back to Europe

Old Nov 7th 2012, 8:01 am
Banned

mikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to all
Default back to Europe

Hi all, my wife and I just moved back to France after a very difficult and frustrating 6 years trying to make a life in New Zealand. Unfortunately we just found it too expensive for the amount of earnings we were making. House prices are through the roof and the crime rate is pretty terrible, ourelves being the victim of a house burglary and having 2 cars stolen.

We found it to be a very lonely place and found it very difficult to make any solid friendships apart from a few other expats. Kiwis are quite a tough nut to crack. Funny thing is the kiwis that I met while travelling were all really nice and cool but when you are living their there seems to be a feeling of suspicion from them. I think New Zealand just turned out to be too far away and we ended up feeling that we were really so far from everything.

I think I would suggest Australia if you want a more modern place to live with better weather and higher wages.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 8:41 am
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: back to Europe

Originally Posted by mikesurf
ourelves being the victim of a house burglary and having 2 cars stolen.

must have been hard for your elves....
Old Nov 7th 2012, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

*chortle*
Old Nov 7th 2012, 10:23 am
Banned

mikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to all

yes it was hard on our elves but I promised I would not make a hobbit of it...
Old Nov 7th 2012, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

I just laughed and snorted coffee out through my nose!!!

That sense of humour wasted in NZ was it?

Seriously though, can't say you didn't give it a good go - 6 years. Good on you for trying and for saying enough is enough when there was a decision to make.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 11:48 am
Banned

yes never mind life goes on, next adventure awaits.
Good luck to all yet to venture to the long white cloud
Old Nov 7th 2012, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

We will follow you soon. Back to Europe.... I can relate to the things you said, even to the elves. Haha, think of us when you are in lovely France sipping good inexpensive wine, living in decent housing, eating good fresh food and enjoying a lively social and cultural live.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Assanah
We will follow you soon. Back to Europe.... I can relate to the things you said, even to the elves. Haha, think of us when you are in lovely France sipping good inexpensive wine, living in decent housing, eating good fresh food and enjoying a lively social and cultural live.
Unbelievable.

WE GET THE POINT.

Relentless.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
Unbelievable.

WE GET THE POINT.

Relentless.
It has been said many times, my dear. There is an ignore button. Please use it so you won't need to read my post. Many thanks.

For good byes extra for you a special edition: I won't miss the uninspiring Auckland cultural and social live, I won't miss the weird working culture, I won't miss the shitty housing, I won't miss being isolated from the world (might regret this one later, who knows what will happen to the Euro and the Middle East), I won't miss the exorbitant prices, I won't miss the radiation sun, the constant rain, the driving, the extreme social problems, the high suicide rates, the inequality and the Kiwis that just give a f***...eeeerrr, are to relaxed to care. And yes, I am looking forward to Europe, to have more time off and not work so long hours, more focus on family and friends, to affordable housing and great cultural options, to more than beaches and fishing, to travel, to have long interesting discussions about everything and anything, better job opportunities and real city life.

Last edited by Assanah; Nov 7th 2012 at 6:37 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

I would rather tell someone they sound like a broken record rather than ignore them.

Treat people how you would like to be treated and all that

That, and sometimes you do come out with some nuggets of information, which I have taken on board and have put in to my plan. So I will take this opportunity to publicly thank you for that.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

kooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud of

Good luck Micksurf, I must admit there are times...

As a mater of interest where were you living at the time of the burglaries?
Old Nov 7th 2012, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Don't feed the troll!
Old Nov 7th 2012, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cappuccino
Don't feed the troll!
Is that for me?

If so, noted.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 2:43 am

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Assanah
For good byes extra for you a special edition: I won't miss the uninspiring Auckland cultural and social live, I won't miss the weird working culture, I won't miss the shitty housing, I won't miss being isolated from the world (might regret this one later, who knows what will happen to the Euro and the Middle East), I won't miss the exorbitant prices, I won't miss the radiation sun, the constant rain, the driving, the extreme social problems, the high suicide rates, the inequality and the Kiwis that just give a f***...eeeerrr, are to relaxed to care. And yes, I am looking forward to Europe, to have more time off and not work so long hours, more focus on family and friends, to affordable housing and great cultural options, to more than beaches and fishing, to travel, to have long interesting discussions about everything and anything, better job opportunities and real city life.
Oh well ... despite the supposed shitty housing, the extreme social problems, the radiation from the sun, the constant rain, the bad driving, the suicide rate, the inequality and kiwis not giving a f***, and everything else, the average person (at birth) living in NZ lives longer than the average person living in Germany. Could it be, perhaps, that it is not as bad as you are painting ... otherwise we'd be lucky to be hitting 50 before we carked it.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikesurf
too expensive for the amount of earnings we were making
I completely see why you've moved back, even after being here for over a year and half the price of stuff just shocks me. They seem to enjoy being ripped off cos if you ever mention how the rest of the world isn't paying these ridiculous prices you're branded a 'whinging pom'. there's a reason tens of thousands of Kiwi's head to Aussie for a better life. It's something I'd seriously consider when we've done 5 years here, I'll definetly have the opportunity as our company is expanding into Aus in a couple of years.

We're finding it tough to just keep our heads above water, it's probably the poorest I've ever been. No nights out, no shopping sprees, no trips anywhere, bargain basement food and we've just got the one car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.