Banking???????

Old May 28th 2006, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

rita narbett is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Banking???????

Hi people!

How do i open a bank account from here in the uk? What banks would you recommend? The ones with the lesser charges plz! Whens the best time to transfer your money from uk to nz bank?

Kind Regards
Old May 29th 2006, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

CWEMM02 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Banking???????

Originally Posted by rita narbett
Hi people!

How do i open a bank account from here in the uk? What banks would you recommend? The ones with the lesser charges plz! Whens the best time to transfer your money from uk to nz bank?

Kind Regards
We have had a few threads on this. Please see www.interest.co.nz

Michael
Old May 29th 2006, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Banking???????

Originally Posted by rita narbett
Hi people!

Kind Regards
several banks let you open accounts while still in the uk. we did it (from ireland) with National Bank (nbnz.co.nz) Pretty easy and straightforward. look on their website under th lifestyle choices (or something similar) section.

Other bansk that also have dedicated migrant banking services to allow you to open up accounts whilst still overseas include ASB, Westpac, ANZ and Bank of New Zealand. The biggest 4 banks are National Bank, ASB, Westpac, and ANZ. They all have charges unfortunately.

Dont know when the best time to transfer your money is, when are you planning to leave for NZ. The exchange rate now is better than it has been for a long time, but who knows what is going to happen in the future.

Happy reading up on banking websites!

Old May 29th 2006, 2:34 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

We chose the National Bank Of New Zealand and opened an account whilst still in the UK. If you have more than 5k in your account banking is free.
ASB are supposed to be pretty good too.
Old May 29th 2006, 2:35 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

We used Moneycorp to change our money from pounds to dollars and transferred over just enough to open an account and then the rest later.
Old May 29th 2006, 3:27 am
WAS bored stiff in USA

cyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud of

We are with National too on a recommendation from my brother up in Auckland who said that whoever he was with when they first got here (maybe BNZ) were real rip off merchants with the charges.

A question though, we opened a savings account for our 14 yr old son & I see they take tax off every month, is this normal?
Old May 29th 2006, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

My eldest has 2 accounts with National Bank, one his normal account and a savings account. I dont seem to think he has tax taken out though? May be in for a nasty surprise later though eh?
Old May 29th 2006, 4:26 am
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by cyndi
We are with National too on a recommendation from my brother up in Auckland who said that whoever he was with when they first got here (maybe BNZ) were real rip off merchants with the charges.

A question though, we opened a savings account for our 14 yr old son & I see they take tax off every month, is this normal?
Have you given them his IRD number, don't know if this will make any difference though but it's just a thought
Old May 29th 2006, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cyndi

probably easiest solved with a call to the bank..i am sorry i dont know (im not 14 and i know they take tax of my account....)
Old May 29th 2006, 5:12 am
WAS bored stiff in USA

cyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sky
Have you given them his IRD number, don't know if this will make any difference though but it's just a thought
We didn't have our IRD numbers when we opened our accounts, but I took them to the bank as soon as we got them. I'll definitely double check with the bank next week though. It's pathetic when he get's $1 interest & then the "withholding tax paid" is 30 cents.
Old May 29th 2006, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute

The banks in NZ do tax any interest earned on childrens savings accounts.