Bankers draft

Old Jul 23rd 2008, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

mkumar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bankers draft

I've had a few issues with transferring money from HSBC to Westpac.

I've been phoning Westpac (Auckland) all week during the night, but somehow they refuse to acknowledge that I have an account with them (I have a statement in front of me!) Because of that, I am not transferring money electronically.

Anyway, I'm peed off, so am going to take a bankers draft to nz (and maybe change bank) - has anyone taken a draft with them? Are they readily accepted by all banks?
Old Jul 24th 2008, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bankers draft

Could you ask HSBC in UK to contact HSBC in NZ and get them to liaise directly with Westpac
Old Jul 24th 2008, 5:43 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mkumar
I've had a few issues with transferring money from HSBC to Westpac.

I've been phoning Westpac (Auckland) all week during the night, but somehow they refuse to acknowledge that I have an account with them (I have a statement in front of me!) Because of that, I am not transferring money electronically.

Anyway, I'm peed off, so am going to take a bankers draft to nz (and maybe change bank) - has anyone taken a draft with them? Are they readily accepted by all banks?

Have HSBC put your money in HSBC NZ or Westpac, they are 2 totally different banks, but Westpac do permit you to use their facilities for banking and withdrawing money only. Very few HSBC Banks in NZ.

Ask your HSBC bank to deal with this problem.

HSBC NZ Number 0800 80 32 80 and they are very helpful. 2 Queen St, Auckland. We made the mistake of going into the wrong bank on arrival.

We had great problems with Westpac and it cost us, not a hugh amount, but any amount was too much.

Hope this helps

Pauline
Old Jul 24th 2008, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

It is westpac. 9 Queen St, Auckland.

My main concern is that I transferred a small amount of money via hsbc online banking just to test the waters. I used the correct swift and acc no. My receipt showed the banks address as being in Birkenhead, Auckland.

I thought that all money going to Westpac, Auckland would go to their main Queen St branch.

Do Westpac randomly assign people branches, or have I made a mistake?

Last edited by mkumar; Jul 24th 2008 at 7:49 am.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute

In case it helps...

A NZ bank account for Westpac is usually in the format of 03-0114-1234567-00 where 03 is the bank (Westpac is 03), the next 4 digits are the branch (for Westpac Birkenhead this is 0114 I think) followed by 7 digits for your account number and then another 2 or 3 digits for a suffix to show e.g. a savings account vs your main cheque account.

Try calling them to check why your payment has gone there if your account is located at another branch. Their number is +64 9 419 0166

Good luck
Old Jul 24th 2008, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Sarahw

It makes a bit more sense now.

Birkenhead is 0104, as per my account no.

I'm heading out on the 3rd and will see them personally.

Online Migrantbanking said they couldn't help me as I hadn't filled out an email authorisation form! Telephone banking had no record of my account although I had my statement in front of me.

Not what you need a week before you set off.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

Hi

I called Westpac to check their branch numbers - 0114 is definitely Birkenhead and 0104 doesn't exist.

That would probably explain why they haven't received your funds. I'd suggest you go back to HSBC and ask them to track where your fund have gone and then ask Westpac to clarify your account number.

Good luck - let me know if I can help as I know how traumatic all of this can be
Old Jul 28th 2008, 10:12 am
Just Joined

Practical has a brilliant futurePractical has a brilliant futurePractical has a brilliant futurePractical has a brilliant futurePractical has a brilliant futurePractical has a brilliant future

International transfers can be an absolute pain ,particularly one off's ,or new one's that you are trying to set up. It's usually a cross between getting the wrong transfer details at the senders end and or bank error in transcribing the details on to the transfer form. Be careful when you ask for these details. I have found many clerks working at banks have little experience with these transfers so double check the details.Preferably get them to write them down so if they are wrong there is no argument about who got it wrong.

What I can say is it helps if you get the right details to begin with .That means getting any intermediary details that might also be necessary to rout the transfer. Many banks do not get international funds directly. They also get them through an intermediary bank. When funds do get lost they are often at these banks in a suspense a/c waiting for someone to say where they are to go.
Finally don't just ask your bank for the swift code. This has been superceded by the IBAN CODE. This code contains all of the details of the receiving bank.

If your funds do end up going down a blackhole for several weeks ask your bank for a copy of their M transfer form ,the one they used to send the funds and check it carefully against the details you gave.If ok move on and check again the details on that form with the receiving bank. Again if ok ask your bank to send out a trace. This costs money ,but if the fault is not with the details you gave to the bank then ask your bank to carry the costs . Moreover if your funds end up (as typically does happen) in a blackhole for several weeks ask you bank for interest on the sum.