Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Australia costs..... can it really be that good?

Australia costs..... can it really be that good?

Old Nov 21st 2010, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold
Default Australia costs..... can it really be that good?

I really like NZ in so many ways but due to some work opportunities that have come up in Australia we're actively looking at a move to Melbourne or Sydney.

We're fairly well off in NZ, wage wise but will earn more in Aus and we've been looking at costs for many things and to date virtually everything bar rent for a house seems cheaper, can this be?

Food, cars, petrol, power, wine, public transport etc etc even when converted to NZD are cheaper and when we consider we'll be earning more in actual numbers of AUD that we earn in NZD its not hard to see why so many people are moving there. Food shopping is a real eye opener with most everyday items being 10-20% cheaper (in NZ$) in Woolworths Aus compared to NZ.

Yes NZ is a smaller market etc etc but hell fire when you start looking at things, it feels more and more like we're being seriously ripped off in NZ. Take a look a dairy products and its ridiculous considering we produce so much that milk in Aus is 30% cheaper than here!!!

So, are we missing something, are there a range of expenses that are more than NZ we're not appreciating .....?

Last edited by teambwr47; Nov 21st 2010 at 8:33 am.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 7:38 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia costs..... can it really be that good?

ITs called about millions more population than us !!!! MOre competition.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by teambwr47
Take a look a dairy products and its ridiculous considering we produce so much that milk in Aus is 30% cheaper than here!!!
Because Fonterra have a stranglehold on the dairy market and charge international prices to domestic customers. Protectionism in the extreme. I try to buy anything but Fonterra dairy products but it is hard....

There are plenty of Oz vs NZ threads on here which should help. I personally would never move to Australia (money is not everything) and prefer it here but plenty of others have/would.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 8:33 pm
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

I try to avoid Fonterra too but more due to their moving to China to try and get around humane and human working conditions...

You will get paid more in Australia and the cost of living is less. I did not appreciate this until moving to NZ. I am now applying for jobs back in Oz - I like NZ, I like the weather, I like the loads of great stuff there is to do (ski, sea, travel about), but it's pointless living somewhere for the travel/adventure opportunities when you can't afford to do any of them.

I now know why all the Kiwi friends I've made over the years shared a common trait of thriftiness, and why so many have moved to Australia! There are many positives for living here, and many negatives for living in Oz (heat and bugs to begin...not looking forward to either of them at all!) but at this particular point in my career/life it is not the best place for me.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

The simple answer is YES, OZ really is that much better than here.
Everything in NZ worth having goes to export and the kiwis get the shite thats left.
why can you buy better quality nz lamb in the uk for less than you can get a scrag end here ?
why do asda and tesco sell nz wine thats had to be shipped half way round the world
incuring all sorts of costs on the way for less than i can buy it here, less than 20 minutes from the vineyard.
why are the chinese allowed to take all the wood they need at a fixed price and the kiwis
now have to sit and watch as the lack of timber for the home market forces the cost up
meaning ALL new homes will cost more due to the rise costs.
EVERYTHING here is overpriced and comtrolled by monopolys.
strangely though many kiwis dont know any better and think having the rug pulled from
under them and being charged extra for the crap thats left over is a good think as it brings in the money
and puts little old new zealand on the world map.
What they dont realise is that the rest of the world are pissing themselves at the low costs kiwis are
prepared to sell the shirts off their own backs for
Old Nov 21st 2010, 11:50 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by colandros
The simple answer is YES, OZ really is that much better than here.
Everything in NZ worth having goes to export and the kiwis get the shite thats left.
why can you buy better quality nz lamb in the uk for less than you can get a scrag end here ?
why do asda and tesco sell nz wine thats had to be shipped half way round the world
incuring all sorts of costs on the way for less than i can buy it here, less than 20 minutes from the vineyard.
why are the chinese allowed to take all the wood they need at a fixed price and the kiwis
now have to sit and watch as the lack of timber for the home market forces the cost up
meaning ALL new homes will cost more due to the rise costs.
EVERYTHING here is overpriced and comtrolled by monopolys.
strangely though many kiwis dont know any better and think having the rug pulled from
under them and being charged extra for the crap thats left over is a good think as it brings in the money
and puts little old new zealand on the world map.
What they dont realise is that the rest of the world are pissing themselves at the low costs kiwis are
prepared to sell the shirts off their own backs for
Everything you have said can also be applied to Aus.
We're all in the same boat mate.
If it makes you feel better,I paid $11.00 for a paint roller the other day and a Kiwi told me he has them sent over from NZ for 3 bucks.
Stock up!!!
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 2:06 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

My NZ in-laws are consistently "gobsmacked" to use their own words, about the lower cost of living when they visit us in Melbourne.

