Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Baggage Allowance - flying to UK by Qatar Airways

Baggage Allowance - flying to UK by Qatar Airways

Old Oct 26th 2018, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

BtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really nice
Default Baggage Allowance - flying to UK by Qatar Airways

Hi there! Just wondering if anyone has flown to the UK by Qatar recently from NZ? We have booked tickets with them but the baggage allowance is vague when it comes to numbers of nags each passenger can carry. It clearly states 30kg total in weight per person, but fails to clearly give any indication of bag numbers. I'm not alone in the confusion as google shows me a lot of people asking the same thing regarding Qatars vague baggage rules on their website - but none from NZ.
To clarify, Emirates allow 30kgs but state this weight can be spread across up to 10 bags.

We are moving back to the UK and flying in to Manchester have a few bags of things we would like to take each - if we can(!).

Please anyone with actual experience with this airline let me know - anyone just guessing, thanks but I can do that myself

TIA

b
Old Oct 26th 2018, 6:21 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baggage Allowance - flying to UK by Qatar Airways

from here: https://www.qatarairways.com/en-jp/b...allowance.html
it depends on your ticket and destination. it does state on there if more than one baggage is allowed, see Economy flights to and from Brazil you can have 2 pieces, each not exceed 23kg so assume if it does not say more than one then its one.
I also see that children 11 and under baggage allowance is not to exceed 10kg. https://www.qatarairways.com/en/fami...s-baggage.html
Old Oct 26th 2018, 6:24 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

just found this: says no limit just weight
https://www.skyscanner.net/news/tips...ance-explained

ahh 2 pieces are free for those for Brazil
Old Oct 27th 2018, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

BtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really nice

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
from here: https://www.qatarairways.com/en-jp/b...allowance.html
it depends on your ticket and destination. it does state on there if more than one baggage is allowed, see Economy flights to and from Brazil you can have 2 pieces, each not exceed 23kg so assume if it does not say more than one then its one.
I also see that children 11 and under baggage allowance is not to exceed 10kg. https://www.qatarairways.com/en/fami...s-baggage.html

Yep been through all this several times - hence why I'm looking for someone who has actually experienced the airline
Old Oct 27th 2018, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BtotheR
Yep been through all this several times - hence why I'm looking for someone who has actually experienced the airline
If it's that important how about you try doing it the old fashioned way and call up the airline.
Old Oct 27th 2018, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
If it's that important how about you try doing it the old fashioned way and call up the airline.
Bo Jangles - you could write a version of that comment for 70-80% of the questions on here - so why don't you? I did ask specifically for anyone with actual experience with the airline in my last paragraph - I'm not being rude just looking for a concrete answer without having to spend hours on the phone to a call centre.
Old Oct 28th 2018, 1:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Just because one person may have gotten away with ten pieces of luggage on what may have been a moment of sheer luck or a slow day, it does not necessarily follow that you will. So in this instance if it matters that much and you are relying on it not being a potentially expensive problem, then the experience of others is not the best idea. We've all been stuck in the queue behind idiots that have a truckload of luggage and you only have yourself to blame if you rock up at the airport with a trolley load of bags and claim some random, she'll be right folks on the internet said it would be fine.
Old Oct 28th 2018, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Struggling to see why this is even a question
I mean... Seriously !!

Last edited by Justcol; Oct 28th 2018 at 4:54 am.
Old Oct 28th 2018, 7:35 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Just because one person may have gotten away with ten pieces of luggage on what may have been a moment of sheer luck or a slow day, it does not necessarily follow that you will. So in this instance if it matters that much and you are relying on it not being a potentially expensive problem, then the experience of others is not the best idea. We've all been stuck in the queue behind idiots that have a truckload of luggage and you only have yourself to blame if you rock up at the airport with a trolley load of bags and claim some random, she'll be right folks on the internet said it would be fine.
As a fairly seasoned (over 20 year longhaul) traveller I have to agree. I always travel back from the UK having bought half of Tescos and too many books. I push the weight limits to the extreme and usually get away with it. But I am always prepared for that last minute luggage shuffle t get stuff out of the hold luggage and repack I would never recommend anyone tries to guess at their allowance, or tries too copy me, its too much hassle on the day.
If its not clear then email the airline and get the details in writing. Turning up and saying "well it was ok for Mr XXX last week" won't get you anywhere, this is the ind of question that needs answering from the airline themselves.
Old Oct 28th 2018, 8:08 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there! Just wondering if anyone has flown to the UK by Qatar recently from NZ? We have booked tickets with them but the baggage allowance is vague when it comes to numbers of nags each passenger can carry. It clearly states 30kg total in weight per person, but fails to clearly give any indication of bag numbers. I'm not alone in the confusion as google shows me a lot of people asking the same thing regarding Qatars vague baggage rules on their website - but none from NZ.
To clarify, Emirates allow 30kgs but state this weight can be spread across up to 10 bags.

