British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Back in NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/back-nz-771077/)

Angeshirl Sep 10th 2012 3:17 am

Back in NZ

Hi All,

Just came back from a holiday in Scotland with my Kiwi partner. Absolutely had a ball, so much so that it has messed with my psyche a little. I've always been soooo sure about staying here in NZ and have only ever gone home by myself. Having him with me made me question everything! I've since come back here and keep reading horrible things about NZ (selective reading , almost like self torture) and I need to stop!!!

Anyway, I digress I would love to meet more expats from Scotland/UK in general to lift my spirits, so if anyone knows of anything going or wants to meet for a drink or something please let me know!

Angela

julesnye Sep 11th 2012 2:11 am

Re: Back in NZ

Originally Posted by Angeshirl (Post 10272545)
Hi All,

Just came back from a holiday in Scotland with my Kiwi partner. Absolutely had a ball, so much so that it has messed with my psyche a little. I've always been soooo sure about staying here in NZ and have only ever gone home by myself. Having him with me made me question everything! I've since come back here and keep reading horrible things about NZ (selective reading , almost like self torture) and I need to stop!!!

Anyway, I digress I would love to meet more expats from Scotland/UK in general to lift my spirits, so if anyone knows of anything going or wants to meet for a drink or something please let me know!

Angela

Hi Angela,
You need to let everyone know where you are, so they can identify themselves.
Regards
Julian

Angeshirl Sep 11th 2012 2:26 am

Hmmm yes that would help!

I'm living in Auckland (west) but work in the city so I'm in there everyday :)

alanmacc Sep 11th 2012 3:13 am

Originally Posted by Angeshirl (Post 10274275)

well thats no bloody use in Auckland .... we are in sunny Christchurch and ex Scotland too

Angeshirl Sep 11th 2012 4:07 am

Originally Posted by alanmacc (Post 10274317)
well thats no bloody use in Auckland .... we are in sunny Christchurch and ex Scotland too

:( Lots of Scots in Chch!

julesnye Sep 11th 2012 4:33 am

Originally Posted by Angeshirl (Post 10274275)

Friday nights at Titirangi RSA has a lot of expats and every other friday is live open mike which can be pretty good.

Angeshirl Sep 11th 2012 5:04 am

Originally Posted by julesnye (Post 10274380)
Friday nights at Titirangi RSA has a lot of expats and every other friday is live open mike which can be pretty good.

Absolutely fantastic! I'm in :)

julesnye Sep 12th 2012 10:07 pm

I'll let you know after tonight if the open mic is on or not tomorrow night

Angeshirl Sep 14th 2012 2:04 am

Originally Posted by julesnye (Post 10277938)
I'll let you know after tonight if the open mic is on or not tomorrow night

Hi Hi,

Is the open mic on tonight by any chance?

If so will I have to pay membership fees tonight for me and my friend to come in?

Cheers!

Angela

julesnye Sep 18th 2012 4:04 am

Originally Posted by Angeshirl (Post 10280079)
Hi Hi,

Is the open mic on tonight by any chance?

If so will I have to pay membership fees tonight for me and my friend to come in?

Cheers!

Angela

Sorry Angeshirl, I wrote an update but it didnt get posted for some reason.
Yes, it was this Friday just gone but I didnt make due to being under the weather, hopefully next time.

here it is my update, sorry, under:------>

Re: Any Brits in West Auckland
I hope if you went, you enjoyed it although this time I heard wasn't as good as it has been as there was some chap who couldnt sing!!LOL
If you enjoy quizzes they have a quiz night normally on the last Tuesday of the month around 7pm. It's just for fun, so not like a pub quiz although some of the questions could be quite difficult.
:confused:

Angeshirl Sep 18th 2012 4:12 am

I did go thank you! It was really busy which I thought was fab, the staff are lovely there too!

Bit hard on my own but perhaps I'll meet up with others and start going more regularly!

Angela

love30stm Sep 18th 2012 4:14 am

Sounds like my ideah of hell, RSA, singing and quizzes!!

Am I the only one who likes to go out for a good meal, then maybe cocktails, piano bar, dress up and then hit some bars and maybe a boogie! And I'm 54 not 24 ;)

Anyway I thought Auckland would be more Interesting??

julesnye Sep 18th 2012 4:24 am

Originally Posted by love30stm (Post 10286271)

Am I the only one who likes to go out for a good meal, then maybe cocktails, piano bar, dress up and then hit some bars and maybe a boogie! And I'm 54 not 24 ;)

Each to their own I say;)

Angeshirl Sep 18th 2012 4:25 am

I was looking for something local, somewhere I could get a taxi to. However, I'm also hell bent on finding the cocktails and the piano bars.

Starting small...thinking big :)

Clappy Sep 18th 2012 7:06 am

West Auckland is a bit ... 'unusual'.

The sale of alcohol is controlled by licensing trusts http://www.thetrusts.co.nz. You can't buy beer or wine in the supermarkets in their area for example.

The trusts operate some bars, but these are few and far between so often the RSA is the only nearby option. I won't live out there for that reason.

It could be worse, until the early seventies the area was dry.