British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Back Bacon (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/back-bacon-773019/)

scrubbedexpat094 Sep 28th 2012 5:57 am

Back Bacon

Just been to our local Pak 'n' Slave at Silverdale & I was jolly happy to find Back Bacon on sale :thumbsup:. I was so made up that I bought two packets. It's a Freedom Farms product & cost $8.99 for 250g. I have no idea if that is hugely expensive because I hardly ever buy bacon.

Anyway, I saw it, I wanted it & I bought it :p. I feel a proper cooked breakfast coming on :nod:

janiejones Sep 28th 2012 11:57 am

Re: Back Bacon

That's good to know. I've started doing Slimming World again, so I'm always on the lookout for the lower fat options. I tried middle, but it's not as good as back.

scrubbedexpat094 Sep 28th 2012 10:08 pm

Thought this might bring on another great sausage debate :sneaky:

But no-one has bitten:getcoat:

lisamct Sep 28th 2012 11:58 pm

Freedom Farm has been selling back bacon for a while, pretty sure I've been buying it since I came over as its the only kind of bacon I eat.
I do shop in Countdown though so maybe its just new to Pak 'n Save?

scrubbedexpat094 Sep 29th 2012 6:29 am

Originally Posted by lisamct (Post 10305156)
Freedom Farm has been selling back bacon for a while, pretty sure I've been buying it since I came over as its the only kind of bacon I eat.
I do shop in Countdown though so maybe its just new to Pak 'n Save?

I haven't looked for bacon for ages because I couldn't get back bacon. Looked at our Countdown today & they don't have it :thumbdown:

Justcol Sep 30th 2012 3:21 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 10305068)

Do you mean the sausages that explode and turn themselves inside out which ever way you try and cook them :sneaky:

Perry Groves Sep 30th 2012 4:55 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 10305068)

Bit of a hot dog of a subject that one?:D

Bo-Jangles Oct 1st 2012 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 10304057)
Anyway, I saw it, I wanted it & I bought it :p

Oooh fancy, I hope it was nice!

I have never seen it here either, so looked for it in P&S today and lo and behold there it was, hidden away on the top shelf. Had to laugh at the description on the packet 'Fancy English style'. :rofl:

Anyway I only looked for now and resisted temptation - I will save that for a treat, not sure what the usual price is but they had it on special at $9.99 for 250g which was a bit steep for me. At $40 per kilo it's more expensive than fillet steak. :blink:

scrubbedexpat094 Oct 1st 2012 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 10307968)

I have never seen it here either, so looked for it in P&S today and lo and behold there it was, hidden away on the top shelf. Had to laugh at the description on the packet 'Fancy English style'. :rofl:

Anyway I only looked for now and resisted temptation - I will save that for a treat, not sure what the usual price is but they had it on special at $9.99 for 250g which was a bit steep for me. At $40 per kilo it's more expensive than fillet steak. :blink:

It was bloody marvellous, sure mine was a dollar cheaper. Still bloomin' expensive though :thumbdown:. Must be being English & fancy that does it :rolleyes: I shall get some for the OH's Birthday in a few weeks time & then some for Christmas.

Who'd have thought that a bit of bacon would become a special treat. :huh:

phyns Oct 1st 2012 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 10307968)

Bloody hell. $40 per kilo. Almost fell of my chair.:huh: best I get a pig if I move home.

Caz8NZ Oct 1st 2012 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 10306449)
Do you mean the sausages that explode and turn themselves inside out which ever way you try and cook them :sneaky:

eh? how are you cooking your sausages? I don't tend to have an issue. try turning the heat down? ;)

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 10305438)
I haven't looked for bacon for ages because I couldn't get back bacon. Looked at our Countdown today & they don't have it :thumbdown:

another eh? really? I don't have an issue finding it. I have an issue with the price of it most of the time.........but its there in my countdown.

I agree re the bacon / luxury thing. sausage and bacon used to be go to ingredients for cheap yummy pasta dishes but not anymore!

scrubbedexpat094 Oct 2nd 2012 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ (Post 10308962)
another eh? really? I don't have an issue finding it. I have an issue with the price of it most of the time.........but its there in my countdown.

I agree re the bacon / luxury thing. sausage and bacon used to be go to ingredients for cheap yummy pasta dishes but not anymore!

Not in Pommyparaoa they don't. Mind you, anything I like to buy our local Countdown stops selling soon after. I'm starting to suspect a conspiracy. Not that I'm paranoid or anything :unsure:

Saw loads of it today in Farro's. On special offer at $9.99, down from the normal price of $12.99 :scaredhair:

Now that's really taking the p!$$.

Bo-Jangles Oct 2nd 2012 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ (Post 10308962)

I'll add another 'eh' to that - it;'s not an issue finding it if you know it's there somewhere. The Freedom Farms brand is a relative newcomer to the scene and probably like lots of things for peoples that have been here longer, we have stoped looking and settled upon an alternative compromise. I never would have dreamed to even look for back bacon had Vital not mentioned it. Its also likely that my nifty, thrifty shopping radar has an automatic app that filters out packets of bacon that cost that much. :lol:

Caz8NZ Oct 2nd 2012 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 10309362)
Not in Pommyparaoa they don't. Mind you, anything I like to buy our local Countdown stops selling soon after. I'm starting to suspect a conspiracy. Not that I'm paranoid or anything :unsure:

Saw loads of it today in Farro's. On special offer at $9.99, down from the normal price of $12.99 :scaredhair:

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 10309378)
I'll add another 'eh' to that - it;'s not an issue finding it if you know it's there somewhere. The Freedom Farms brand is a relative newcomer to the scene and probably like lots of things for peoples that have been here longer, we have stoped looking and settled upon an alternative compromise. I never would have dreamed to even look for back bacon had Vital not mentioned it. Its also likely that my nifty, thrifty shopping radar has an automatic app that filters out packets of bacon that cost that much. :lol:

fair enough! oh and actually now i come to think of it, there are plenty of regional variations in what they sell in countdown depending on the local population. E.g. Auckland Mt Eden - plenty of bacon and general other "normal" meat and poultry supplies. Popped into the Countdown on Massey Road (South Auckland) on my way home from work the other day to try and pick up something quick as I was going in to the post office and there was a lovely selection of pigs heads, trotters and chicken feet to choose from, but not much of the other stuff!

Bo-Jangles Oct 5th 2012 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 10309362)

$7.99 today in Pak N Save, thus three packs now in my fridge. ;)