Back home

Old Sep 20th 2009, 9:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Back home

We returned to New Zealand last week after 4 weeks away in the UK (with stop-overs in Singapore on both legs) & it's so good to be back. I can say without a shadow of a doubt. New Zealand IS HOME!

When we came here (for the second time!) in Jan 2007, we promised our parents that we would return in 2009. We decided that we would have given NZ a 'good go' after 2 years & a trip back to Blighty would clarify whether we had made the right choice or not. TBH though, we have both felt very settled here for 2yrs now. But it's good to get it confirmed.

Within 48 hours of landing in Manchester, I was wanting to head back to NZ At that point another 3 weeks in the UK seemed like forever. It was not easy staying with my parents, they are lovely people but it just wasn't a holiday, not helped by Mum having some jobs she wanted me to do around the house!!! Luckily we had arranged to stay with a friend of mine for 5 days & we rapidly arranged a couple more stop-overs with other mates too. We did have a 4 night midweek break booked at Sherwood Forest Center Parcs with my parents. Thank goodness we booked that. Although we were in the same villa, it allowed us to have some freedom to do our own thing & be able to eat out alone.

It was lovely to see family & friends again, sadly we didn't get to see everyone I was hoping to. It was great to go clothes shopping & find clothes that I liked so easily. The shop assistants we met were very friendly & helpful for the most part & it was good to exchange some banter with them. Food shopping was overwhelming, there's just too much choice! I never thought I'd hear myself say that. On the way to friends in Staffs we stopped at a very large Tesco's in Stoke, it was chock full of people & rows & rows of ready meals & processed food - I couldn't wait to escape. Eating out was expensive & I dreaded getting the bill in restaurants. The service was generally poor as was the food, except at the two Indian's we went to

I guess what I have learned, is that I have changed & have moved on with my life, whereas some of my friends/family seem to be stuck doing the same old thing. Which is fine, if they are happy with that. I missed going out for walks. My parent's village has just had so much development that there are few places to have a pleasant walk now. When I was growing up there, there were lots of fields & meadows & the stream to walk by. Progress, I guess. On the positive side, the pavements seem tidier than they used to be before we left. Certainly less doggy doos!! We did notice that the grass verges we very long & that road signs on motorways etc. were obscured. I assume that's to do with cut-backs.

It was such a relief to get home (though I could've spent longer in Singapore!). NZ just feels brighter & the people seem happier. I'm thankful that we have been given the opportunity to live here, we are incredibly lucky. It's not perfect by any means & the UK isn't a bad place, it's just not for us anymore. The trip has cemented are plans to apply for citizenship next Jan.

I do have some feelings of guilt & sadness though, as we have no plans to return to the UK in the near future (ie. at least the next 5yrs). My Mum is not well enough to travel to NZ, so I don't know whether I will see her again. I would love to be able to afford to bring my parents out here (& back) by cruise liner but I can't.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back home

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
We returned to New Zealand last week after 4 weeks away in the UK (with stop-overs in Singapore on both legs) & it's so good to be back. I can say without a shadow of a doubt. New Zealand IS HOME!

When we came here (for the second time!) in Jan 2007, we promised our parents that we would return in 2009. We decided that we would have given NZ a 'good go' after 2 years & a trip back to Blighty would clarify whether we had made the right choice or not. TBH though, we have both felt very settled here for 2yrs now. But it's good to get it confirmed.

Within 48 hours of landing in Manchester, I was wanting to head back to NZ At that point another 3 weeks in the UK seemed like forever. It was not easy staying with my parents, they are lovely people but it just wasn't a holiday, not helped by Mum having some jobs she wanted me to do around the house!!! Luckily we had arranged to stay with a friend of mine for 5 days & we rapidly arranged a couple more stop-overs with other mates too. We did have a 4 night midweek break booked at Sherwood Forest Center Parcs with my parents. Thank goodness we booked that. Although we were in the same villa, it allowed us to have some freedom to do our own thing & be able to eat out alone.

It was lovely to see family & friends again, sadly we didn't get to see everyone I was hoping to. It was great to go clothes shopping & find clothes that I liked so easily. The shop assistants we met were very friendly & helpful for the most part & it was good to exchange some banter with them. Food shopping was overwhelming, there's just too much choice! I never thought I'd hear myself say that. On the way to friends in Staffs we stopped at a very large Tesco's in Stoke, it was chock full of people & rows & rows of ready meals & processed food - I couldn't wait to escape. Eating out was expensive & I dreaded getting the bill in restaurants. The service was generally poor as was the food, except at the two Indian's we went to

I guess what I have learned, is that I have changed & have moved on with my life, whereas some of my friends/family seem to be stuck doing the same old thing. Which is fine, if they are happy with that. I missed going out for walks. My parent's village has just had so much development that there are few places to have a pleasant walk now. When I was growing up there, there were lots of fields & meadows & the stream to walk by. Progress, I guess. On the positive side, the pavements seem tidier than they used to be before we left. Certainly less doggy doos!! We did notice that the grass verges we very long & that road signs on motorways etc. were obscured. I assume that's to do with cut-backs.

