baggage allowance

Old May 23rd 2008, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default baggage allowance

We have been to book our flights today and have been told
that we do not qualify for the double baggage allowance as we
dont have migrants visas.
We have PR visas which apparently do qualify for the extra allowance
when i spoke to the airline and explained that we would be migrating and
surely that would make us migrants they said it down to the type of visa you have.
can anyone shed any light on this ?
Old May 23rd 2008, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

ginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: baggage allowance

I booked my tickets with Singapore Air today and when i spoke to them about getting larger luggage allowances because we were emigrating they asked what visa we had, I told them that we had a Residence Visa, they wanted to know whether it had be used before, I said no, so they said it was OK and that they've give us the extra luggage allowance. I wanted confirmation of this, so they've told me to email them so that I can get written confirmation.

Now whether or not I do get the written confirmation I'll just have to wait and see, I'll let you know what happens.

HTH
Gina
Old May 24th 2008, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that.
thats the same question they asked me and the same answer i gave them
Old May 24th 2008, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

ginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the rough

I got a reply from them this morning

"Passengers emigrating to New Zealand are entitled to double baggage allowance providing they are holding the correct visa.

The visa must be an unused migrant visa that states to remain in New Zealand indefinitely. If you are holding this visa you will be entitled to double baggage allowance on production of the visa at check in.

You can have as many items of luggage as you wish providing no one single item of baggage exceeds 32kgs in weight. This is a health and safety requirement.

If you are not holding the correct visa then we will only be able to waive an additional 5kgs to your free checked baggage allowance.

Singapore Airlines policy on cabin baggage allows you to carry one item of cabin baggage only, per passenger, which must not weigh more than 7 kilos, and must not exceed 115cm in dimensions (height + depth + width). There are currently strict guidelines regarding to carry on baggage and we would strongly advise you to visit www.dft.gov.uk for these restrictions."

So I'm assuming that my husbands Residence Visa is going to be adequate, but that he's the only one that will get the double luggage allowance as both me and the kids have dual Kiwi/British citizenship and are travelling on our kiwi passports and have no visas so we'll get 5kg extra each.

It's better than nothing though
HTH
Gina
Old May 27th 2008, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

OneManAndHisDog is an unknown quantity at this point

I think all the flights via LA get the double baggage allowance (something like 2 x 22kg). Might be worth considering.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 11:22 pm

Tan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...87#post6454887

Anyone thinking of Singapore Airlines and double allowance please take a look at the thread above. Would hate for anyone to get hit with the cost of excess baggage at the last minute.....this moving malarkey is expensive enough already!

Tan
Old Jun 10th 2008, 11:49 pm
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

I'm pretty sure that all passengers flying to Auckland via LA on Air New Zealand are entitled to Double baggage allowance whether immigrating or not

Old Jun 10th 2008, 11:56 pm
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tan0410
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...87#post6454887

Anyone thinking of Singapore Airlines and double allowance please take a look at the thread above. Would hate for anyone to get hit with the cost of excess baggage at the last minute.....this moving malarkey is expensive enough already!

Tan
Extra baggage charged at £75 regardless of weight, so if not entitled fill em up to max weight.

Hand luggage changes with the seasons, check hand luggage allowance, when we left in December 07 it was one bag each so women could either have a handbag or larger bag. Some airlines let women carry a handbag + carry on bag.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

mart19630 is an unknown quantity at this point

As of Yesturday I was told by Singapore Airlines I can only take one bag but allowed up to 40kg in weight with a PR Visa, If you don't have the correct visa or on a second trip it will cost £29 per extra kilo over the standard 20kg, it seems to vary who you talk to.
I was also told that LA are also looking at changing their baggage allowance and reducing it to 20kg per bag (2 allowed) not sure when though.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

I've now been told by Singapore Airlines that my hubby can have a maximum of 25kg as he has a Residence Visa and on the visa in his passport it doesn't say that he can stay indefinitely in NZ. Me and the kids only get 20kg each because we're using kiwi passports. It's 7kg each for hand luggage. For excess luggage the guy at Singapore Airlines said that it would be £30/kg.

We're now shipping a few more boxes of stuff over cos we don't seem to be able to get the allowance for the flight that we thought we were originally getting.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 11:50 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Check it out you are charged x amount for excess weight in a bag, but if you take an extra bag £75 as long as doed not exceed maximum weight (luggage for hold, not carry on). So excess baggage works out cheaper than excess weight.

But it does vary depending on the time of year - that's what we were told, check regularly as changes frequently.

Pauline
Old Jun 11th 2008, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

I've just rung Singapore Airlines again and they've confirmed to me that any additional luggage over your allowance will be charged at £30/kg.

Which is a shame because I was looking forward to £75/bag for extra bags, cos that's about how much it's going to cost me to ship my boxes - about £70/box.