Bankruptcy

Old Oct 2nd 2012, 8:54 am
Just Joined

modog11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bankruptcy

Hi,

Im new to this and need a question answering. I have my own business which is going down the pan, but i owe money out and have been pondering should i declare myself bankrupt. Me and my partner have been accepted into New Zealand and are currantly awaiting our visas, my partner will propbably go before me as we still have stuff to sell ie house and cars etc etc. Can someone tell me will i be allowed in if i have declared myself bankrupt and still leave the country with being bankrupt even after we have been accepted????

Last edited by Sue; Oct 2nd 2012 at 11:19 am. Reason: Moved from Welcome Inn to NZ forum
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 8:59 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bankruptcy

Originally Posted by modog11
Hi,

Im new to this and need a question answering. I have my own business which is going down the pan, but i owe money out and have been pondering should i declare myself bankrupt. Me and my partner have been accepted into New Zealand and are currantly awaiting our visas, my partner will propbably go before me as we still have stuff to sell ie house and cars etc etc. Can someone tell me will i be allowed in if i have declared myself bankrupt and still leave the country with being bankrupt even after we have been accepted????
It really depends on where you are and that country's statutes. In the US it is often a very good option. I have no clue as to others.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 9:02 am
Just Joined

yea i dont know really, im getting told around 5 different stories......do you know if you get credit checked if you want to get credit in New Zealand??
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 9:06 am

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

yea i dont know really, im getting told around 5 different stories......do you know if you get credit checked if you want to get credit in New Zealand??
Sorry, I only know some about the US. Nothing about NZ.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 9:09 am
Just Joined

ok thanks for your replys anyway.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 9:12 am

ok thanks for your replys anyway.
Try posting in the country in question. There are experts all over this forum. Just go to the forum index.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 10:09 am
Just Joined

Sorry i dont know to do this, it took me nearly an hour to post the question!! ill figure it out somehow.....
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 10:17 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

will the sale of the house cover some of the costs? not sure if you have assets if you can file for bankruptcy ? maybe ask Citizen Advice
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 10:18 am
Just Joined

i have no assets, house not in my name.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

I think Beaverstate hit the nail on the head.
If you can't say what country your in you cant get the right advice.
I would also read the NZ migration rules in case they have a section on issues around migrating bankrupts.
Good Luck.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 10:53 am
Yes a friend to all BEs

IndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry i dont know to do this, it took me nearly an hour to post the question!! ill figure it out somehow.....
Hello and first of all, welcome to BE.

On the top left corner of this page look up "Forum Index" tab where you'll find all Country/Region forums. Scroll down and get to the New Zealand forum and post this query there...friendly folks there, you sure to get responses and useful links too. Names of forum moderator/s are at bottom of each page. If you are stuck anywhere on the site, PM (private message) mrsfinch from NZ page or any one of us.

Best wishes with your career move

Cheers
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 11:21 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi modog11,

You will get the hang of it ... and no worries I've moved your post for you to the NZ forum. If you get stuck on the bells and whistles of the site please give me a shout. You can also check out our FAQ's here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/faq.php?faq=vb_faq
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 6:21 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Only the NZ Business visa's seem to have previous bankruptcy as a factor.

No, I am not aware of any credit-checking in home countries taking place in NZ, however certain financial products are only generally available to Permanent Residence holders, for e.g. there is only one institution that will grant mortgages to non-PR holders.

There are no automatic travel restrictions on UK bankrupts, other countries may differ (NZ does for example).

The decision to go bankrupt or not probablt won't affect your migration or visa's, not sure how you staying to sell the house will work if the house isn't in your name???

Hope this helps...
Old Oct 4th 2012, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

No, it won't affect your visa. No they won't ever check your credit record in the UK. The only thing that matters is your NZ credit record which will be entirely blank.

The only time you may ever be subject to credit checks back in the UK is if you are ever applying for security clearance in NZ for certain government jobs which would be a long way down the line and when you have citizenship.