It was such a relief to get home (though I could've spent longer in Singapore!). NZ just feels brighter & the people seem happier. I'm thankful that we have been given the opportunity to live here, we are incredibly lucky. It's not perfect by any means & the UK isn't a bad place, it's just not for us anymore. The trip has cemented are plans to apply for citizenship next Jan.

I do have some feelings of guilt & sadness though, as we have no plans to return to the UK in the near future (ie. at least the next 5yrs). My Mum is not well enough to travel to NZ, so I don't know whether I will see her again. I would love to be able to afford to bring my parents out here (& back) by cruise liner but I can't.
I needed to read this post today, was thinking of a trip back home to see mum. Not been back since coming in 2006. I will have to go though as she is 91 soon and I will defo not see her again if I don't go soon. I didn't want to go when I was homesick in case I didn't want to come back but I think now I am in the right frame of mind to go back and see her and put things into perspective on why we made the move well into our 50's. Thanks for sharing that with us.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 10:43 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

....I'm thankful that we have been given the opportunity to live here, we are incredibly lucky. It's not perfect by any means & the UK isn't a bad place, it's just not for us anymore. ... [/COLOR][/COLOR]
a big "so say we all" to that......welcome back to our slice of paradise hun!
gonna do the same thing with the kids next winter, just waiting for the real airfares to appear.

This last weekend I did some things that I would never have been able to afford in the UK and got to spend some "man time" drinking "p!ss" with mates on their luxury boat, catching fish in the early hours, swilling down the decks, playing sport in a great setting and having a excellent time in a great part of the world and all in our back yard. Sweet.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

Cadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lardyl
a big "so say we all" to that......welcome back to our slice of paradise hun!
gonna do the same thing with the kids next winter, just waiting for the real airfares to appear.

This last weekend I did some things that I would never have been able to afford in the UK and got to spend some "man time" drinking "p!ss" with mates on their luxury boat, catching fish in the early hours, swilling down the decks, playing sport in a great setting and having a excellent time in a great part of the world and all in our back yard. Sweet.
Now I know you've gone completely native - only a true Kiwi would end their post with 'Sweet'
Old Sep 20th 2009, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

Cadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant future

Thanks for posting this, Vitalstatistix - good to know you feel like this (and hoping we will once NZ is our home). Makes that decision seem more right so cheers
Old Sep 20th 2009, 11:12 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cadibel
Now I know you've gone completely native - only a true Kiwi would end their post with 'Sweet'
or drink "p!ss".........or be fishing whilst all the other lads were on the rum........LOL

seriously, what you've just said will raise a few eyebrows around here

Lardy_L goes native......whatever next???
Old Sep 20th 2009, 11:14 pm
you dewty owld maan!

on second thoughts that would need to be "Sweet As" or even "Sweet As. Bro".....

so not truly native yet........
Old Sep 21st 2009, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

On Sunday i took the dogs on the beach, watched jet boats in the afternoon and went to a free classical concert with dame malvina majors at night

In the UK i would have just been in the pub for 4 hours after working another sat night shift

I have been here 3 weeks and i can tell u all I am home
Old Sep 21st 2009, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

on second thoughts that would need to be "Sweet As" or even "Sweet As. Bro".....

you beat me to it
Old Sep 21st 2009, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

I stand corrected
Old Sep 21st 2009, 7:20 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
you beat me to it
yeah and the terminologoy is not quite right for drinking as most of the guys were "skulling" it.........the p!ss that is.....

when they asked me if I was a good sculler/skuller I thought they meant I would have to row out to the boat.....LOL

almost replied saying "no, but I was a popular "cox" with the ladies"......

which in fact I *was* at one time........

I know what you're thinking Aunty......but, there's no need to come the "little man" thing as I am well over 6 feet, just can bend my knees up to the chin and we used to train in "the tub", with a little more room at the stern....LOL
Old Sep 21st 2009, 7:22 pm
you dewty owld maan!

I stand corrected
don't worry - we're all on the learning curve..
Old Sep 21st 2009, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold

don't worry - we're all on the learning curve..
I'm glad i read this post today. I felt the same as this when i had been there a couple of weeks. NZ was the first place ive been on holiday to and not wanted to come home. I sat on the plane crying cos it was time to leave.
See that's just not like me at all.
I was overwhelmed by the place.
I would like to think that we will have a similar experience as Vital and be able to come back here in a couple of years and consider NZ as 'home'.
I am so glad that things are working out for all you good people and i hope with all my heart that we will be happy to x
Old Sep 21st 2009, 8:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for all your comments guys Much appreciated or should I say, sweet as
Old Sep 21st 2009, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

I felt just the same when I returned to the UK reluctantly for 6 weeks after just over 2 years here. Kate myself and the kids kinda promised a return at this juncture. It was some fun but I missed my 'home'!!!!!! It was great to get back to Palmy and just compounded ALL the reasons as to why we all turned our lives upside down. NZ really works for us.

It ain't the perfect country as we all know..riddled with irksome/serious problems but the main thing we have and will have in bucket loads for the forseeable future is space and emptyness most places we go...except for the shops before anyone say anything..we love kiwi chow!!!!!

We also have a far more 'fun' life than we had in the UK. Waaaaaay more to do, more affordable and more money to spend each month than we had in the UK..

I guess we are lucky that nursing is one of the few professions that has parity of pay with that of the UK nursing wage structure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.