Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is Australia tempting you?

Is Australia tempting you?

Old Jul 11th 2008, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

janeypie is a jewel in the roughjaneypie is a jewel in the roughjaneypie is a jewel in the roughjaneypie is a jewel in the roughjaneypie is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Is Australia tempting you?

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
I've never been tempted, partly I suppose because I was brought up in UK and NZ and have enough problems deciding what nationality I ought to be without adding a third country. I think the biggest turn-off for me would be the climate; I like the fact that in Auckland it is very rarely too hot or too cold to do what you want to do. I cannot see the attraction of a climate where the only comfortable place to be for several months of the year is in an air-conditioned box of some sort (this is also why I would rule out Canada except perhaps for the Vancouver area). I also like the fact that in NZ you can swim in the sea, camp in the bush or walk through a forest in the sure knowledge that there is no wildlife that will hurt you - I know the dangerous beasts in Aus are not nearly as common as most fear, but the underlying nervousness would always be there for me.
Finally - and this is a horrible stereotype - I find the Australians a little brash and overbearing and I'm not sure I would want to live surrounded by them.

totally, totally agree
Old Jul 11th 2008, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Strange then that the number of Australians leaving for NZ is not greater?

Buzzy
I don't think it is strange at all. No one suggested as you imply that just as those is a small country move to a neighbouring big one should equally apply to those in big countries moving to small countries in the same proportion. I wonder that you have so much time on your hands.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 10:36 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

I find this argument to be just the same as when all the Irish were moving to England. I did it myself - and it wasn't any better - just different. There's an article in Metro this week about moving to Oz - it's called The Great Aussie Con, why you're better off in Auckland. I haven't read it yet but I will. According to other articles I've read, Australians seem to be just as peed off with the new Government over there as we are with Helen. And for the same reasons, high price of petrol, food and rising interest rates. I've seen someone talk about earning AU$150,000 over there - well anyone would have a great life on that sort of money but if you're on an average salary with a mortgage you're going to have the same problems anyway.

I really don't know why people make such a big deal of Kiwis moving over - in this day and age what young person wants to spend all of their lives living in the one place? The fact that they only go as far as Australia tells me that they're not intending it to be for ever. Whether it turns out that way or not is of course another story. OH's nephew is over there at the moment - he's 21 and is building houses for mine workers out in the wop wops north of Perth. He ended up in hospital the first week he was there because of the heat but has now got more used to it. They don't drink because they get too dehydrated so they go to Perth for a weekend once a month. It's never been a permanent thing for him - it's all about saving money. It's not much of a life though
Old Jul 12th 2008, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
I find the Australians a little brash and overbearing and I'm not sure I would want to live surrounded by them.
I find them down to earth and funny, saying that I'm brash and overbearing so I fit in well
Old Jul 12th 2008, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Been here 8 weeks and enjoying it so far, miss my old job and the people there, but met some lovely people at work so far, some ozzies, some brits, but dont find the locals brash or overbearing

Life here so far is good, early days yet but so far so good in Perth, although finding it a bit cold at times at the moment (who told me it is always warm in Perth, they lied to me, but I do get the impression I am so going to die in the summer)
And this is about the 2nd time in 8 weeks I have been able to get into BE
Old Jul 12th 2008, 2:17 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kwprwn
Been here 8 weeks and enjoying it so far, miss my old job and the people there, but met some lovely people at work so far, some ozzies, some brits, but dont find the locals brash or overbearing

Life here so far is good, early days yet but so far so good in Perth, although finding it a bit cold at times at the moment (who told me it is always warm in Perth, they lied to me, but I do get the impression I am so going to die in the summer)
And this is about the 2nd time in 8 weeks I have been able to get into BE
good to hear from you Dawn.
We're really busy here too - work is going too well - already been asked to bring another person over from the UK, I'm working almost as hard as in UK and far harder than I was working for my former employer in Newmarket.
All the best to you and Owen.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 8:58 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

It will be interesting to see how many Kiwis come home and how many Aussies will move across the ditch, if the predicted climate changes happen in Oz.

If the geeks are right then, Oz will be a scorching dustbowl within 30 years, that will not be fit for man nor beast to survive in, so I for one think I'll give a miss thanks ( for now)
Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:09 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
It will be interesting to see how many Kiwis come home and how many Aussies will move across the ditch, if the predicted climate changes happen in Oz.

If the geeks are right then, Oz will be a scorching dustbowl within 30 years, that will not be fit for man nor beast to survive in, so I for one think I'll give a miss thanks ( for now)
Agreed.

But then if I could financially live in Blenheim like you do, I might well live in NZ. It's the fact that my work (and indeed most peoples) relies on needing a decent sized city within commuting distance, and living in an Australian city is considerably more attractive than living in Auckland.

Buzzy
Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:13 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

It has and maybe will, but for now its NZ, if we get to do the things we came to do and build in the countryside or on our won piece of land then i will battle the down turn in the economy to be here in NZ.

What does concern me at the moment( but hey shit happens) is the state of the economy, its taking abashing at mo, fuel, food etc all up, house prices going down, business closing up, this is going to be a tough year in NZ, but not one that will make us jump the ditch.

I have mmmnd & rrrd about oZ wifes rellies are in Adelaide, but they even complain about the heat, cant sit outside some days, do we realy want that ??

Going back to Uk for Christmas to see folks after being here over 3 years, so will know what we want to do after the trip.??
Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

No.

Thought I would keep it short & to the point.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:04 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed.

But then if I could financially live in Blenheim like you do, I might well live in NZ. It's the fact that my work (and indeed most peoples) relies on needing a decent sized city within commuting distance, and living in an Australian city is considerably more attractive than living in Auckland.

Buzzy
Buzzy

We live in Blenheim because that is where my husband's job dictates we live and believe me when I say with 3 children and one wage, I budget every day of the week
Old Jul 13th 2008, 10:02 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Buzzy

We live in Blenheim because that is where my husband's job dictates we live and believe me when I say with 3 children and one wage, I budget every day of the week
One of the reasons we choose not to live in NZ. Here in Melbourne we can live very comfortably on one salary, without constantly worrying about budgeting. No way we could do that in NZ.

Buzzy
Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

One of the reasons we choose not to live in NZ. Here in Melbourne we can live very comfortably on one salary, without constantly worrying about budgeting. No way we could do that in NZ.

Buzzy
^^^^^ same for us, + we can now afford private schooling for the kids and other luxuries we could have never drempt about in NZ.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
^^^^^ same for us, + we can now afford private schooling for the kids and other luxuries we could have never drempt about in NZ.
Its horses for courses..we live on one wage here..a nurses wage. We are way, way better off here in NZ than we were in the UK on two wages.

Some people struggle here in NZ just like some do in Oz, it where you feel happier in the end. We are very content in NZ..you guys in Oz..which is nice!!!
Old Jul 14th 2008, 5:23 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

no!

But I am very happy that we have lovely friends who live in Melbourne and we can visit them much more easily now and vice versa. The only place in OZ I have been to is Melbourne and I thought it was absolutely lovely. But in summer it would be far too hot for me! this is a me sweating smilie!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.