British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Bad news comes in threes, right? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/bad-news-comes-threes-right-444411/)

Maz Apr 23rd 2007 5:24 pm

Bad news comes in threes, right?

My world has fallen apart this morning, ever so suddenly.

From having a case officer and having her wanting more docs to "assess our EOI", I then go to the PO to pick up the registered letter she sent. She knocked off 25 points from the EOI because my 18-year old degree isn't a B.Sc. in Computer Science. Even if it were, it would hardly be up to date and relevant, would it now? We're back in the pool with 100 points. I've given up on that route.

Oh, and I'm getting made redundant.

So I might well be signing off from this site. I don't know what else could go wrong, but I'm sure something will.

Getting quite depressed now.

Best of luck to you all in your hopes and dreams, and it was an immense pleasure to meet some of you at Rob & Melanie's, a true gift of friendship.

Bye,

Marion
xxx

mazi Apr 23rd 2007 5:30 pm

Re: Bad news comes in threes, right?

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 4685841)

From having a case officer and having her wanting more docs to "assess our EOI", I then go to the PO to pick up the registered letter she sent. She knocked off 25 points from the EOI because my 18-year old degree isn't a B.Sc. in Computer Science. Even if it were, it would hardly be up to date and relevant, would it now? We're back in the pool with 100 points. I've given up on that route.

So I might well be signing off from this site. I don't know what else could go wrong, but I'm sure something will.

Best of luck to you all in your hopes and dreams, and it was an immense pleasure to meet some of you at Rob & Melanie's, a true gift of friendship.

Bye,

Marion
xxx

Come on Maz, pull yourself together - I don't think this is like you. Of course, that's not to belittle what you're going through and feeling right now but you do know it will get better and things happen for a reason. The redundancy is not the end of the world - I'm a firm believer in redundancy being a good thing, it really helps you re-evaluate things and go down a different (better?!) path - and as for the 100 points - plenty of others have got in on that. You're an intelligent woman - look at all the bananas they let in. Have a drink and pool your resources tomorrow.:)

Jack The Lad Apr 23rd 2007 5:39 pm

Bye,

Marion
xxx

Oh bugger :thumbdown:

DO NOT GIVE UP!!! :mad:

You have been and seen the light. Try whatever and do whatever you have to. But do not give up.

Or Im gonna come and get ya :eek:

Suicide Sheep Apr 23rd 2007 5:43 pm

Maz, I know it's easy to say "keep your chin up!", but I do hope that you don't give up on your dream. From what I've read, and the posts that you contribute to you seem like such a lovely lady.
I know it's early days and you are feeling low, but keep applying for jobs and get back the points that you need!

Big hugs and karma coming your way.

suzi n steve Apr 23rd 2007 6:05 pm

Don't leave!! I may be a newbie but I would love to be in the pool with 100 points. As it is we're struggling to get them. You still have a chance of being selected again. As someone else said 'look at the bananas they let in'

Redundancy, although never really welcome, does give you the opportunity to reassess what you want to do. Plus gives you time to get yourself over to NZ for some job interviews!!!

Keep plugging away at it, dreams do come true.

happynz Apr 23rd 2007 6:24 pm

Yeah, commiserations. I was made redundant 23 February and now I've been relief teaching here in California for the past two months. Mid-June I'll be back to Christchurch. Then I'll be hitting the bricks looking for something that'll earn a crust.
Sometimes you gotta zig and you gotta zag and other times just plow ahead. You gonna let some faceless bureaucrat snuff your dreams. No way! So, don't give up.

UKNZAUS Apr 23rd 2007 7:05 pm

Maz! Please don't go! You have had job interviews and could end up with a job offer, bumping your points right back up again! Please don't give up - you will get there, as will we! If you've just had points knocked off, we're going to have them knocked off too as Carl only has a Diploma :( BUT I'm not giving up - I'm fighting to the end and you can too ;)

Be strong hun, you'll get there!

Michelle x

ezzkazz Apr 23rd 2007 7:39 pm

stuff happens for a reason and I am a firm believer in fate. You may think everything couldnt get any worse for you but you will reflect on this as just a minor setback when you are getting on a plane going to the country you want to be in.
Some cuddly karma to you :wub:

Sal41 Apr 23rd 2007 7:51 pm

Hey Hunny,

Hang in there, stay strong :o
We had a huge setback last year so we had to put our plans back a year, as others have said things do happen for a reason, keep fighting for your dream.

Take care big hugs and happy thoughts sent your way :rofl:

loadsa luv

Sal :wub:

RobClubley Apr 23rd 2007 7:55 pm

Don't give up!

You might get a job offer soon.

Is 100 points enough to get you selected these days?

Beachcombers Apr 23rd 2007 8:21 pm

Mazi is right as well, redundancy is like a catalyst, a reason to move forward. You have a 100 points now, so get yourself over here, get a job, get selected.

We got in on 110 points, so they will let anyone in! :D

Leighlou Apr 23rd 2007 8:35 pm

Hi Maz,
This could have been me writing your thread last month. Exactly the same situation. We'd not realised that the rules had changed and that the work experience in IT Project management has to be supported by a relevant degree, and that the History degree OH has counts for nothing! We're back in the pool with 105 points! :frown:

As you say, what good would a degree in computer sciences be now, if 18 years old? OH pointed out that the only computers that he was aware when he did his degree was ZX Sinclaires!:eek:

Now, I just wanted to say, 1 month on from this news, and we are still determined that we are going to NZ, PR or not, and we'll get a job offer, and then stay on the back of this.

You just need this news to settle in, and you'll come to terms with it, and move on with your new plans.

I'm sorry about your redundancy too. Could you use this to your advantage and bring your plans forward to go to NZ now? Do you get a good payout?

Hang on in there, you just need time to take it all in and re-evaluate!:) You'll be fine. Thank goodness you have the backing of all the wonderful people on this site that you have made friends with that are here to support you through it. ((((((((((((big hugs to you!))))))))))))

Spacecake799 Apr 23rd 2007 9:30 pm

Bye,

Marion
xxx

Hi Maz,
Just get yourself over here as a visitor, as soon as you have that job offer you can apply for residency.
We had our EOI rejected last year due to the points and as OH has microsoft qualifications which are'nt recognised no way of being selected again. So we sold our house and came out with nothing. OH got a job offer, we got work permits, kids are now at school.
I submitted a new EOI in Feb, again we had an issue with points. Managed to find 5 more to get us to 105. ITA was on the doorstep the following morning.
You can do it, it will work, its just slightly more risky. Good Luck.
Carole:thumbsup:

happynz Apr 23rd 2007 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Spacecake799 (Post 4686917)
Hi Maz,
Just get yourself over here as a visitor, as soon as you have that job offer you can apply for residency.
We had our EOI rejected last year due to the points and as OH has microsoft qualifications which are'nt recognised no way of being selected again. So we sold our house and came out with nothing. OH got a job offer, we got work permits, kids are now at school.
I submitted a new EOI in Feb, again we had an issue with points. Managed to find 5 more to get us to 105. ITA was on the doorstep the following morning.
You can do it, it will work, its just slightly more risky. Good Luck.
Carole:thumbsup:

Brilliant advice!

*Cue KC and the Sunshine Band*

That's the way, uh-huh uh-huh!

phil01 Apr 23rd 2007 10:35 pm

Hi Maz,
quickest, easiest route is to come out and get a job offer if you can't get PR straight away get a job over $45k a year and do it through WTR! You end up with the same result just takes a bit longer!
Debbie