Australia to NZ

Old Jan 27th 2008, 1:09 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold
Default Australia to NZ

There seem to be a lot of threads about people who have first moved to NZ and then moved on to Australia. Has anyone done the opposite; moved first to Oz and then on to NZ?

When I read many of the comparison threads, that go on about how backward NZ is and how much easier life is in Oz, it just doesn't match my experience.

So has anyone done Oz then NZ and if so why?
Old Jan 27th 2008, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

elaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Australia to NZ

Hi there
We're thinking of doing just that - moving from Oz to NZ. Reasons are many and varied. We've just been to the South Island and liked what we saw there - hoping to move later this year.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 2:56 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Australia to NZ

Originally Posted by elaine42
Hi there
We're thinking of doing just that - moving from Oz to NZ. Reasons are many and varied. We've just been to the South Island and liked what we saw there - hoping to move later this year.
Can you share your reasons? Or send me a PM if you'd rather not on the open forum?
Old Jan 27th 2008, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

elaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really nice

I've sent you a PM
Old Jan 27th 2008, 7:11 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
There seem to be a lot of threads about people who have first moved to NZ and then moved on to Australia. Has anyone done the opposite; moved first to Oz and then on to NZ?

When I read many of the comparison threads, that go on about how backward NZ is and how much easier life is in Oz, it just doesn't match my experience.

So has anyone done Oz then NZ and if so why?
We've known a few families that have done the NZ to Oz move and although they look fondly upon their time in NZ they will not move back as they get lured down the satans path of more cash, bigger homes (even if they are in the middle of the dessert in a fly infested sandpit). I think there are many that get used to the higher standard of living in Oz even if the "quality" (depending on how you view quality) is not as high.

On the other hand we've got a few ozzie friends who have moved to Auckland and are able to enjoy a million dollar property with views of the sea, close to the city, pool, etc etc .... they would never be able to afford a similar style of life in (for instance) 20 mins of Sydney CBD.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:29 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I do wonder sometimes if it's just all about the money. That seems to be the biggest complaint - people end up skint in NZ. No one seems to consider the other factors - the space, the scenerey, the outdoor activities etc.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:47 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Hello I've not posted on here for a very long time. Got meself a life ha ha.

No seriously, we lived in Oz for 4 yrs, moved to NZ and have been here just over 3 years. For me, I like it but it never got under my hubbys' skin and he had some terrible work experiences here and he has worked all over the world in IT and managed several projects. Now he works in Oz and we're fed up with seeing each other so little so it's a move back to where the work is. It is not money for us as we will have a much, much bigger mortgage over there to get what we want (semi rural) and money here was ok for us - not spectacular but okay. Moving to new countries batters your bank balance if not much else anyway.

Plus side to NZ is the people are still very open in general and they are welcoming and friendly. I thought it was my imagination at first and thought they were all on prozac. The people have been absolutely wonderful here. i cannot fault them. Their generosity knows no bounds and they'd give you the shirt off of their backs.

Money does not go as far here but we have managed to get a nice little place in the country but it's still out of reach of most peoples' pockets.

The people can seema bit 'mend and make do' but it becomes endearing in the end. As a person who recycles like mad and doens't need the latest this and the latest that I still can't work out why this annoyed me so much! Bit close to home I guess.

We dont' actually like the oz suburbs (or any suburbs) so for us NZ has the edge on living a more peaceful life and the way the townships are dotted about here is more like the UK and the landscape is far more gentle and scenic than Oz whaich is dramatic, hard and can seem like a moonscape!

I do think at the moment people are thinking Oz is better but if you like NZ it's better for you here. I still love Oz but it's far better here for any pets as there are no paralysis ticks, snakes or other creepys.

They are weird drivers here. I won't miss the left turn rule!

As for my work, I fell on my feet here, I work in a lovely environment and only hope i can get it when I go back to the big smoke that is Oz.

I know others who have made th ejump and woudl not go back to Oz. Mostly they are animal orientated people though.

Mumomonty.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:16 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Lovely to hear from you Mumu.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mumomonty
................................. For me, I like it but it never got under my hubbys' skin and he had some terrible work experiences here and he has worked all over the world in IT and managed several projects.................
Quite a few people have commented on bad work experiences here, particularly with bosses.

I've no idea what the problem is because as you say, Kiwis are welcoming and friendly?
What needs to change to make the work environment comparable to other countries?

I know from listening to various economists comment on the NZ economy, that the low productivity in NZ is partly because employers would rather have a low wage workforce than invest in modern equipment.

Perhaps workers are too subservient to their managers.
Do unions need to flex their muscles........dunno

Kip
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:32 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Lovely to hear from you Mumu.
ditto
Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:03 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

I do wonder sometimes if it's just all about the money. That seems to be the biggest complaint - people end up skint in NZ. No one seems to consider the other factors - the space, the scenerey, the outdoor activities etc.
The other factors are here in Oz too and many of them are better. It's not about the money you know. Our quality of life is much improved here and we've found all the things we were looking for in NZ.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:08 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

Originally Posted by Nerine
Our quality of life is much improved here and we've found all the things we were looking for in NZ.
In what ways? Can you explain a bit more please?
Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by Kippers
Quite a few people have commented on bad work experiences here, particularly with bosses.

I've no idea what the problem is because as you say, Kiwis are welcoming and friendly?
What needs to change to make the work environment comparable to other countries?
All managers should be sent to work in Britain or America for at least a year as part of their training. At the moment in NZ there is the Way the Rest of the World Does it v. The Kiwi Way.

I know from listening to various economists comment on the NZ economy, that the low productivity in NZ is partly because employers would rather have a low wage workforce than invest in modern equipment.
No they just want a low wage workforce, haggling down to the lowest price for anything is ingrained.

Perhaps workers are too subservient to their managers.
Do unions need to flex their muscles........dunno
What are unions?
Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

backdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nice

Try and get ahold of an article from either Thurs/Fri in the NZ Herald. It was all about people moving from OZ to NZ.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:41 am

In what ways? Can you explain a bit more please?
For us the money didn't come into it. In Oz there is a higher standard of education for our kids, private education is subsidised here so we can afford to send them to a good school, which was an absolute priority for us after what they encountered in NZ.

We have a much more out-doorsey lifestyle - with beaches, mountains, and rainforests to choose from. The weather is a lot more agreeable during the day and the warm evenings enables us to do more after dark than we used to- sitting out, swimming, etc. The climate means that we can do this all year round, so if it rains for a few weeks during the summer that doesn't mean the whole year is ruined.

My husband is back to doing the standard of work he used to do in the UK, he's actually had to "unlearn" the Kiwi way of doing things and get back to Westernised working patterns and standards. He also doesn't have to sit in a traffic jam for a min of 2.5 hours every day, instead he chooses to travel to work by train using a ticket which he buys through his employer at a discounted rate, before tax is deducted.

It's so easy to get around the GC - good public transport if we want to use it and plenty of fast, well laid out dual carriageways that makes travelling around very quick and easy, dare I say it - a pleasure!

The houses are better here - much more good quality housing stock to choose from, prices are certainly comparable to Auckland but not so much of the overpriced, damp, wooden variety or the 'plaster' houses. The lovely rental we have now would've been impossible to find in North Shore.

There are a whole load of other things too. These are just a few that spring to mind straight off.

Last edited by Nerine; Jan 28th 2008 at 10:43 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.