Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

"Australia and New Zealand" uttered in the same breath misleads the World

"Australia and New Zealand" uttered in the same breath misleads the World

Old Jul 11th 2012, 8:09 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: "Australia and New Zealand" uttered in the same breath misleads the World

no comeback from the geek i see???
Old Jul 11th 2012, 8:44 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Australia and New Zealand" uttered in the same breath misleads the World

Originally Posted by msi geek
NZ job expos are regularly held in UK - why Not in Australia? (aussies would not even need a visa).
Good question, also Australian expos are regularly held in New Zealand with people queuing out the doors. Even the NZ armed forces are being tempted away by $250,000 cash bonuses and fast tracked citizenship.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/employment...ectid=10812382

Yet I didn't hear of any recruitment fairs for the Christchurch rebuild being held in Australia - which would seem like a logical pool from which to draw the resource. Aussies would probably even do it on a FIFO basis (they're sorta used to that here)
Old Jul 11th 2012, 6:24 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

They're not getting cash that as a bonus. it's referring to the costs to relocate and savings made in training fresh recruits as opposed to experienced troops.
The citizenship and increased wages are the incentive.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 10:03 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
They're not getting cash that as a bonus. it's referring to the costs to relocate and savings made in training fresh recruits as opposed to experienced troops.
The citizenship and increased wages are the incentive.
Was the Herald completely wrong then? From that article:

"Kiwi soldiers are being head-hunted to join the Australian Army with $250,000 cash bonuses.

The hired guns are getting the lucrative sign-on fee, as well as fast-tracked citizenship, in a bid to boost Australia's military ranks.
"

There was separate mention of relocation costs to the military....

TBH though, you could probably temp a lot of people from any point A to almost any point B with that amount of incentive.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi

"Kiwi soldiers are being head-hunted to join the Australian Army with $250,000 cash bonuses.

The hired guns are getting the lucrative sign-on fee, as well as fast-tracked citizenship, in a bid to boost Australia's military ranks.
"

TBH though, you could probably temp a lot of people from any point A to almost any point B with that amount of incentive.
And for as long as I can remember Aus have held seminars in NZ scouting for nurses.

Last edited by Bellasmum; Jul 12th 2012 at 12:42 am.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 1:01 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

"

What incentives are being offered to attract people into Christchurch? I don't know of any, other than some esoteric aspirational talk around 'lifestyle'.

Perhaps that is why there are no NZ recruitment fairs in Australia?

Just a thought.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
What incentives are being offered to attract people into Christchurch? I don't know of any, other than some esoteric aspirational talk around 'lifestyle'.

Perhaps that is why there are no NZ recruitment fairs in Australia?
Trouble is there's still not a great deal of work there for them and seemingly not much need for overseas labour anyway. I hear lots that have came, saw and went elsewhere.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 9:13 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Was the Herald completely wrong then?
....It's in the paper, so it must be true....
I had a cursery look at the criteria on the Australian Army website.
In order to serve in the Aussie forces, you need to be an Australian citizen. All applicants must first retire from their home service BEFORE applying. Applicants who are successful will be assisted with their citizrenship application.
They are only after certain positions and roles. Even the infantry are to have special forces experience.
This means applicants who are declined for either citizenship or their desired position in the forces will be unemployed as well as skint, but at least they won't be a burden on the Aussie welfare state.
I'll be talking to a kiwi squaddie mate this weekend, so will ask what she knows. Answers, however, are on a need to know basis, and you don't.

Not an ex Daily Mail reader by any chance?

Last edited by hazeandsteve; Jul 12th 2012 at 11:09 am. Reason: Expansion.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 12:20 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
....It's in the paper, so it must be true....
I had a cursery look at the criteria on the Australian Army website.
In order to serve in the Aussie forces, you need to be an Australian citizen. All applicants must first retire from their home service BEFORE applying. Applicants who are successful will be assisted with their citizrenship application.
They are only after certain positions and roles. Even the infantry are to have special forces experience.
This means applicants who are declined for either citizenship or their desired position in the forces will be unemployed as well as skint, but at least they won't be a burden on the Aussie welfare state.
I'll be talking to a kiwi squaddie mate this weekend, so will ask what she knows. Answers, however, are on a need to know basis, and you don't.

Not an ex Daily Mail reader by any chance?
It's on a Govt website so must be true? ;-0

I'd expect only Kiwi military who show interest and meet criteria would be given further details, thats kind of true in many job opportunities in many fields...

No idea what paper she used to read, perhaps you should ask her....

Last edited by simonsi; Jul 12th 2012 at 12:48 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

msi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nice

Originally Posted by love30stm
no comeback from the geek i see???
A thread loses its intended purpose when off-topic replies are posted.

Why did NZ increase the time period for migrants to acquire citizenship from 3 to 5 years?

Almost all new kiwi citizens take the next flight to Australia immediately after the citizenship ceremony and 3 years was proving inadequate to frustate them with the Kiwi Miserliness.

My Australian Boss remarked when I asked him why he cannot select a few decent resources from his own backyard (Oz) and send them to NZ

" Aussies show no interest in NZ - hence the next best option is these poms "

The per capita income of UK is a mere 6% more than NZ - Australia is way ahead ranking amongst top 5 countries for decent salaries.

I used to mention in my CV regarding my past experience of helping organisations achieve a cmm level 5 rating - many kiwis do not know about cmm - such a village is uttered in the same breath as Australia

When will we hear such phrases?

Fiji and NZ, Tonga and NZ, Samoa and NZ, ...
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 11:00 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Good grief said Charlie Brown.

I don't know. You tell us.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 11:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msi geek

I used to mention in my CV regarding my past experience of helping organisations achieve a cmm level 5 rating - many kiwis do not know about cmm - such a village is uttered in the same breath as Australia
Well I'm shocked, what a village NZ must be, I mean every Resume in Australia talks about cmm ratings, and they are discussed at length over family dinners................
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 11:25 am

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

You might also find that the cost of living in Australia is amongst the 5 worst in the world as well. The cost of a house overlooking the sea in Tauranga (or Auckland for that matter) should also not be uttered in the same breath as the cost of the same house overlooking the sea in Sydney
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 11:53 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I know Polly .

Just must take the bone out of Mr BEVS nose and stop with the cave painting.

Next thing you know there be machines with magic in them.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 1:24 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I know Polly .

Just must take the bone out of Mr BEVS nose and stop with the cave painting.

Next thing you know there be machines with magic in them.
Yeah in Australia now we can get the internet thingie all day and all night without having to light fires and chant mystical words first. Tis putting us witches out of business

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.