Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is Australia better than New Zealand.

Is Australia better than New Zealand.

Old Jan 3rd 2005, 8:39 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold
Default Is Australia better than New Zealand.

Has any one lived in Australia and New zealand, and if so which one in you opinion is better. Things like salary and cost of living etc. Im in NZ at the moment and its not as cheap as you think. I hear that wages in Oz are 30% higher than NZ. Any comments would be great, ta. Still waiting for the great summer weather, it ain't here yet.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 8:45 pm
wombat42

Default Re: Is Australia better than New Zealand.

Originally Posted by Lenmil
Has any one lived in Australia and New zealand, and if so which one in you opinion is better. Things like salary and cost of living etc. Im in NZ at the moment and its not as cheap as you think. I hear that wages in Oz are 30% higher than NZ. Any comments would be great, ta. Still waiting for the great summer weather, it ain't here yet.
Australia is a far better place, much larger stronger economy with lower unemployment and more career opportunities, much nicer climate, better beaches, more things to do places to go. People vote with their feet, Large number of New Zealanders immigrate to OZ each year ( THe largest immigrant group) while very few Australians immigrate to New Zealand.

Old Jan 3rd 2005, 8:47 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Compared to NZ, Australia has:

- a much larger economy
- higher standard of living
- better weather
- more Olympic medals

If you are planning on leaving NZ note that:

- if you have permanent residence (PR) in NZ it gives you no benefits in Australia
- if you have NZ PR it's best to secure your status in NZ with an indefinite returning resident visa or (better still) NZ citizenship before you leave.

Jeremy
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Larger economy, yes
Stronger economy, yes
Lower unemployment.........hmmmmmm.........NZ is at 3.8% Aus ??
Much nicer climate, yes, but some complain too hot and humid
Better beaches..........hmmmmmm...........more coastline so probably yes
Large numbers of New Zealanders immigrate to Oz each year, true, but how many of them are real NZ and not immigrants whom have got their NZ citizenship?
Few Australians immigrate to New Zealand, true but the number is increasing on a year-by-year basis.

To each it's own is what I say.

I've never lived in Oz but I have visited as a holiday maker on several occasions, I like what I see and the Australians are almost as friendly as the Kiwis, they certainly drive their cars better than the average Kiwi!

But for me............I like NZ.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 9:00 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JAJ
Compared to NZ, Australia has:

- a much larger economy
- higher standard of living
- better weather
- more Olympic medals

If you are planning on leaving NZ note that:

- if you have permanent residence (PR) in NZ it gives you no benefits in Australia
- if you have NZ PR it's best to secure your status in NZ with an indefinite returning resident visa or (better still) NZ citizenship before you leave.

Jeremy
I only have a 3 year work permit for NZ so i would have to jump through the hoops again i guess if we wanted to move to Oz. Thing is there is no part time work here to be had. So it means only one of us can work and with the cost of living going up its becomming a struggle to say the least. Also we have not sold our house back in the UK. So our funds are dropping like a stone. Funny thing is all i have heard from Kiwi's in the last 10 months is how its much better in Oz. So many leave to go there and the UK its amazing. We sometimes think we should have tried Oz. Its great for kids here but what happens when they grow up. Thanks for the replies.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 9:09 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I only have a 3 year work permit for NZ so i would have to jump through the hoops again i guess if we wanted to move to Oz.
So the question is - do you qualify for Australia? No point in planning to go somewhere if the door is closed.

One other thing you need to be aware of if you do have a choice between NZ and Australia is that NZ is pushing up the residence requirement for citizenship from early 2005. You'll likely need to wait 5 years from PR to get a blue passport in NZ, in Australia it's only 2 years (again, from getting PR). Unless Australia also decides to do the same thing in the next couple of years.

Jeremy
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute

True about citizenship………….although legislation has not yet been passed……….apparently Parliament ran out of time to endorse the proposals but when Parliament reconvenes in February the legislation will be applied at that time.

I thankyou.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 9:29 pm

(quote)
I like what I see and the Australians are almost as friendly as the Kiwis, they certainly drive their cars better than the average Kiwi!

Interesting about the car driving skills. Kiwi's do seem to drive their cars in a dangerous manner. Too many times have we been nearly hit or seen them. Any one been driving on a mountain track to have a big 4X4 scream towards you on a blind bend to be followed by another towing a boat. One mistake and your off down the side of the mountain. Been a few crashes this way and unfortunately deaths too. I cannot understand why they drive this way but they do. Ah well that's life here i guess.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 10:38 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it is.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 10:55 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

(quote)
I like what I see and the Australians are almost as friendly as the Kiwis, they certainly drive their cars better than the average Kiwi!

Interesting about the car driving skills. Kiwi's do seem to drive their cars in a dangerous manner. Too many times have we been nearly hit or seen them. Any one been driving on a mountain track to have a big 4X4 scream towards you on a blind bend to be followed by another towing a boat. One mistake and your off down the side of the mountain. Been a few crashes this way and unfortunately deaths too. I cannot understand why they drive this way but they do. Ah well that's life here i guess.
Must be bad if they are worse than here.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 12:50 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Still waiting for the great summer weather, it ain't here yet.
Sounds like someone told you porkies - there's no guarantee of good weather in New Zealand, particularly in the south island.

And yes, I agree with the comments about Kiwis being shocking drivers.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

And another thing..........we don't wear Speedos on the beach!
Old Jan 4th 2005, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JAJ
NZPR no benefit for moving to OZ
I'd like some insight as to why this is so. OZPR's or OZ citizens can get NZPR on their arrival in NZ.

Most international rules are reciprical (i.e. healthcare / visa waver schemes). So I am bemused that OZ does not recipricate the benefits affored to OZPR's and OZ citizens.

Also, anybody got an insight as to why there will be such a large disparity between qualifying for citizenship? 2 years (OZ) compared to 5 years (NZ) is a big difference. What is oz trying to achieve? What is NZ trying to achieve? They must have very different perspectives.

Do people use OZ as a back door to get into NZ?

I never thought of moving to NZ because I heard it was similar to the UK. I didn't see much point moving somewhere similar to where I was already. Also I came via ENS. However I would imagine those desperate to get into NZ would be willing to enter oz first on their way there.

Another thing that I don't understand is the vagueness of the rule with OZPR wrt New Zealand residency. It states that you need a RRV but has anybody actually been turned back if they entered with a newly validated OZ PR visa? I haven't heard of anybody.

Does this mean that people can get OZPR (easier to obtain) and then fly to Auckland via Sydney to become NZPR? Sounds stupid if they allow it.

Last edited by JAJ; Jan 4th 2005 at 5:01 am.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 3:35 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

if only life was so simple. you could ask the same questions about why the uk allows aussies a 2-year unrestricted working-holiday visa whereas australia only offers us poms a 1-year restricted working-holiday visa. or why aussies can only work for a maximum of 3 months in denmark on a whv, but the danes can work the full 12 months in oz.

i think that most international rules *aren't* exactly reciprocal

Originally Posted by jwatsonoz
Most international rules are reciprical (i.e. healthcare / visa waver schemes). So I am bemused that OZ does not recipricate the benefits affored to OZPR's and OZ citizens.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 3:52 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
And another thing..........we don't wear Speedos on the beach!
Be grateful for small mercys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.