British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Back in the saddle (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/back-saddle-532416/)

Maz Apr 27th 2008 1:34 am

Back in the saddle

So yesterday I cashed in some eRewards for a 2-hour horse ride through the Ohariu Valley behind Johnsonville, a suburb of Wellington.

I'm extremely sore today... :blink: :lol: Hence the temporary "Walkin' like a cowboy" custom title. :rofl:

Anyway, I'm hooked once more! It had been 14 years since I last went riding, but I rode a ton when I was younger. There are certainly a ton of stables in the area. We saw a couple of other parties out trekking when we were out, too. Only got to a trot a few times, and didn't canter or gallop any :( but that's OK. There were four of us on the trek, plus two guides. One of the other riders (from Romania no less) was very experienced, and the other two were a father and daughter. The dad rode for the first time 10 years ago and hasn't ridden since. And it was his daughter's first time in the saddle. Not sure I would have chosen a 2-hour trek for that ;) and she did have some trouble when her pony started trotting and she got upset and cried as she couldn't stop him. :( But it all went well after that.

My pony was called Denver, but I called him Shopping Trolley after a bit as he always pulled to one side. :lol:

Anyway, this is where I went. Can't wait to ride again soon! :) :thumbsup:

cappuccino Apr 27th 2008 8:14 am

Re: Back in the saddle

Let me know when you plan to go again, that's something I would like to do too.

Maz Apr 27th 2008 9:08 am

Originally Posted by cappuccino (Post 6271021)
Let me know when you plan to go again, that's something I would like to do too.

Definitely! Let's sort something out. :)

Catkin09 Apr 27th 2008 9:39 pm

Hi Maz

Glad to hear you're walking better today :rofl:

My two boys have riding lessons at the Ohariu Valley Indoor Arena every week. They love it and are both doing well. The youngest refuses to canter though, the first time they tried it he screamed the place down, it was sooooo funny:rofl::wub:

I feel like giving it a go, but can't afford it at the moment, not with paying $110 a week for them, so leaves nothing for me:unsure:

Although having said that, if you're going to organise a girlies horsey day, I could be up for it.:thumbsup:

Cheers

Catkin

karonious Apr 27th 2008 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Catkin09 (Post 6274018)
if you're going to organise a girlies horsey day, I could be up for it.:thumbsup:

If it's not too expensive, the girl and I would be up for it too.
Having said that, we are probably riding sveral times this week, depending on the weather :cool:

dreamfish Apr 27th 2008 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by karonious (Post 6274097)
Having said that, we are probably riding sveral times this week, depending on the weather :cool:

have this image of 'City Slickers' and its making me chuckle

BEVS Apr 27th 2008 10:37 pm

Is it hard to learn to ride ? It's certainly far more affordable here than it was from my UK neck of the woods. Me and him have always fancied trying to see if it is something that would suit us. I went to watch a friends small daughter having a lesson last week & it all looking quite tempting.

The first ever horses that we got to know properly was last Winter when some friends were away for several weeks. Not sure they thought we were much cop , but we were certainly charmed by them.

SarahB Apr 28th 2008 9:12 am

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 6274315)
Is it hard to learn to ride ? It's certainly far more affordable here than it was from my UK neck of the woods. Me and him have always fancied trying to see if it is something that would suit us. I went to watch a friends small daughter having a lesson last week & it all looking quite tempting.

The first ever horses that we got to know properly was last Winter when some friends were away for several weeks. Not sure they thought we were much cop , but we were certainly charmed by them.

Some people find it easier to ride than others..... but theres always something to know or learn, its like a neverending learning curve.

I havnt ridden for ages now..... I'd like to but have DD with me most of the time. I will get back into it properly again as kiddies grow up and go off to kindy/school. :)

I'm glad you had a good time Maz... any photos? :D

Maz Apr 28th 2008 9:51 am

Hi Maz

Glad to hear you're walking better today :rofl:

Actually it was worse today! Sat at a desk for 7.5 hours. Yeeouch! ha ha ha

My two boys have riding lessons at the Ohariu Valley Indoor Arena every week. They love it and are both doing well. The youngest refuses to canter though, the first time they tried it he screamed the place down, it was sooooo funny:rofl::wub:

I feel like giving it a go, but can't afford it at the moment, not with paying $110 a week for them, so leaves nothing for me:unsure:

Although having said that, if you're going to organise a girlies horsey day, I could be up for it.:thumbsup:

Cheers

Catkin

Where do they go? Same place I went, or somewhere else?

Originally Posted by karonious (Post 6274097)

Hmmm... I might have to get a group together... *puts thinking cap on*

Originally Posted by dreamfish (Post 6274203)
have this image of 'City Slickers' and its making me chuckle

Oi! Heh... :p

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 6274315)

I don't know if it's like learning to drive a car or ride a bike - that it gets harder the older you get. Anyone have any idea?

Originally Posted by SarahB (Post 6275860)
Some people find it easier to ride than others..... but theres always something to know or learn, its like a neverending learning curve.

I havnt ridden for ages now..... I'd like to but have DD with me most of the time. I will get back into it properly again as kiddies grow up and go off to kindy/school. :)

I'm glad you had a good time Maz... any photos? :D

I think when I'd been in the saddle about an hour I realised I was really comfortable (so to speak ahem!) with riding again. I hope you get back riding again soon Sarah! I know you must miss it so much! I'm afraid there are no photos though. Oddly enough on the eRewards thing I got in the post, they encouraged bringing a camera, and I checked with karonious that this was a nutso idea, and she confirmed that it was indeed a nutso idea. I figure that one day I'll find the back road up to the valley and will drive around then walk somewhere with a nice picnic. :)

SarahB Apr 28th 2008 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 6276023)
I think when I'd been in the saddle about an hour I realised I was really comfortable (so to speak ahem!) with riding again. I hope you get back riding again soon Sarah! I know you must miss it so much! I'm afraid there are no photos though. Oddly enough on the eRewards thing I got in the post, they encouraged bringing a camera, and I checked with karonious that this was a nutso idea, and she confirmed that it was indeed a nutso idea. I figure that one day I'll find the back road up to the valley and will drive around then walk somewhere with a nice picnic. :)

Yes youre right I do miss ridng but my horse is OK, hes at a great yard where he lives out 24/7. The yard owner checks them for you everyday and hes fed hay at the moment too as the grass dried out. Hes only young still so hes OK being turned away. He doesnt seem to mind when I jump onto his back.... so I think he'll be OK when I bring him back into work again.

My little lady is 15 months old now but I'm not ready to let her go off on her own to childcare yet... I enjoy being with her so much.... and they grow up so quickly! :eek: I'm still hoping that she will like ponies as she gets older.:D

BEVS Apr 28th 2008 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 6276023)
I don't know if it's like learning to drive a car or ride a bike - that it gets harder the older you get.

:sneaky:

Maz Apr 28th 2008 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 6276465)
:sneaky:

I'm sorry Bevs, that wasn't a dig!!! :(