Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Baby groups etc in Christchurch?

Baby groups etc in Christchurch?

Old Jan 8th 2014, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

Stevo83 is a jewel in the roughStevo83 is a jewel in the roughStevo83 is a jewel in the roughStevo83 is a jewel in the rough
Default Baby groups etc in Christchurch?

Hi all,

my wife and I are returning to Christchurch after a year back in the UK (we went back to have our son and for family support) and now that he is 9 months old we are heading back.

My wife will be full-time mum and she would be keen to join as many baby groups/buggy walks/etc as possible - can anyone recommend or know of any she can join?

Also, what are peoples thoughts on Waimari Beach to live? I'm a bit unsure due its proximity to Parklands etc

thanks!

Steve
Old Jan 8th 2014, 6:53 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Baby groups etc in Christchurch?

Waimairi Beach

You lucky person!!! If you can afford to live there, Northshore or Queens Park - can I borrow some money please at non loan shark rates

It's a cracking part of Christchurch. Some stunning houses, a fabulous golf course and close proximity to the beach and katipo spiders.

My wife is part of a group that occassionally gets together but not a lot. Most of them have gone back to work but they try to have a get together once a month. I'll forward you some of their contact details if you like. For regular things around Waimairi, i'm sure there's a plenty. I think there's a library in New Brighton that's not far, which has baby sing a longs Wednesday mornings.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

TheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Steve,

We arrived in ChCh on Monday!

We did a drive round loads of areas and Waimiri Beach was one. I think it is ok. The only thing I though was that it didnt really have anything nearby. Also, it was quite close to Brighton, which we really didn't like the look of!
Old Jan 12th 2014, 6:23 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Stevo!

I don't have any kids myself but I was just having a look through meetup.com for some things to occupy myself and came across the following for your wife:

http://www.meetup.com/The-Trailbabies/
http://www.meetup.com/Mums-and-Bumps-Christchurch/

I'm not sure if your wife and baby enjoy swimming but there is this (I hear some of my mummy friends singing its praises!):

http://www.ccc.govt.nz/cityleisure/r...aspx#jumplink5

Good luck with the move
Old Jan 12th 2014, 8:25 am
Just Joined

Stevo83 is a jewel in the roughStevo83 is a jewel in the roughStevo83 is a jewel in the roughStevo83 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Pom_CHch, that's great help, we'll both enjoy the 'Trailbabies' group and the swimming sounds great for them too!
Old Jan 12th 2014, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

Another source of support & information for parents of babies & pre-school children is Plunket. Plunket nurses are pretty much the same as UK Health Visitors, & see children for routine health & developmental checks. Plunket also run baby & toddler groups, music groups, coffee mornings etc. I don't know exactly what services are available in Christchurch, but it's a national organisation & they will have local activities in the area for sure. The Plunket nurse in that area will also know of other mums & babies activities locally. Probably worth googling Plunket Christchurch for more info.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 9:04 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Also , perhaps go to the local Toy Library.
They should also know of lively active groups