We are moving back to the UK and flying in to Manchester have a few bags of things we would like to take each - if we can(!).

Please anyone with actual experience with this airline let me know - anyone just guessing, thanks but I can do that myself

TIA

b
You're only allowed 30kg of baggage each, so spreading that between different bags doesn't mean you could take more stuff, in fact because the bags themselves weigh you'd be worse off.

If I were you I'd stick to one suitcase each with your 30kg allowance in each, and if you have more things you'd like to take maybe investigate the best way to ship/fly these over separately. Valuables like jewellery should be packed in your carry on bags. Hope you have a good flight(s), Qatar are pretty good for long hauls.
Old Oct 28th 2018, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

OK - as a seasoned traveler myself after 14 years here going back and forth for visits, and I travel by plane in nz and abroad with work alot - with different airlines I have experienced the number of bags differs hugely on different carriers as this is huge factor with my job as we carry a lot of equipment. Some are just two bags up to 25 or 30kg, others are up to 10 bags put to 30kgs. The reason I asked is, as most will see, is the quatar website is none specific about number of bags and I have never flown with them before. We are travelling back with a lot of clothes etc as we are moving back to the UK - hence the weight won't be heavy but the bag numbers will be higher.

It was a simple question - I have never flown with Qatar before - if someone told me that they travelled Quatar last week or last month to Manchester and 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9- 20 bags were allowed by the airline, then that would have been my answer (airlines don't change these policies regularly or quickly).

So after three attempts and just under two hours on hold, I spoke to Qatar callcentre - the is answer up to 10 bags with the total weight of all being 30kg. I was trying to not to have do that and get the answer here which was a shame no one had flown with them recently, but it seems weird to be hit up about this question??

Oh well...

Last edited by BtotheR; Oct 28th 2018 at 8:37 am.
Old Oct 28th 2018, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Justcol
Struggling to see why this is even a question
I mean... Seriously !!
I know!!! Can you believe it!??
Old Oct 28th 2018, 8:56 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

OK - as a seasoned traveler myself after 14 years here going back and forth for visits, and I travel by plane in nz and abroad with work alot - with different airlines I have experienced the number of bags differs hugely on different carriers as this is huge factor with my job as we carry a lot of equipment. Some are just two bags up to 25 or 30kg, others are up to 10 bags put to 30kgs. The reason I asked is, as most will see, is the quatar website is none specific about number of bags and I have never flown with them before. We are travelling back with a lot of clothes etc as we are moving back to the UK - hence the weight won't be heavy but the bag numbers will be higher.
E
It was a simple question - I have never flown with Qatar before - if someone told me that they travelled Quatar last week or last month to Manchester and 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9- 20 bags were allowed by the airline, then that would have been my answer (airlines don't change these policies regularly or quickly).

So after three attempts and just under two hours on hold, I spoke to Qatar callcentre - the is answer up to 10 bags with the total weight of all being 30kg. I was trying to not to have do that and get the answer here which was a shame no one had flown with them recently, but it seems weird to be hit up about this question??

Oh well...
Excellent! Good to know the official answer! I know with Qantas they do change policies quite often so its always based to find out the current situation I wasn't trying to cause you any angst, its just one of those questions where you really need the answer from the horse's mouth
Have a good flight!
Old Oct 28th 2018, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Excellent! Good to know the official answer! I know with Qantas they do change policies quite often so its always based to find out the current situation I wasn't trying to cause you any angst, its just one of those questions where you really need the answer from the horse's mouth
Have a good flight!
Thanks Pollyana - any advice on flying with a 16 month old for 27 hours (18 hours first flight) will be gratefully received.

I mean... Seriously !!
Old Oct 28th 2018, 9:46 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Pollyana - any advice on flying with a 16 month old for 27 hours (18 hours first flight) will be gratefully received.

I mean... Seriously !!
Have a bottle or dummy ready for take-offs and landings - helps with the ears if they are sucking on something.

Other than that, some of the foods they like, plenty of distractions and if they'll watch the in flight cartoons, a good set of headphones as the plane ones will be useless for a small child.

Changes of clothes for yourselves and little one as a just in case and try not to stress yourselves

PS - I flew with Qatar in July but couldn't answer your original question as I only had one hold bag and one carry on. They will weigh your carry on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.