Having lived in NZ and Oz, we find the lifestyle in Oz much better too as many aspects of lifestyle have to be paid for somehow!

BB
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukecadet
Everything you have said can also be applied to Aus.
We're all in the same boat mate.
If it makes you feel better,I paid $11.00 for a paint roller the other day and a Kiwi told me he has them sent over from NZ for 3 bucks
Yeah BUT, to be fair there are paint rollers and there are paint rollers. You can indeed get the whole kit: roller, tray and a sleeve for $10 if you don't mind patchy paint with tramlines and bits of fluff all over or you can pay $15 or $16 for a half decent sleeve alone.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

Cheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really nice

I actually work for Fonterra and I can't believe the guff on this post about them. They ain't perfect but which big corporate is? And going to Oz isn't an escape from them - Fonterra are big there too!
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 8:45 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Yeah BUT, to be fair there are paint rollers and there are paint rollers. You can indeed get the whole kit: roller, tray and a sleeve for $10 if you don't mind patchy paint with tramlines and bits of fluff all over or you can pay $15 or $16 for a half decent sleeve alone.
was talking pro/trade
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukecadet
I paid $11.00 for a paint roller the other day and a Kiwi told me he has them sent over from NZ for 3 bucks.
Stock up!!!
Thats my point exactly you can bet they'll ship overseas for 3 bucks each
but they'll cost more than the equivelent of $11 (aus) over here in nz.
A cheap roller will set you bak 10 bucks here so pro sandard will be MUCH more.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Cheesehead
I actually work for Fonterra and I can't believe the guff on this post about them. They ain't perfect but which big corporate is? And going to Oz isn't an escape from them - Fonterra are big there too!
but it might be an escape frm the endless shitty news stories that surounds everything they do.
The chairman cant take a dump without it making the news down here.
I'm sick of listening to articles about what the fonterra payout is going to be
and then listening to endless idiot farmers whinging about it.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 12:06 pm
Banned

robbyarg is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're ALREADY in NZ, then maybe you can consider a better job in NZ. Improve the qualification or take some positive steps that increase your value. Australia will be a bit tough for jobs, esp in Melbourne. However, it's not impossible. Should you have improved the qualification (if that's what's lacking), Australia should be fine.

If I were settled in NZ, I would look to move to Australia in the long run only because I have family there and I like it better than NZ. No other reason I would move.

Originally Posted by teambwr47
I really like NZ in so many ways but due to some work opportunities that have come up in Australia we're actively looking at a move to Melbourne or Sydney.

We're fairly well off in NZ, wage wise but will earn more in Aus and we've been looking at costs for many things and to date virtually everything bar rent for a house seems cheaper, can this be?

Food, cars, petrol, power, wine, public transport etc etc even when converted to NZD are cheaper and when we consider we'll be earning more in actual numbers of AUD that we earn in NZD its not hard to see why so many people are moving there. Food shopping is a real eye opener with most everyday items being 10-20% cheaper (in NZ$) in Woolworths Aus compared to NZ.

Yes NZ is a smaller market etc etc but hell fire when you start looking at things, it feels more and more like we're being seriously ripped off in NZ. Take a look a dairy products and its ridiculous considering we produce so much that milk in Aus is 30% cheaper than here!!!

So, are we missing something, are there a range of expenses that are more than NZ we're not appreciating .....?
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

We just had a short break in Sydney the food and clothes where considerably cheaper

the beer in the city was more expensive tho, dunno about the burbs

Neil
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 7:16 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Australia costs..... can it really be that good?

Originally Posted by robbyarg
Australia will be a bit tough for jobs, esp in Melbourne.
You don't know that. You're in the UK with no visa for Australia so of course finding a job in Melbourne will be tough for you.

Melbourne would be, along with Sydney, the easiest place to find work in Australia or New Zealand simply because of it's size.

BB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.