Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Back from our NZ holiday, with a DVT- bah!

Back from our NZ holiday, with a DVT- bah!

Old Apr 26th 2007, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Alifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really nice
Thumbs down Back from our NZ holiday, with a DVT- bah!

Got back to the UK last week after 3 weeks in Bay of Plenty area, (plus 6 days in LA and San Francisco on stopovers),and have just about got over the mountain of laundry created! Just wanted to put down a few of our experiences.
The flight to LA was ok, not much fun for a 6 & 2 yr old, but they were entertained by the in-flight kids programmes. Found the security staff in LAX downright rude, barking orders out to everyone- that's another story! Stayed in Anaheim to be close to the Disneypark- much the same as DisneyParis- was a little disappointed as the LA one was the original, but nevermind.
Finally got to NZ Met up with family who were putting us up for our stay in their caravan. Looking back, I'm supprised that I lasted the whole trip there as it was quite cold and damp. It saved us a few hundred dollars in accommodation and food, so shouldn't complain The first few days were taken up by some long walks along the beach at Bowentown, great views and weather. Next day I had some pain in the bottom of my rt calf, I'm a nurse so was wary but gave overnight to make sure it wasn't a muscular strain. Next day it was no better, so went down to the medical centre to see th GP, who turned out to be a Brit who had come out a few months ago. Anyway, to cut a long story a little shorter, blood tests and an ultrasound scan confirmed a DVT Couldn't believe my luck- I treat them all the time at work, then sod's law pick one up on the way to NZ! *Tip for you all if you are planning long haul flights(from someone who has learnt the hard way)- WEAR FLGHT STOCKINGS
As a result of the clot, I was pretty immobile for a few days, but now have some gorgeous tan knee length stockings that I was horrified to find out back home that I will have to wear for 2 YEARS!!!
I'm rambling now, so will try to be more concise. The scenery around the bay of plenty is wonderful- lush forests and deserted beaches. Will try to post some pics once I work out how to. The cost of fresh food is good- eating out is cheaper than we expected- sometimes a third of what we pay in uk. Driving is easy, you do have to be careful as pedestrians crossing at crossroads for young drivers turning without slowing down, or looking to see if the road is clear. Obviously not everyone is the same, just our experience. It is true about NZ being very laid back- it takes some getting used to. We (Brits) are so used to rushing around with our heads down in our own little worlds, being so wrapped up in our stressful lives- there seems none of that in NZ. People do a bit of work, do things as a family, and are happy on the whole.
I went to a few hospitals, as a patient, and looking around for work, and was generally impressed. Some hospitals were due for modernisation, but the infrastructure was sound, and it appeared that the nurses were happy. It did make be smile though, when I was lying on a trolley, waiting for my scan results in Hamilton Hospital, when in the middle of their Emergency Dept were bowls of food and water out for their cat! Healthcare by the way, was excellent, but maybe a little slow to come. Many thanks again Gillian for your help in showing me 'round. It was really nice to meet up again
On the touristy front, we loved Tauranga and Rotorua for different reasons. Tauranga, although growing rapidly, has quite a fresh, cosmopolitan feel to it. Rotarua, although a little wiffy, is spacious and friendly. Would be happy to settle in either places.
Our time out there went far too quickly- I suspect that most find that. Our conclusions have all been positive. We have questions that can only be answered by living out there- sounds like we have made our minds up to take the plunge! HTHSorry for the huge amount written!
Old Apr 26th 2007, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Leighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant future
Default Re: Back from our NZ holiday, with a DVT- bah!

Hi Alifox,
Great post! Thank you! Really informative. Hope that you DVT is no longer a problem to you. Am I right in thinking that not only the socks but also plenty of exercise is the answer to this?
Old Apr 26th 2007, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leighlou
Hi Alifox,
Great post! Thank you! Really informative. Hope that you DVT is no longer a problem to you. Am I right in thinking that not only the socks but also plenty of exercise is the answer to this?
Hi,
I went to Boots chemist for flight socks as your supposed to be measured for them. It can be equally as bad if they are the wrong size. There is a size guide on the back of the packet. Unfortunately my calfs were to small even for the small ones and so i had to take a chance. I relied on walking around as much as possible on the plane and doing ankle excersizes as often as possible. Hope this helps.
Carole
Old Apr 27th 2007, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you got home OK Ali. Was great to catch up with you again.
Have sent you an email from work.
Gill
Old Apr 27th 2007, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Alifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really nice

