Avian Influenza

Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Avian Influenza

Guidance please from those of you in the know.

Having arrived in NZ there is quite a bit of chat about the likelihood of bird flu hitting NZ and advice on what to do - stocking up on essential food / medicines, purchasing face masks, staying in etc etc.

Is this news we should be taking seriously - how good are NZ papers / news shows at reporting reality or is this all scaremongering???????

Your views / thoughts appreciated as always.

oh and as a quick update - now in chch, holiday home lovely if a little chilly!!!!!!!!!! - oh for central heating / double glazing, nobody told us chch was so windy.
People lovely so far - very helpful (even when they find out we're staying )
setting up stuff like bank account, nz sim card, internet access (albeit dial up) all dead easy
had to try out the medical services for youngest (15mths) - very good - easily accessible, very helpful, quick attention, best for patient approach rather than doing it by the system, good links between different services - GP / out of hours / pharmacy etc etc.

so far so good. (still to do the hard bits - job hunting / house hunting / child care) export gold keeping us going.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:17 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Avian Influenza

Looks like you may have to fend for yourself:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectid=10349987

G
Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:25 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joshlin

Having arrived in NZ there is quite a bit of chat about the likelihood of bird flu hitting NZ and advice on what to do - stocking up on essential food / medicines, purchasing face masks, staying in etc etc.

Is this news we should be taking seriously - how good are NZ papers / news shows at reporting reality or is this all scaremongering???????

Your views / thoughts appreciated as always.

oh and as a quick update - now in chch, holiday home lovely if a little chilly!!!!!!!!!! - oh for central heating / double glazing, nobody told us chch was so windy.
People lovely so far - very helpful (even when they find out we're staying )
setting up stuff like bank account, nz sim card, internet access (albeit dial up) all dead easy
had to try out the medical services for youngest (15mths) - very good - easily accessible, very helpful, quick attention, best for patient approach rather than doing it by the system, good links between different services - GP / out of hours / pharmacy etc etc.

so far so good. (still to do the hard bits - job hunting / house hunting / child care) export gold keeping us going.
I don't know but I suppose it can't harm to get a box of stuff put away for just in case.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:44 am
Naked and lightly greased

Dappadee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Joshlin

Your views / thoughts appreciated as always. *snip*
I wouldn't go crazy about it if I were you. As usual the media are cherry picking facts and sensationalising things to scare poor old gullible Joe public. Here are a couple of quick facts for you that might make you happier. In order to cause a pandemic in humans the virus has to evolve and make the following changes:

1. It has to learn how to spread by aerosol droplets (through sneezing etc) rather than excreta.
2. It must be able to transmit itself from human to human without losing its virulence.

That is a lot of evolution and these sorts of things don’t really happen over night. It may happen soon, but more likely it will happen long after we are all dead from other more probable causes which we didn’t see coming because we were too busy reading the papers and sealing ourselves in giant plastic balls.

Last edited by Dappadee; Oct 13th 2005 at 10:05 am.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:53 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dappadee
I wouldn't go crazy about it if I were you. As usual the media are cherry picking facts and sensationalising things to scare poor old gullible Joe public. Here are a couple of quick facts for you that might make you happier. In order to cause a pandemic in humans the virus has to evolve and make the following changes:

1. It must have to learn how to be spread by aerosol droplets (through sneezing etc) rather than excreta.
2. It must be able to transmit itself from human to human without losing its virulence.

That is a lot of evolution and these sorts of things don’t really happen over night. It may happen soon, but more likely it will happen long after we are all dead from other more probable causes which we didn’t see coming because we were too busy reading the papers and sealing ourselves in giant plastic balls.
The folk in the know said it wouldn't be as virulent if it found a way to transmit from human to human anyways didn't they. It would just be more like normal flue .. which is bad enough cos it floored me a few years ago for two weeks. Totally wiped out I was.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Grayling
Looks like you may have to fend for yourself:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectid=10349987

G
Virus experts say the world is overdue for a pandemic of a new strain of influenza. It could arise from the current H5N1 bird flu that has led to the deaths of millions of birds in Asia.
The above quote is a perfect example of the current climate of scare mongering. If the virus manages to evolve sufficiently we may have a global pandemic. Then they add the bit about it killing millions of birds in Asia. Great, so it is really contagious...in birds. Scientific reporting at it’s best.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by sky
The folk in the know said it wouldn't be as virulent if it found a way to transmit from human to human anyways didn't they. It would just be more like normal flue .. which is bad enough cos it floored me a few years ago for two weeks. Totally wiped out I was.
Indeed. The media don't tell you all the facts just the bits that make good headlines.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 12:46 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Indeed. The media don't tell you all the facts just the bits that make good headlines.
That is simply not true!! what about

"WORLD WAR 2 BOMBER FOUND ON THE MOON"

Old Oct 13th 2005, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
That is simply not true!! what about

"WORLD WAR 2 BOMBER FOUND ON THE MOON"

I don't think the Sunday Sport counts as 'the media'.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 7:20 pm
sky
Banned

Old Oct 13th 2005, 8:01 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Fellow Reader?
Old Oct 14th 2005, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
Fellow Reader?
I don't really read it, I just look at the pictures......while it is on the shelf.....in a shop.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 11:44 am
Nice Tats

I don't really read it, I just look at the pictures......while it is on the shelf.....in a shop.
Makes your neck ache dont it? top shelves that is