Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Baggage allowances

Baggage allowances

Old Aug 16th 2006, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Baggage allowances

I was looking on the Oz forum and noticed that Singapore Airlines gave 40 kg baggage allowance to emigrants - but people recommended that they got a confirmation by email.

So I sent them an email and they said that the 40 kg was only allowed to Australia and not NZ! But as a gesture they would give us 30 kg per person. Bit strange when NZ is further.

Does anyone know what the charge is per kg for excess baggage with SA or is it variable? I know Air Gabon (don't go there...I wish I hadn't!) charge 20 euros per kg.

Cheers,

Bob.
Old Aug 16th 2006, 8:30 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Baggage allowances

Originally Posted by Woodlea
I was looking on the Oz forum and noticed that Singapore Airlines gave 40 kg baggage allowance to emigrants - but people recommended that they got a confirmation by email.

So I sent them an email and they said that the 40 kg was only allowed to Australia and not NZ! But as a gesture they would give us 30 kg per person. Bit strange when NZ is further.

Does anyone know what the charge is per kg for excess baggage with SA or is it variable? I know Air Gabon (don't go there...I wish I hadn't!) charge 20 euros per kg.

Cheers,

Bob.
Hi Bob,

I was told to ask a travel agent or the airline itself!! No info on their website as to charges. Economy allowance is 20kgs, so I'd grab the offer of 30 and get in there!! Bear in mind no single item of baggage can be over 32kg! Unless you're a weightlifter!! (They're very slight these Singaporeans!)

Caroline
Old Aug 16th 2006, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, we probably won't be much over that anyway...I hope.
Old Aug 16th 2006, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Cheers,

Bob.
we came out in march and flew singapore, they gave me an extra 10 kilos cus I had a migrant visa but not other half as he is a kiwi and wasnt emigrating

we actually had about 62kilos in total and they let us thru

excess baggage can be quite pricey
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:46 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Cheers,

Bob.
If you go via LA with Air NZ, you get more of a baggage allowance, I think it was 40kg per person when I went over....

Rich
Old Aug 17th 2006, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kwprwn
we came out in march and flew singapore, they gave me an extra 10 kilos cus I had a migrant visa but not other half as he is a kiwi and wasnt emigrating

we actually had about 62kilos in total and they let us thru

excess baggage can be quite pricey
Hi,
We were also told by Singapore airlines that the extra allowance was for Australia only. They also said that because we were stoping over in Singapore that we wouldn't qualify anyway! However, we turned up at the airport really early, told them we were told we would get additional allowance if we asked and basically grovelled a bit (this was at Heathrow and Singapore) and they let us through with 150 kilos (four persons)!!! I'd suggest trying the same thing and remember to stay calm and smile a lot.
Mark
Old Aug 17th 2006, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

leedge has a spectacular aura aboutleedge has a spectacular aura aboutleedge has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Markk
Hi,
We were also told by Singapore airlines that the extra allowance was for Australia only. They also said that because we were stoping over in Singapore that we wouldn't qualify anyway! However, we turned up at the airport really early, told them we were told we would get additional allowance if we asked and basically grovelled a bit (this was at Heathrow and Singapore) and they let us through with 150 kilos (four persons)!!! I'd suggest trying the same thing and remember to stay calm and smile a lot.
Mark
If you fly Air NZ (or anyone else for that matter) via the USA you'll get two pieces of luggage each of 23Kg (I managed 22.5kg in each suitcase!!), plus when I booked they were the cheapest for single fares - although only if you book on their own website, expedia and lastminute were both £600 dearer tha AirNZ's own website!
Old Aug 17th 2006, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by leedge
If you fly Air NZ (or anyone else for that matter) via the USA you'll get two pieces of luggage each of 23Kg (I managed 22.5kg in each suitcase!!), plus when I booked they were the cheapest for single fares - although only if you book on their own website, expedia and lastminute were both £600 dearer tha AirNZ's own website!
Thanks everyone - guess we'll just have to suck it and see - just like 'er indoors.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks everyone - guess we'll just have to suck it and see - just like 'er indoors.
emirates give extra baggage for OZ migrants, have you checked with them, I dont remember as I can only remember from booking people to OZ (when I was a travel agent)
Old Aug 25th 2006, 12:16 pm
the wagstaffs

neilwaggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Most scheduled airlines show 20kg on the ticket but it is normal practise for the airline to allow upt to 30kg per person. If you have over 30kgs, then the airline may start to charge for excess. This varies from airline to airline, but is never ever cheap. Most UK airports owned by the BAA enforce a maximum baggage weight of 32kgs per peice.. This is for health and safety reasons - so if you are going to pull your allowance (ie: put both your stuff in one suitcase) bear this in mind. If in doubt, be nice to the agent. They have a margin they can work within, and if you upset them it may hurt your wallet!
Old Aug 25th 2006, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

beaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the rough

Hi

We have booked Singapore Airlines with a 2 night stopover in Singapore and after reading this last week emailed Singapore airlines.

They have now given us 30kg each even though we're stopping over.

Its worth contacting them, i was very friendly and explained that the rest of our belongings would be in a container for 6-8 weeks and the more they could allow us would be appreciated.

Hope it helps.

Judy
Old Aug 25th 2006, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by beaudixon
Hi

We have booked Singapore Airlines with a 2 night stopover in Singapore and after reading this last week emailed Singapore airlines.

They have now given us 30kg each even though we're stopping over.

Its worth contacting them, i was very friendly and explained that the rest of our belongings would be in a container for 6-8 weeks and the more they could allow us would be appreciated.

Hope it helps.

Judy
I think there is a certain amount of luck involved in this and depends who you happen to speak to. If you get turned down the first time you try, ring back the next day and hopefully you'll get someone else! The thing to remember is that you have to stay cool and friendly.There is a good chance you will get what you want.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 10:17 pm
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

When I worked for them three years ago it was £31.00 odd PER KILO to New Zealand, so its probably more than that now...do you think you will have much more than that ??? PM me if you think you are going to struggle, I still know all the staff that work at Heathrow...

If you decide to go via Lax, Air Nz changed the baggage allowance and its now 2 pce at 23kgs each, so a little more...
Old Aug 26th 2006, 4:25 am
Freak of nature

asiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud of

We got an email confirming 30Kg baggage and 7Kg carry-on and handbag (ladies) and coats (have one with big deep pockets).

We flew in April 2006 before the recent security scares. We had 14 items between 4 people. Maximum 32Kg per items, due to heavy lifting limit of baggage handlers. Only our baggage was weighed, not the hand baggage or coats etc. Our 2 large and heavy removals boxes (containing the car seats and other things) were taken away on an 'Oversized Baggage' trolley as they did not fit on the check-in desk scales - they were never weighed. And best of all our baggage was check-in straight through from Heathrow to Auckland. So when we took an over-night stop in Singapore, we only had to worry about our hand luggage, plus we didn't need to check-in again at Singapore.

Also, Singapore Airlines were very accommodating with the children.
Good luck