Baggage query

Old Aug 21st 2014, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice
Default Baggage query

Get the abacus out....

We are a family of 4 and have an allowance of 40 kg each...

I'd like to bring 4 X 30 kg bags and 2 X 20 kg bags (TOTAL = 160 kg). However, technically we'd be checking in 50 kg for the 2 adults and only 30 kg for the 2 toddlers.

Would an airline pull you up for technically checking in greater than your individual allowance? Or because the total weight is okay, should we be fine?

The main carrier in Singapore AIr but our first connecting flight is Aer Lingus...
Old Aug 21st 2014, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baggage query

Simply. No. It's the total amount they look at
Old Aug 21st 2014, 8:06 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

as Hebe says its per item not total weight
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 8:46 pm
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

We made our infants 10 kg into one big bag. All totalling 32kg for 3 and 1 10 kg for our allowance. We weren't allowed to spread it over anymore than 4 bags for 4 of us.it come to 98kgs
Old Aug 25th 2014, 9:29 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Airlines vary, so you should check with each one, but my experience has been the same as the others. It's the total weight that counts. It use to be different going through the US, but I think that depends on the airline too.
Old Aug 25th 2014, 7:11 pm
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

We went with sig airlines
Old Aug 26th 2014, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

Polly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to behold

Some airlines are strict on this, the rule is made for the safety of the baggage handlers. My uncle had to re pack one bag that weighed only 3kg over and put the clothes in a plastic bag, that was at Brisbane airport. They had a total of 43kg between two people and the allowance p/p was 20kg, they also charged him excess for the whole 3kg, that was because he "Now" had three bags, for goodness sakes.
I fly in and out of europe to OZ and NZ about 4 times a year, yes it does depend on the airline and the airport (OZ ones are the strictest) but to be honest, its the luck of the draw who you get at the counter too.
Last year, I flew with my daughter and grandchild from Sydney to Auckland, we were well under the total allowance between us, got a real nasty woman at check in, we were sent away to reduce the weight of one bag, it does happen, believe me!!!!!!!!
My experience with Singapore air and the check in, has been OK on this.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

Thanks for the advice guys.

I need not have worried, both Aer Lingus and Singapore Air were absolutely terrific. The Aer Lingus lady in Belfast was verging on being a legend. She saw we had 2 wee kids, and I don't even think she added up the total in the end, just nothing was a problem to her. We also had a massive double buggy which we picked up at both Heathrow and SIngapore.

That all said, 2 out of our 8 items are still in Singapore lol. But they say we'll get them tomorrow....
Old Aug 27th 2014, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

Polly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to behold

Thats great, good luck!