Originally Posted by Leighlou
Hi Alifox,
Yes, they do advise you to exercise your legs as much as possible on the flights. In my case we had turbulance for most of the way from LA to Aukland, so the seat- belt signs were on for pretty much the whole 12ish hours! I did the foot exercises regularly and took plenty of loo breaks, but was just unlucky I guess. I'm fine now- no pain, but will have to to Warfarin to dissolve the clot, for 6 months, and as I said in the post, to wear the stockings for about 2 years. I've a healthy dislike of them after only 4 weeks, but will have to just put up with them. Research is mixed as to the benefits of taking Aspirin before a flight.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

ezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Alifox
Yes, they do advise you to exercise your legs as much as possible on the flights. In my case we had turbulance for most of the way from LA to Aukland, so the seat- belt signs were on for pretty much the whole 12ish hours! I did the foot exercises regularly and took plenty of loo breaks, but was just unlucky I guess. I'm fine now- no pain, but will have to to Warfarin to dissolve the clot, for 6 months, and as I said in the post, to wear the stockings for about 2 years. I've a healthy dislike of them after only 4 weeks, but will have to just put up with them. Research is mixed as to the benefits of taking Aspirin before a flight.
Asprin, thats interesting Is it they havent proven to be beneficial or they could be dangerous?
Old Apr 27th 2007, 5:30 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alifox
Got back to the UK last week after 3 weeks in Bay of Plenty area, (plus 6 days in LA and San Francisco on stopovers),and have just about got over the mountain of laundry created! Just wanted to put down a few of our experiences.
The flight to LA was ok, not much fun for a 6 & 2 yr old, but they were entertained by the in-flight kids programmes. Found the security staff in LAX downright rude, barking orders out to everyone- that's another story! Stayed in Anaheim to be close to the Disneypark- much the same as DisneyParis- was a little disappointed as the LA one was the original, but nevermind.
Finally got to NZ Met up with family who were putting us up for our stay in their caravan. Looking back, I'm supprised that I lasted the whole trip there as it was quite cold and damp. It saved us a few hundred dollars in accommodation and food, so shouldn't complain The first few days were taken up by some long walks along the beach at Bowentown, great views and weather. Next day I had some pain in the bottom of my rt calf, I'm a nurse so was wary but gave overnight to make sure it wasn't a muscular strain. Next day it was no better, so went down to the medical centre to see th GP, who turned out to be a Brit who had come out a few months ago. Anyway, to cut a long story a little shorter, blood tests and an ultrasound scan confirmed a DVT Couldn't believe my luck- I treat them all the time at work, then sod's law pick one up on the way to NZ! *Tip for you all if you are planning long haul flights(from someone who has learnt the hard way)- WEAR FLGHT STOCKINGS
As a result of the clot, I was pretty immobile for a few days, but now have some gorgeous tan knee length stockings that I was horrified to find out back home that I will have to wear for 2 YEARS!!!
I'm rambling now, so will try to be more concise. The scenery around the bay of plenty is wonderful- lush forests and deserted beaches. Will try to post some pics once I work out how to. The cost of fresh food is good- eating out is cheaper than we expected- sometimes a third of what we pay in uk. Driving is easy, you do have to be careful as pedestrians crossing at crossroads for young drivers turning without slowing down, or looking to see if the road is clear. Obviously not everyone is the same, just our experience. It is true about NZ being very laid back- it takes some getting used to. We (Brits) are so used to rushing around with our heads down in our own little worlds, being so wrapped up in our stressful lives- there seems none of that in NZ. People do a bit of work, do things as a family, and are happy on the whole.
I went to a few hospitals, as a patient, and looking around for work, and was generally impressed. Some hospitals were due for modernisation, but the infrastructure was sound, and it appeared that the nurses were happy. It did make be smile though, when I was lying on a trolley, waiting for my scan results in Hamilton Hospital, when in the middle of their Emergency Dept were bowls of food and water out for their cat! Healthcare by the way, was excellent, but maybe a little slow to come. Many thanks again Gillian for your help in showing me 'round. It was really nice to meet up again
On the touristy front, we loved Tauranga and Rotorua for different reasons. Tauranga, although growing rapidly, has quite a fresh, cosmopolitan feel to it. Rotarua, although a little wiffy, is spacious and friendly. Would be happy to settle in either places.
Our time out there went far too quickly- I suspect that most find that. Our conclusions have all been positive. We have questions that can only be answered by living out there- sounds like we have made our minds up to take the plunge! HTHSorry for the huge amount written!
Awful about your DVT - sincerely hope that clears up good and well. You're very lucky not to have collapsed.

One thing - you mention eating out "sometimes" being a third of the price you would pay in the UK - is that not what should be expected of a country with a dollar about a third of a pound, wages about a third of the Uk (or less in a great many cases) etc.? Just be careful not to fall into the trap of thinking that is cheap - when you live in NZ and earn that dreaded dollar, that is exactly the same as eating out in the UK - and you said it was only "sometimes".
Old Apr 27th 2007, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all

What a shame about the DVT! Talk about taking the shine of your trip! :curse:

Did you visit any of the coastal towns such as Papamo, if yes, what did you think?