Reload this Page >

Availability of work in Wellington

Availability of work in Wellington

Old Jan 14th 2014, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

NZ.info_14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Availability of work in Wellington

Hello

I've been reading this forum alot and picked up alot of great information.

I'm hoping you may be able to help with my query....It is a dilemma indeed.

I have a WHV which has only 4 months left on it (I can still work in NZ from February-May). This is the last WHV that I will be able to get.

(Unfortunately work in the UK meant I couldn't go to NZ for the whole year)

Is it worth me giving up my job to come out to NZ....
(I would be giving up my current job but my company have said they will find me something similar if I want to come back, so I'm not losing a job as such...although I don't know where I will be put... Also we have redeployment coming up so there is the possibility that I will not stay in the same job anyway....)

I was in NZ 10 years ago did loads of travelling, picked up office work in Wellington no problem and had a great time. (always thought about going back to Wellington to live on a longer term basis....loved it)

For those of you in Wellington... Is there loads of temp work around at the moment - I'm really looking at office support/admin. Public sector if possible. Also with this type of work do you think there is any possibility that I would get a job offer to stay longer. Alot of people seem to have stories that they went on WHV visas but stayed....Unfortunately I don't have a profession that would get me a visa as a skilled migrant etc.

It's always been an ambition to come back to Welly, but if there is not much possibility of work (and to only stay for a maximum of 4 months if I don't find a more permanent position)... to give up my current job doesn't seem the right thing to do.

I'm also really coming to work rather than "travelling" (I did all my travelling when I was there before..) so do only have 4 months unless I'm offered something...

I'd appreciate any thoughts/help/advice particular from people in Welly! (especially on the jobs situation....)

What would you do....?

Thanks!

NZ fan