Bad long quake.

Old Nov 14th 2016, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bad long quake.

Originally Posted by BEVS
Very bad long quake here just now.

Somewhere has been hit.
We hope that all who are affected are able to remain safe.

Steve & Lynn
Old Nov 14th 2016, 12:05 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by paddy234
Another strong shake of 6.7 there
Yup. Up here also.

Agree about the sirens Pom. Oddly, I learnt a few weeks ago that it had been decided that the Tsunami siren would not be used here in the event of a warning. We were simply to use our discretion. How stupid is that.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 12:14 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Yup. Up here also.

Agree about the sirens Pom. Oddly, I learnt a few weeks ago that it had been decided that the Tsunami siren would not be used here in the event of a warning. We were simply to use our discretion. How stupid is that.
WTF?! Now that is mentals. Then you get all the speculation on all the local facebook pages, chaos ensues and then we're told not to panic I would have thought they would understand that one cannot use discretion when under a flippin' 5m tidal wave.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

SSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond repute

As usual not one rational action came from me during the first shake, I sat frozen to the sofa for about 30 seconds waiting for it subside, when it didn't and just continued to get stupidly strong I jumped up and stood by the ranch sliders watching the house turn to jelly around me. Only' I' could think standing in front of the largest sheet of glass in the house would be safe duh!
The earth feels like it's constantly moving beneath us now and I feel kind of woozy all the time. Nothing damaged here apart from lots of loose pine trees, the other half is checking out the rental in Rangiora today.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 12:27 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SSky
As usual not one rational action came from me during the first shake, I sat frozen to the sofa for about 30 seconds waiting for it subside, when it didn't and just continued to get stupidly strong I jumped up and stood by the ranch sliders watching the house turn to jelly around me. Only' I' could think standing in front of the largest sheet of glass in the house would be safe duh!
The earth feels like it's constantly moving beneath us now and I feel kind of woozy all the time. Nothing damaged here apart from lots of loose pine trees, the other half is checking out the rental in Rangiora today.
That's why they recommend that you actually rehearse your action plan, especially where kids are involved. If you walk it through and take action it will come automatically to you when a disaster actually happens. It's a good idea when you are visiting a new location, e.g. on holiday. Walk the fire route in a hotel so that you can do it automatically if a fire happens. Fire drills should involve making people actually leave the building, not just sit at their desks nodding their heads. I saw this advice on a tv programme by an expert. Lot's of people freeze in an emergency - you minimise your risk by walking the escape route.

The also reported on the security officer at Morgan Stanley in the Word Trade Centre who had insisted that all staff participated in regular drills that involved leaving the building. When 9/11 happened staff survived because they knew what to do and did it. Many others died because they did not take the correct action when they could.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...tragglers.html

Last edited by jmh; Nov 14th 2016 at 12:39 am.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 12:49 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Tsunami warnings have been cleared earlier but wondering if they should all be put back on until we have at least 6 hours free from strong quakes. River Clarence is blocked so people better be wary of what goes on in that area.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 2:15 am
`

Well ha!
Nelson is cut off due to road closures and damage. Would not have fancied the Whangamoa or Hope Saddles anyway. Mind you there will be no freight in and out either .

Does mean MrBEVS will not be sent to Blenheim but will remain in the Nelson area checking the plumbing of commercial buildings and schools etc.

Of course one could always flee to Jelly Welly.

Last edited by BEVS; Nov 14th 2016 at 2:56 am.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 2:39 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

looks like the dam has breached in Clarence so large amount of water on its way down.
taken from twitter:

URGENT WARNING to people living near the Clarence River, Slip Dam has breached and a large wall of water is heading downstream
Old Nov 14th 2016, 2:42 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

The real question is if I'm off to work tomorrow or just lying around reading a book again? Has anyone said when the CBD will be reopened?
Old Nov 14th 2016, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

SSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
That's why they recommend that you actually rehearse your action plan, especially where kids are involved. If you walk it through and take action it will come automatically to you when a disaster actually happens. It's a good idea when you are visiting a new location, e.g. on holiday. Walk the fire route in a hotel so that you can do it automatically if a fire happens. Fire drills should involve making people actually leave the building, not just sit at their desks nodding their heads. I saw this advice on a tv programme by an expert. Lot's of people freeze in an emergency - you minimise your risk by walking the escape route.

The also reported on the security officer at Morgan Stanley in the Word Trade Centre who had insisted that all staff participated in regular drills that involved leaving the building. When 9/11 happened staff survived because they knew what to do and did it. Many others died because they did not take the correct action when they could.

Twin Towers hero who predicted terror attacks led 2,700 to safety... but died as he went back to look for stragglers | Daily Mail Online
Yea done all that but I uaually just end up freezing or running around naked flapping my arms above my head. At least this time I was still up, awake and fully dressed.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic
The real question is if I'm off to work tomorrow or just lying around reading a book again? Has anyone said when the CBD will be reopened?
Welly CBD open tomorrow, if you can get in and you have checked with employer that the work space has been cleared to occupy
Old Nov 14th 2016, 3:05 am
`

Originally Posted by SSky
Yea done all that but I usually just end up freezing or running around naked flapping my arms above my head.
So true really.

Take it that's just for when you are home. Not out grocery shopping.

Where is Pom ? Pom . I hope you have heard from your pals in Kaikoura.
Word on the ground is that the place is somewhat 'munted'.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 3:34 am

only way into Kaikoura is by air.
no water, so no sewage, so guessing lots of electricity and mobile towers out
Old Nov 14th 2016, 3:49 am
`

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
only way into Kaikoura is by air.
no water, so no sewage, so guessing lots of electricity and mobile towers out
True. I was just hoping for her. So worrying.

Nelson is cut off. The roads in and out are not passable right now. That means no freight in and out. Obviously , this isn't major but it tells people that a quake doesn't just come , happen and go. It is an ongoing event.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 3:55 am

true, I heard somewhere, can't remember got some tabs open for reports, that its going to take the same pathway and time as ChCh to get it all back to some sort of normality.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.