British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Which Bank? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/bank-793096/)

HPP Apr 6th 2013 9:35 am

Which Bank?

Hi, I'm new to the site and have found it incredibly helpful, informative (and amusing) already! My partner and I are moving to NZ in January - I have a job offer and so just getting everything sorted. Question is this - we have been directed by my future employer to Westpac - to set up an account from the UK now and they have been really helpful. But is this a good choice of bank for NZ? :unsure: Thanks

ellenarosemary Apr 6th 2013 9:47 am

Re: Which Bank?

If you havent yet thought of flights, try ANZ, they have an offer with Emirates which will up your luggage allowance from 30kg to 45kg each. Its an online account, and you only need to open it, you dont even need to have any money in it, when you book your flight quote the special offer code and your luggage allowance is automatically increased.

Good luck.

simonsi Apr 6th 2013 9:51 am

Originally Posted by HPP (Post 10643135)
we have been directed by my future employer to Westpac

Probably means that is who your employer banks with, only difference that might make is you'll get access to your salary the same day they pay it rather than maybe an overnight....

No problem having accounts at more than one bank.

HPP Apr 6th 2013 9:55 am

Thanks both. Just trying to work out if day to day banking experience/charges is better with one bank than another but guess its like over here - all the same! And yes, it is because employer banks with them.

Bo-Jangles Apr 6th 2013 10:51 am

Westpac only do overnight processing, so you still have to wait til the next day for your pay even if your employer is with them. AFAIK only ASB to ASB is immediate.

There are some additional benefits to being with Westpac if you are in public sector, preferential rates and such like.

Bellasmum Apr 6th 2013 11:06 am

Originally Posted by HPP (Post 10643135)
Hi, I'm new to the site and have found it incredibly helpful, informative (and amusing) already! My partner and I are moving to NZ in January - I have a job offer and so just getting everything sorted. Question is this - we have been directed by my future employer to Westpac - to set up an account from the UK now and they have been really helpful. But is this a good choice of bank for NZ? :unsure: Thanks

If your job is with a govt dept Westpac have a good govt employee package.

I bank with Westpac that reason and my wages go into my account at midnight the night before payday.

HPP Apr 6th 2013 11:53 am

Thanks - no not with a govt organisation. Timing of getting paid not too important to me so will probably go with Westpac as looking online can't see any advantages of any other banks.

Charismatic Apr 6th 2013 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 10643200)
AFAIK only ASB to ASB is immediate.

I thought lots of banks did real-time internal transfers? TSB do and I think KiwiBank.

I've only used ASB a few times but their aggressive sales people puts me off (and normally I'm someone who loves a good pitch! :lol:), also they have these weird deposit fees that makes TradeMe difficult.

Clappy Apr 6th 2013 12:28 pm

I don't think that there is much difference between the big banks.

I use ANZ and ASB.

ANZ because my wife works for them.
ASB because I work for them.

I haven't noticed much of a difference between those two, I don't know anything about BNZ or Westpac.

MrsFychan Apr 6th 2013 10:47 pm

We use ANZ, because it took over National, never had a problem with them, they don't do immediate payments it's all done over night but thats not a problem. Have always found them helpful on the phone and at Branch. You can open the account abroad you just need to go in with your passport to get your bank cards. Oh the one thing you can't set up your ATM number at the ATM you have to do that at the branch but apart from that one gripe and not sure if it''s just ANZ or every bank that does that, found them overall very good and their online banking is great and you can have as many accounts with them as you like, so we have a chequing account, a bills account, a holiday account, 2 savings account, cc account, 2 mortgage accounts

Jan n Neil Apr 7th 2013 3:02 am

We're with the TSB, and I am hugely impressed, except for one little issue - they don't have cash in the branches!

Our branch staff know us, I can do loads over the phone or email as we have a relationship with them, and especially when Neil rings, they say "hi Neil how can we help you"

Their interest rates are good if you have a Premier account, and they have been very helpful indeed with a recent home improvement loan, essentially making on the spot decisions by looking at our banking and home ownership history with them, instead of sending everything away to a faceless branch somewhere.

Not bad at all :thumbsup:

Jan

HPP Apr 7th 2013 10:07 am

Thanks Jan - I will have a look. Interest rates are a key factor.

Tom1983 Apr 8th 2013 4:36 am

We have accounts with ASB, ANZ and Westpac

All of them are as good as each other in my opinion. I have no issues at all

Obviously some have better interest rates but im happy with all 3. Gives a wide choice to look at when getting the mortgage next year - hopefully

chocolate cake Apr 8th 2013 10:49 am

Personally I wouldn't bother having bank accounts with more than one, as free banking is a bit of a novelty over here.

Main banks (Aussie owned) seem to be much of a muchness, though I wouldn't recommend bnz who joined with in UK before moving. Generally had poor service from them.

Kiwibank seem to offer the best rates, but as their only branches are in Post Offices, prepare for nasty queues! TSB also have very good write ups, but seem to have few branches outside their New Plymouth base.

I'm with ANZ since mid last year after taking a mortgage with 'em and moving my banking at same time. Certainly found service much better, and certainly their internet banking is.

HPP Apr 8th 2013 6:29 pm

Thanks everyone for advice. Will go with Westpac I think - had good service from them so far - but then they are after our business :D

I'm sure I'll have more questions on other topics before the big move but so much info on this forum!