Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Australia costs..... can it really be that good?

Australia costs..... can it really be that good?

Old Nov 22nd 2010, 8:15 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australia costs..... can it really be that good?

Originally Posted by colandros
Thats my point exactly you can bet they'll ship overseas for 3 bucks each
but they'll cost more than the equivelent of $11 (aus) over here in nz.
A cheap roller will set you bak 10 bucks here so pro sandard will be MUCH more.
No no no!!!I'm sorry I mentioned the bloody roller now
Right... one more time.I was in the paint shop purchasing a good quality roller for $11.00 in Melbourne and he said to me that he buy's the same roller in NZ for $3.00 .He gets his brother to send them over to Melbourne
The roller costs you in NZ 3 bucks and me 11 here in Melly.

Now if your saying they can cost $10+ we're back in the same boat once again.
I don't no what to do now.He says 3 for a good one,you say 10 for a cheap one,I paid 11.F##k it I'm going to get a spray gun.

Thinking about it maybe he was just a whinger on a wind up as he moaning about the price of the rest of the stuff in there as well.

Before anyone posts a well intentioned reply about where to get cheap paint products in Melbourne don't bother as I have all the brushes and rollers I need for now thanks.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 8:22 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Australia costs..... can it really be that good?

Originally Posted by ukecadet
Before anyone posts a well intentioned reply about where to get cheap paint products in Melbourne don't bother as I have all the brushes and rollers I need for now thanks.

BB
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 8:28 pm
Banned

robbyarg is an unknown quantity at this point

No that's a fact from my experiences. I already have a VISA for Australia for upto 3 years. I can come and go anytime. I have been to Australia so many times. I know about life there, have ALL my family there except myself. Why do you say I don't know anything about Aus. It's just any other country, nowhere the same standards as Europe. However, it's still a good cosmopolitan place. Sydney is a better bet for a job than Melbourne. I've known people who didn't get anything concrete for 5-10 years in Melbourne. Those who struggled in Melbourne for 2 years and bought a house in sydney in 6 months after moving and getting a good job there.

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
You don't know that. You're in the UK with no visa for Australia so of course finding a job in Melbourne will be tough for you.

Melbourne would be, along with Sydney, the easiest place to find work in Australia or New Zealand simply because of it's size.

BB
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 11:28 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Based on affordability alone I'd say Melbourne in preference to Sydney.

I love Sydney was a place to visit but my impression is that it would be expensive for us to live there, but then we're a family needing lots of room - a single person flatting would probably find it a lot easier.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 11:50 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Australia costs..... can it really be that good?

Originally Posted by robbyarg
No that's a fact from my experiences. I already have a VISA for Australia for upto 3 years. I can come and go anytime. I have been to Australia so many times. I know about life there, have ALL my family there except myself. Why do you say I don't know anything about Aus.
You yourself said you were looking for a job in Australia for migration purposes in this post - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...36&postcount=1 therefore I can only conclude you don't have a visa for Australia.

BB
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 12:01 am
Banned

robbyarg is an unknown quantity at this point

There is more than one type of visa. Not all visas are work related. And who cares what you think. I certainly don't.

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
You yourself said you were looking for a job in Australia for migration purposes in this post - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...36&postcount=1 therefore I can only conclude you don't have a visa for Australia.

BB
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Cheesehead
I actually work for Fonterra and I can't believe the guff on this post about them. They ain't perfect but which big corporate is? And going to Oz isn't an escape from them - Fonterra are big there too!
Can you therefore refute exactly what the guff is in that case for those of us that are so seemingly ignorant?
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 4:05 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by robbyarg
If you're ALREADY in NZ, then maybe you can consider a better job in NZ. Improve the qualification or take some positive steps that increase your value. Australia will be a bit tough for jobs, esp in Melbourne. However, it's not impossible. Should you have improved the qualification (if that's what's lacking), Australia should be fine.
Err, thats not the issue for us...the roles we have here are both senior, my wifes very much so but there are jobs that exist in OZ that never will here, particularly in her field.

She has been approached for a very big job in OZ, we just want to know where our monetary level will sit when comparing NZ with OZ.

At the moment it seems we'll be much better off in OZ.......

We did a $500 shop at our local Woolworths (Lower Hutt, Wellington) on Sunday and bought a wide range of stuff for the week.

Last night we logged on to Woolworths in OZ for comparison against the receipt we had from NZ.

In every singe case we compared, the price in OZ was cheaper and in most cases 10% cheaper after we'd converted the AU$ price to NZ$.

When we consider that we'll actually be earning more actual AU$ that NZ$ it makes the costs in OZ even better.

There is no doubt food shopping (at woolworths) is most certainly cheaper in Australia.

Last edited by teambwr47; Nov 23rd 2010 at 5:32 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 6:15 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

But wait there's more - in Australia the internet prices are generally higher than the supermarket's checkout price, so store prices are even lower than you think
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 6:58 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teambwr47
Err, thats not the issue for us...the roles we have here are both senior, my wifes very much so but there are jobs that exist in OZ that never will here, particularly in her field.

She has been approached for a very big job in OZ, we just want to know where our monetary level will sit when comparing NZ with OZ.

At the moment it seems we'll be much better off in OZ.......

We did a $500 shop at our local Woolworths (Lower Hutt, Wellington) on Sunday and bought a wide range of stuff for the week.

Last night we logged on to Woolworths in OZ for comparison against the receipt we had from NZ.

In every singe case we compared, the price in OZ was cheaper and in most cases 10% cheaper after we'd converted the AU$ price to NZ$.

When we consider that we'll actually be earning more actual AU$ that NZ$ it makes the costs in OZ even better.

There is no doubt food shopping (at woolworths) is most certainly cheaper in Australia.

Sounds to me like the most sensible thing would be to give it a go. As a kiwi I can go to either, but I choose AKL for personal reasons. If I was wanting to be better off financially and progress my career I would probably head for OZ. Looks like life is handing you a great opportunity.