Back a week now.

Old Jul 30th 2012, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Back a week now.

Hey Expats

I have been back in blighty a week now, been really great weather, seen mum a few times, got ourselves a great 4x4 which has only done 41,000 miles which we collect on Wednesday this week and as we are living with our daughter (she is sleeping on the sofa!) we managed to get ourselves a touring caravan which we get on Thursday and put it on a site nearby for us to live in temporarily while we get sorted with jobs and home but we still have a few loose ends to tie up in NZ so are waiting on that before we buy anywhere. Can't stop sleeping, I am always exhausted yet we have had a stop over of 1 week in US so not sure what that is all about! Could sleep at the drop of a hat. Wonder if it is to do with being out of the quake zone and not feeling stressed out by it all.

We had a brill flight from NZ to USA in business class, made me feel like Lady of the Manor with the lie flat beds although I didn't get much sleep I did have a lie down and tried to get some so can thoroughly recommend business class. Hated the flight from Phoenix to London in Premium Economy. I think Air New Zealand has the seats about right in that class! Service on BA was crap and so was the food. I got excited when we were flying over Anglesea in Wales as I knew I was in British air space! Saw all the Olympic Stadium areas from the air and Buck Palace and got a good shot of the winding Thames River lol!!!

Heathrow was manic, loads of people and as we landed in the new terminal 5 had to go on the shuttle to collect our bags and stuff. Hired a car at the airport and took a wrong turn and ended up going through the centre of Windsor to try and get on the M4 but it was such a lovely sunny day and everyone was out picnicking on the Thames and all the flag garlands were out that I had a huge great big grin on me face even though we were lost.

Arrived in Devon several hours later to a couple of excited grandsons and a very excited daughter! Since then, I have not had a day in, done something every day. Made my mums, day, week, year. Took her across Dartmoor yesterday and stopped for Sunday lunch in Bovey Tracey. Then across to Teignmouth and home the coast road. Stopped to get a Devon Cream Tea in Dawlish to take home.

Got sorted out with my old Alliance and Leicester Account and just waiting on our bank cards now from Santander. Having a couple weeks breather before we look for jobs but putting the feelers out already.

Bought a PAYG sim and a dongle to get internet while in the caravan.

All in all I don't think we have done bad in a week. The stop over in Phoenix was hot hot hot and we certainly brought the sun home with us.

Hope you are all keeping warm in NZ. I am going around with a smile on my dial and am in awe of the choices here, Had really forgotten how cheap we get stuff compared to NZ. Do you know how thick the Argos book is I have to do a wish list to get us started in the caravan but there seems to be way too much choice! Bedding, cutlery, crockery, gadgets etc.

My only negative at the moment is that I am being like the screaming woman from Catherine Tate when going down country lanes where there is only room for one car in a two way system. That is really freaking me out, no doubt I will get used to it. We had to back up yesterday on one such lane on the moors. I was sweating that the hire car would be damaged and we would lose our excess!
Old Jul 30th 2012, 8:44 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back a week now.

Fab update Shirl. So glad your return to the UK went ok. Good luck with your future plans. Although you seem to have loads sorted out already ! Living in a caravan in the west country in the summer. Who is going to be the first to call you a tourist or a holiday maker ?
Old Jul 30th 2012, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice

We've had some grim weather down in Devon too, so don't get expecting everyday to be glorious. ;o)

Why the move back from NZ to UK if it's ok to ask, you hinted at the quakes and stress of these.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

All sounds like good fun Shirl, glad you're back safe and sound. Onwards and upwards from here..
Old Jul 30th 2012, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

stephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by shirl
Hey Expats

My only negative at the moment is that I am being like the screaming woman from Catherine Tate when going down country lanes where there is only room for one car in a two way system. That is really freaking me out, no doubt I will get used to it. We had to back up yesterday on one such lane on the moors. I was sweating that the hire car would be damaged and we would lose our excess!
a return after 5 yrs, you'll be Grockles then my lovelies.
glad you've arrived safely

Last edited by stephen60; Jul 30th 2012 at 10:47 am. Reason: reduce text length
Old Jul 30th 2012, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stephen60
a return after 5 yrs, you'll be Grockles then my lovelies.
glad you've arrived safely
I'm a Devon maid born and bred mate, don't think I will ever be a grockle in my own place of birth lol.!
Old Jul 30th 2012, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snaps
We've had some grim weather down in Devon too, so don't get expecting everyday to be glorious. ;o)

Why the move back from NZ to UK if it's ok to ask, you hinted at the quakes and stress of these.
I don't for one minute expect it to be glorious every day, I was a very well seasoned caravanner before I left and will be again! Goodness we even went on Christmas rallies with the local clubs and camped in snow. Talk about being hard!!!! I am not wearing me rose tinted specs either! I am ready for what life throws at me, blimey after the quakes this is a doddle! The reason we left was we had 2 daughters in chch, one moved back here about 3 years ago and the other recently moved to Perth due to the quakes and so we decided to come home too. It has been a real roller coaster of emotions for me since I arrived in NZ with homesickness and stuff and then to really put the boot in the quakes arrived and just about finished me off! So glad to be back on stable ground. Time will tell whether we did the right thing but my heart feels like it is where it is meant to be and that is the most important thing in life for me. Home is where the heart is and it was not in NZ for me personally! Saying that I can understand that people do LOVE NZ and that is fine, I loved it too to begin with until the mind and emotions started played silly games! But that is OK. At least I gave it a try and would not have missed it for the world and at least I have something to talk about now with friends and family and future generations!
Old Jul 30th 2012, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice

Thanks for the openness of your reply, it sure helps in a number of ways.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Great update Shirl - glad to see you made it back to home soil safe and sound. Bet your mum is so pleased to see you!
Old Jul 30th 2012, 10:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for updating us Shirl. Sounds like you've got everything in order & you're enjoying being home. I love Devon & I'd love to live there. I have a very good friend living in Ivybridge.

I'm so jealous of you, I'm feeling the pull of home lately. Keep us informed of your progress & best of luck to you.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Thanks for updating us Shirl. Sounds like you've got everything in order & you're enjoying being home. I love Devon & I'd love to live there. I have a very good friend living in Ivybridge.

I'm so jealous of you, I'm feeling the pull of home lately. Keep us informed of your progress & best of luck to you.
Aww thanks, it is horrid when you feel those feelings isn't it especially when you long to be somewhere else. x
Old Jul 31st 2012, 7:08 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Arrived in Devon several hours later to a couple of excited grandsons and a very excited daughter! Since then, I have not had a day in, done something every day. Made my mums, day, week, year. Took her across Dartmoor yesterday and stopped for Sunday lunch in Bovey Tracey. Then across to Teignmouth and home the coast road. Stopped to get a Devon Cream Tea in Dawlish to take home.
Now that is just lovely to read I am so happy for you!

My only negative at the moment is that I am being like the screaming woman from Catherine Tate when going down country lanes where there is only room for one car in a two way system.
YES! I am bloody dreadful every time we go back- I'm already fretting about the Devon lanes in the ice and snow again this Xmas
Old Aug 1st 2012, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

ohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to all

Great update Shirl - you seem to have hit the ground running - I'm not surprised you need the sleep!

I like Windsor - I can think of worse places to get lost - I'd have been smiling too and I'm also very jealous that you're in the south-west. It's by far one of the most beautiful places in the country (to name but a few).

Cream teas and scones all round?