Bad long quake.

Old Nov 14th 2016, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bad long quake.

My thoughts are with all of you down there in those gems of islands, especially you Pom_ChCh.

I hope all of the country gets behind you fully and helps get the areas back up to where they should be as soon as possible. Very very sad indeed - Kaikoura and surrounding areas are gorgeous places. Kaikoura is probably my favourite beauty spot in NZ - especially at that car park up the hill with the great view of the mountains and the sea.

Davros.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

wez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nice

I've been watching the coverage of this, just glad there hasn't been too many fatalitiies (although, anything over 0 is too many). My friend flew back to ChCh two weeks ago after 10 years in the UK and it was his birthday yesterday! He's fine though.

All i'll add is i hope the 7.5 was the worst one and it calms down from there. Stay safe my NZ family
Old Nov 14th 2016, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

SSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddy234
I hope so, the big worry i have is that this could trigger faultines much closer to Christchurch and Wellington. If we get good shakes over 6 on the Richter scale around heavily populated areas the devastation will be just too much to bare and the cost of the Christchurch rebuild is already in the tens of billions not to mention this one is going to cost billions.

Anyway I'll try and stop this talk of doom and gloom. Thoughts are with those in the affected areas and hope they get all the help they need to recover
Christchurch city is probably one of the strongest and safest cities in NZ now with all the awesome new earthquake strong buildings going up. Also surrounding towns have had loads of new buildings including my nearest towns Oxford and Rangiora which are awesome now and growing hugely. Quite a few buildings in both needed to come down anyways, they were just tired depressing old shacks and the feel in both places now is very positive and vibrant and growing.
Think positive
Old Nov 14th 2016, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SSky
Christchurch city is probably one of the strongest and safest cities in NZ now with all the awesome new earthquake strong buildings going up. Also surrounding towns have had loads of new buildings including my nearest towns Oxford and Rangiora which are awesome now and growing hugely. Quite a few buildings in both needed to come down anyways, they were just tired depressing old shacks and the feel in both places now is very positive and vibrant and growing.
Think positive
Yes I agree here, and a lot more probably since I was last there in 2013.

Been chatting to a few friends and making sure all are ok in Chch and surrounds, I am still coming over for my visit in April and moving back end of next year...

Hope everyone everywhere is ok on this forum...
Old Nov 14th 2016, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

SSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I know it's unimportant in the grand scheme of things but I hope those cows get rescued in the video further down the page.
Poor cows, I watched that video last night.
Look at them all confused and just standing there, at least I hope someone drops a bit of food for them while they wait for rescue.
I wonder how high up they are on that little bit of earth, cows are surprisingly agile beasts so they may just try to jump down eventually on their own. Also I'm wondering how big the herd was in the first place and where the rest of them are now
Old Nov 14th 2016, 7:59 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

The whole Marlborough region was on shut down yesterday. Endless aftershocks. Eerie silence.

Seeing as we had the day off, Mrs Catchafire then produced a list of jobs for me, groan.

Including hanging up pictures, which is a new entry into my top three "most ironic things I have ever done" list.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Reylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to all

Marlborough was indeed quiet and eerie yesterday. Lots of aftershocks but at least we managed some sleep last night - oh, except for the torrential rain - not what the poor people most affected by the earthquake really need right now.

Old Nov 14th 2016, 8:58 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Here is something about the cows Moneypenny20. Hopefully they will be rescued.

As far as I understand those that wish to leave Kaikoura township will be able to do so Wednesday morning on the navy ships. Devastating for this small township.

Tour companies appear to be seeing to their own tourists.

John Key has now said that Kaikoura is worse than he thought.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 9:37 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Bad long quake.

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Seeing as we had the day off, Mrs Catchafire then produced a list of jobs for me, groan.

Including hanging up pictures, which is a new entry into my top three "most ironic things I have ever done" list.
That's an amateur mistake, women have an extra sense for idle men that need nagging. Going to the pub or a friends house is your only escape.

Also use lots of gorilla glue when you put those pictures on the wall or you'll be forever adjusting them and hanging them back up after every little jolt.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 9:58 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

all roads no longer lead to Wellington.
SH1, SH2 and SH58 closed.

As for getting out by sea there in itself are problems, looks like it might not be possible because of the storms

Last edited by MrsFychan; Nov 14th 2016 at 10:26 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SSky
Poor cows, I watched that video last night.
Look at them all confused and just standing there, at least I hope someone drops a bit of food for them while they wait for rescue.
I wonder how high up they are on that little bit of earth, cows are surprisingly agile beasts so they may just try to jump down eventually on their own. Also I'm wondering how big the herd was in the first place and where the rest of them are now
Just on the news...the cows have been saved.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Temporary reprieve - long term prospects still have a hint of Golden Arches.
Still, nice to know they are safe for the moment.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 10:20 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Bad long quake.

It looks like buildings on Wellingtons waterfront (TSB Arena, BNZ Banks call center and Statistics New Zealand House) sustained considerable damage. My understanding is that was all reclaimed sea bed after the 1855 Wairarapa earthquake. The BNZ and Statistics NZ buildings are fairly new constructions, the former was also damaged in 2013.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 10:21 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic

Also use lots of gorilla glue when you put those pictures on the wall or you'll be forever adjusting them and hanging them back up after every little jolt.
I have attached brackets to them and screwed them into the joists. Nuclear bomb could go off under the house, but they aren't moving!
Old Nov 14th 2016, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

Cheerful British tourists evacuated from Kaikoura

Watch: Tourists evacuated from Kaikoura - National - NZ Herald Videos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.