Bad long quake.

Old Nov 17th 2016, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Bad long quake.

Just imagine the Wellington Fault shifting like that.

The fault line runs right along The Terrace under multistory buildings.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 12:54 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Bad long quake.

Originally Posted by LoCarb
The Hutt "motorway" is the old wave shelf post 1855 Wairarapa earthquake. I'd suggest the uplift makes it easier to build a new road in many ways.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by LoCarb

The fault line runs right along The Terrace under multistory buildings.
Due to the damage done to wellington by an earthquake a good distance away wellington will be flattened if they get a stronger one that is MUCH closer
Old Nov 17th 2016, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by paddy234
Due to the damage done to wellington by an earthquake a good distance away wellington will be flattened if they get a stronger one that is MUCH closer
I agree Paddy, that's why I would never live in Welly
Old Nov 17th 2016, 3:29 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

That is a fair comment .
Old Nov 17th 2016, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

SSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond repute

I know they're saying the road is stuffed an all and it may never be fixed but it seems a bit daft to me, I mean what are they going to do with it then? Is it just going to be an overgrown ghost road?
Surely it'd still be worth fixing rather that building a new road?
You should have seen the state of the roads around Christchurch and Kaiapoi, I thought it would would take a miracle to make them usable again but they just bashed them back into shape and shoved a bit of filler in them and we are using them again in no time. Our poor cars just get beaten up faster that's all cos it's like off roading around some parts of Christchurch now.

This is more a question than a statement by the way, I have no idea of any of the logistics of fixing the roads up there really, just wondering out loud.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

SSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond repute

Poor Welly.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 5:07 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

well Wellington people are being evacuated from buildings because ones that had previously been marked as safe are actually not with a large possibility of the Reading Cinema car park collapsing. At least 4 other buildings cleared as safe have been told are not safe one by a structural engineer just looking up at the building to realise it wasn't actually safe.

I am absolutely fuming about this, how dare they put people lives at risk like this.

Another point, will they even bother to demolish and replace said buildings, some happen to be Government ones or will there be a group of people saying that things should move to Auckland and make that the Capital as its less likely to have problems caused by quakes?
Old Nov 17th 2016, 8:08 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Bad long quake.

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
well Wellington people are being evacuated from buildings because ones that had previously been marked as safe are actually not with a large possibility of the Reading Cinema car park collapsing. At least 4 other buildings cleared as safe have been told are not safe one by a structural engineer just looking up at the building to realise it wasn't actually safe.

I am absolutely fuming about this, how dare they put people lives at risk like this.

Another point, will they even bother to demolish and replace said buildings, some happen to be Government ones or will there be a group of people saying that things should move to Auckland and make that the Capital as its less likely to have problems caused by quakes?
I quote myself circa 5 years ago:
Originally Posted by Charismatic
My view is that with over centralised government in Wellington and lack of access routes in an emergency it's a potential catastrophe.
Thread title: What to look for in a house in Wellington?

My response: Earthquake resistance. HTH and good luck.
However the last thing Auckland needs is government departments bidding up floor space and contributing towards it's urban planning omnishambles. Move the capital by all means but lets move it somewhere better not worse.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/transport/...ectid=11749995 Has some very good coverage of the issues as opposed to most of the commentators of the Stuff article who seem to think the whole thing should be cleared in a week if only the useless Government would get their finger out.

Aftershocks and heavy rain will mean that it is a long while before it is safe to tackle some of the bigger slips. There is still a significamt chance of a 7+ aftershock. Not a good time to be half way up a slip in a digger.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

what a bloody mess, its so sad to see
Old Nov 17th 2016, 6:18 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

more urgent evacuation for Kaikoura as large land slips are expected. its just never ending
Old Nov 17th 2016, 6:51 pm
`

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Move the capital by all means but lets move it somewhere better not worse.
I would currently favour Dunedin.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 6:59 pm
`

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
Q&A: Why have there been so many landslides? - Transport - NZ Herald News Has some very good coverage of the issues as opposed to most of the commentators of the Stuff article who seem to think the whole thing should be cleared in a week if only the useless Government would get their finger out.

Aftershocks and heavy rain will mean that it is a long while before it is safe to tackle some of the bigger slips. There is still a significamt chance of a 7+ aftershock. Not a good time to be half way up a slip in a digger.
Yes. We have all that news here. They tend to meter out the bad news bit by bit IMO.

Oh yis! There will definitely be another significant quake with aftershocks and I am not looking forward to that.

I really used the link to give you actual footage of the state of SH1. For some reason I can't always access NZ Herald.

TBH the diggers are already out so already risking their lives.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 4:26 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Loving the building that was "inspected" but when employees went back they noticed the floor wasn't level. Employees now been told to sod off again while the engineers have (what i hope is) a propper look.

Interesting that New Zealand Post House/Kiwibank building was also damaged which is almost over the road from BNZ Bank call centre and round the corner from the Statistics New Zealand building. Surely the boffins will have to have a quiet cup of tea/coffee and a properly good think about what needs to be done to those waterfront buildings to reinforce the existing structures the secure fixtures, fittings etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.