Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Baking with Butter

Baking with Butter

Old Apr 26th 2011, 4:50 am
BE Enthusiast

KayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud of
Default Baking with Butter

When I was in the UK I used to make some really yummy ginger nut biscuits - I have tried to make them twice this morning and they just aren't working, I don't know why I have used butter instead of the marg I used to use in the UK as I can't find marg for baking here. What am I doing wrong??????
Old Apr 26th 2011, 4:53 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baking with Butter

Originally Posted by KayC
When I was in the UK I used to make some really yummy ginger nut biscuits - I have tried to make them twice this morning and they just aren't working, I don't know why I have used butter instead of the marg I used to use in the UK as I can't find marg for baking here. What am I doing wrong??????
What exactly is wrong with the biscuits?
Old Apr 26th 2011, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

KayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud of

They would normally spread out and go flat and kind of crack a bit on the top like but they aren't going flat at all
Old Apr 26th 2011, 5:09 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm... well I only ever bake with butter so I can't comment one which is best. I try to avoid the additives in margarine which is the main reason I bake.

Have a look at this NZ recipe:

http://www.kidspot.co.nz/recipes-for...t-biscuits.htm

Does it look any different to yours?

I have heard that NZ flour is different for making bread, so it may also be different for other baking. Would be interested to hear.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

The only thing that really differs is the brown sugar and I use white - but these one's on the picture is exactly how mine have turned out - they usually look like this

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/8852/...-biscuits.aspx

Although this isn't the recipe I follow
Old Apr 26th 2011, 5:25 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

The recipe I posted seems to have a lot of flour in it. My guess is the problem is the flour. Try adding more butter or syrup? Or perhaps reduce the flour in your recipe. The local stuff might be more absorbent than you are used to. Just guess work here I'm afraid.

Last edited by jmh; Apr 26th 2011 at 5:35 am.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 5:38 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

Alison Holst is the kiwi version of Delia!

Not sure if this is failsafe but its Alison Holst so I presume it is. I don't like gingernuts so haven't tried it.
100gmelted butter
1teaspoon golden syrup
1cup (200g) sugar
2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 egg
1teaspoon B Soda - level and no lumps
1 3/4 cups flour
Melt butter. Heat tablespoon in hot water and use to measure then stir G Syrup into butter
Add sugar, ginger, egg and mix well with a fork
Mix B Soda into room temperature mixture (make sure its not warm!)
Add flour and stir to make soft, workable dough
Roll into balls, flatten slightly with fork.
Bake about 10mins in oven preheated to 180oC
Watch at end of cooking as they can burn easily.
Makes 50-70 biscuits (unless you're making giant size!)
Old Apr 26th 2011, 5:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmh
Alison Holst is the kiwi version of Delia!
Thank you I'll give that a try
Old Apr 26th 2011, 11:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I use butter for all my baking over here but used to use Stork margarine more in the UK. Butter & various margarines all have different 'elastic limits' which affects the 'rise' or 'stretch' of a cake, biscuit etc. I used to use Stork (especially for cakes) as it had the best elastic limit.

However, saying that I have had problems with some of my baking since arriving here that I never had in the UK. My Gingernuts recipe has been in use since 1st year at secondary school & I'm in my *cough, cough* mid-40's now. But mine don't spread like they used to . As others have suggested, I believe it's down to the flour. I now increase the liquid content of a recipe until the mixture 'feels' right. For example, the choux paste recipe I've been using since I went to Catering college, I have to use 5 eggs instead of four to get the correct consistency.

Bit of trial & error required I'm afraid but you'll get there in the end .

When you've got them right can you send us all some please
Old Apr 27th 2011, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
I use butter for all my baking over here but used to use Stork margarine more in the UK. Butter & various margarines all have different 'elastic limits' which affects the 'rise' or 'stretch' of a cake, biscuit etc. I used to use Stork (especially for cakes) as it had the best elastic limit.

However, saying that I have had problems with some of my baking since arriving here that I never had in the UK. My Gingernuts recipe has been in use since 1st year at secondary school & I'm in my *cough, cough* mid-40's now. But mine don't spread like they used to . As others have suggested, I believe it's down to the flour. I now increase the liquid content of a recipe until the mixture 'feels' right. For example, the choux paste recipe I've been using since I went to Catering college, I have to use 5 eggs instead of four to get the correct consistency.

Bit of trial & error required I'm afraid but you'll get there in the end .

When you've got them right can you send us all some please
Thank you - I used to use stork marg too, which made me think it may be the butter - but I guess the flour may be different too I'll have a play around with the recipe and see and see if I can get them to spread out a bit Once I've got them sorted (and flat) I'll send some on!!