British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   B & I Lions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/b-i-lions-897312/)

Woodlea May 28th 2017 10:14 pm

B & I Lions

Not sure if there is another thread anywhere about the up-and-coming tour, if so my apologies. I'm really excited about it and so looking forward to all the matches. I predict a very one-sided tour with the ABs winning all tests by an increasing margin. I'm even predicting my beloved Crusaders to give them a good going over in 2 weeks time! I also expect the other Super Rugby sides to do similar :)

Kotare May 29th 2017 12:29 am

Re: B & I Lions

I would be surprised if it is the walkover you predict. NZ teams will struggle a bit in the forwards I reckon and have kiwi teams forgotten how to win tight matches? As long as the ABs and the Hurricanes win :-)

bearskin May 31st 2017 7:46 am

I'll be heading down the pub for a couple of games and I'd like to make it into one of the fanzones too - was excellent back in 2005.

I got tickets for one of the tests for a fellow BE member so he'll be happy at the match I expect.

andrewwales May 31st 2017 8:34 am

he will be very happy, bearskin your a star

Snap Shot May 31st 2017 12:30 pm

Wedding bells for you in June Andrew ?

andrewwales May 31st 2017 4:15 pm

yes wedding a week Saturday then travel to nz on 20th june cant wait especially when my tickets arrive from Bearskin.....top bloke who sorted me out from over there

Kotare Jun 7th 2017 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Woodlea (Post 12261990)
Not sure if there is another thread anywhere about the up-and-coming tour, if so my apologies. I'm really excited about it and so looking forward to all the matches. I predict a very one-sided tour with the ABs winning all tests by an increasing margin. I'm even predicting my beloved Crusaders to give them a good going over in 2 weeks time! I also expect the other Super Rugby sides to do similar :)

Good call :-)

Tom H Jun 10th 2017 11:04 am

Well played British and Irish lions tonight. A thoroughly deserved victory, which could have been a lot more had they been a bit more clinical in the final 22.

George Kruis, best player on the pitch.

No complaints on the defeat. We could have played all night and not score any further points. Best side won....

Woodlea Jun 10th 2017 7:53 pm

Rubbish, they only kicked penalties gifted to them by the bizarre ref. Crusaders were poor in not adapting to the poor reffing, but how can you win the scrum and lose 3 points? Why on earth do we put up with second class Northern Hemisphere referees down here?

bearskin Jun 11th 2017 2:30 am

Originally Posted by Woodlea (Post 12270157)
Rubbish, they only kicked penalties gifted to them by the bizarre ref. Crusaders were poor in not adapting to the poor reffing, but how can you win the scrum and lose 3 points? Why on earth do we put up with second class Northern Hemisphere referees down here?

Mwhahahahaha. That's priceless. What a gallant loser.

desmondo84 Jun 11th 2017 2:39 am

I thought the ref was pretty poor. Scrums are hard to call so perhaps the ref saw something close up but it looked as though the crusaders had the nudge on for most of the game. French referees generally kill games and this was no exception - no flow to the game. Bring Nigel Owens over. In saying that, the Lions defended very well and the crusaders had no plan B to deal with the rush defense. I think the Crusaders will be kicking themselves a little as they should have pushed the Lions a bit harder. Great result for the series as it means the Lions are now being taken seriously.

Tom H Jun 11th 2017 2:52 am

Oh the ref definitely went to the Steve Walsh school of refereeing but he was bad for all sides throughout the night.
I don't think he's read a book on scrums, couldn't understand the offside rule, failed to spot a blatant penalty goal from Farrell and countless times he missed the Crusaders putting hands on the ball in the ruck.

But it wasn't his fault that the usual successful back row couldnt string a pass or two together without dropping. It wasn't the refs fault that our line out play was dreadful and it wasn't the refs fault that we allowed Murray to dictate the game.

We were poor on the night and deserved the loss. First time we haven't scored a try since 2015 and the first time a try hasn't been scored in a match in NZ since 2013

LoCarb Jun 11th 2017 5:05 am

One word....boring :(

desmondo84 Jun 11th 2017 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Tom H (Post 12270268)
Oh the ref definitely went to the Steve Walsh school of refereeing but he was bad for all sides throughout the night.
I don't think he's read a book on scrums, couldn't understand the offside rule, failed to spot a blatant penalty goal from Farrell and countless times he missed the Crusaders putting hands on the ball in the ruck.

But it wasn't his fault that the usual successful back row couldnt string a pass or two together without dropping. It wasn't the refs fault that our line out play was dreadful and it wasn't the refs fault that we allowed Murray to dictate the game.

We were poor on the night and deserved the loss. First time we haven't scored a try since 2015 and the first time a try hasn't been scored in a match in NZ since 2013

since 2013? You mean in crusaders matches or in NZ in general?

Tom H Jun 11th 2017 7:13 am

Originally Posted by desmondo84 (Post 12270326)
since 2013? You mean in crusaders matches or in NZ in general?

NZ in general I believe. I'm sure I heard someone mention that the match was the first time in 4 years that a professional rugby game in New Zealand has not contained a try at all.

It wouldn't surprise me, given the standard of play here