a day off work to do this. Also we had some mail from them before I had done the phone banking etc, and it had been slit open at both ends so looked like it had been tampered with, so when I called them they wouldnt even tell me if they had sent any plastic cards or not, I was furious

ok, thats my personal experience so far

Fees: we pay $3 a month with ASB now they have reduced their fees, used to pay on average about $20-25 before with eftpos charges

Dawn

cottageinthesky Jan 11th 2007 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by jueinnz (Post 4271858)
Overall though couldn't find one which gives you a decent statement online...we wanted to be able to see transactions and balance after every transaction. Not just balance at present. and a list of transactions.

I can access detailed per transaction internet banking statements for National Bank and BNZ :confused:

kwprwn Jan 11th 2007 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by jueinnz (Post 4271858)
HSBC- ...lack of branches and cash machines and you get charged if you use the wrong one!! An asian run bank over here and its obvious from the tellers!!! (I'm not judging just saying!!!)

WEST-PAC... they were ok but opened up an account for us for our wages to be paid into not telling us that it would take 5 days for any funds that are paid into it to clear????....

Now with NATIONAL and had no problems:D we pay $10 a month fees that covers all EFTPOS.

Check on the fees that they are going to charge you especially for EFTPOS. although I think most have reduced this now to a monthly charge.

Hi Jue

ASB give a full breakdown online, the transactions usually show within 5/10 mins, only once has it taken longer and that was when I had to sign for an eftpos transaction as i pressed to sign instead of pin number...doh and that showed overnight

Apple12 Jan 11th 2007 6:59 pm

Ta

www.kiwibank.co.nz

Just fantastic, thoroughly recommend.
Excellent online service, emailed statements, can access money at any postbank (includes sat and sometimes sunday service depending on branch), no hassles, answer phone in a single ring, very helpful by phone.
Easy to open accounts while still in UK.
Flat fee accounts, and the best interest rates. Kiwibank is absolutely competitive against all the aussie banks, and has the best deals first.

No I don't work for them, but I honestly haven't had a bad experience with then yet.

jueinnz Jan 11th 2007 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky (Post 4271889)
I can access detailed per transaction internet banking statements for National Bank and BNZ :confused:

Yep but I want to see my balance every time...
ie
current balance $60
kfc out $20 balance $60
kfc out $20 balance $80
wages in $100 balance $100
opening balance $0

small point I know!!!!!!!:D

planty Jan 11th 2007 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Apple12 (Post 4271894)
www.kiwibank.co.nz

Just fantastic, thoroughly recommend.
Excellent online service, emailed statements, can access money at any postbank (includes sat and sometimes sunday service depending on branch), no hassles, answer phone in a single ring, very helpful by phone.
Easy to open accounts while still in UK.
Flat fee accounts, and the best interest rates. Kiwibank is absolutely competitive against all the aussie banks, and has the best deals first.

No I don't work for them, but I honestly haven't had a bad experience with then yet.

We would agree wholeheartedly with Apple12. We opened our account with Kiwibank online from the UK, and we have had no problems. Seem to be very efficient!

xpat19 Jan 11th 2007 7:46 pm

We're with Kiwi bank too, no problems at all and its convenient to be able to pop into any Post Shop to do any banking as well.

Their fixed rate mortgages are usually pretty competitive , we've had one with them for the last 3 years but are just about to change as they can't meet TSB's rate this time.

Apple12 Jan 11th 2007 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by jueinnz (Post 4271909)
Yep but I want to see my balance every time...
ie
current balance $60
kfc out $20 balance $60
kfc out $20 balance $80
wages in $100 balance $100
opening balance $0

small point I know!!!!!!!:D

www.kiwibank.co.nz ;) The online statements do this. You can also download the online statement into a csv file, and put it into whatever format you like!

jueinnz Jan 11th 2007 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Apple12 (Post 4272267)
www.kiwibank.co.nz ;) The online statements do this. You can also download the online statement into a csv file, and put it into whatever format you like!

Sounds good and you don't have nay problems with them at all??????? to good to be true???:D

Am Loolah Jan 11th 2007 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Apple12 (Post 4272267)

Hi Apple - hope you're well. I's researched banking and settled on Kiwibank. Am I right in thinking though that you have to send off ID to NZ to open an account before you leave the UK? Hubby thought this was a bit too much hassle? (But seeing as he doesn't do the mundane things like money, flights, accommodation, shipping, dogs etc, etc, etc hot entirely sure why he bothered to mention that?!:D )

Apple12 Jan 11th 2007 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by jueinnz (Post 4272275)
Sounds good and you don't have nay problems with them at all??????? to good to be true???:D

:) No seriously, they are that good!
I was with Lloyds, HSBC and Nationwide in the UK, National Bank and ANZ in NZ, and KiwiBank beat them all hands down.
The reason why all the banks in NZ have lowered their fees is that KiwiBank did it first and everyone else was losing so many customers that they all had to follow suit.

Apple12 Jan 11th 2007 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 4272282)
Hi Apple - hope you're well. I's researched banking and settled on Kiwibank. Am I right in thinking though that you have to send off ID to NZ to open an account before you leave the UK? Hubby thought this was a bit too much hassle? (But seeing as he doesn't do the mundane things like money, flights, accommodation, shipping, dogs etc, etc, etc hot entirely sure why he bothered to mention that?!:D )

I think the way that it works is that you fill in the forms to open a new account and send them to NZ. Once you arrive you can go to a KiwiBank branch (= Postshop) and they will sight your id and sort out cards and chequebooks etc.
Here is the link... http://www.kiwibank.co.nz/products/migrant_banking.stm

Am Loolah Jan 11th 2007 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Apple12 (Post 4272302)
I think the way that it works is that you fill in the forms to open a new account and send them to NZ. Once you arrive you can go to a KiwiBank branch (= Postshop) and they will sight your id and sort out cards and chequebooks etc.
Here is the link... http://www.kiwibank.co.nz/products/migrant_banking.stm

Been on their site, thank you. Shall download from work in morn!!

It only involves sending a copy of passports and a recent utility bill or bank statement. Easy!!:)