British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Aussie-Brit off to Auckland! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/aussie-brit-off-auckland-737786/)

liz_r Nov 3rd 2011 3:48 pm

Aussie-Brit off to Auckland!

Hi everyone,

I have just joined up and after almost a year of vaguely talking about it, am now planning a move over to NZ possibly as early as the first few months of next year.

I am originally from Australia, and so am extremely fortunate not to have to go through all the cost and hassle of NZ immigration procedures (please don't hate me!), but have been living in the UK for the past 5 years with my Anglo-Aussie husband, and now have a British passport as well (which on a technicality at least makes me a would-be "British Expat"!)

We are most probably going to settle in Auckland, near some Brit friends who moved out there almost 2 years ago and are loving it. I have distant relatives in Christchurch but am a bit nervous about the prospect of moving to a place that still averages one aftershock daily.

We have two cats who are coming with us - one of the reasons the decision was for NZ rather than back to Australia was the shorter quarantine period (or, at the time we started thinking about it, complete lack of quarantine which has sadly now changed...)

Anyway, just wanted to say G'day and hope to chat and exchange ideas with some of you soon.

Cheers
Liz

Rosemary Nov 3rd 2011 5:30 pm

Re: Aussie-Brit off to Auckland!

Hello and a big welcome to the New Zealand section of BE from the Consierges in Spain.

You will find excellent information in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

BE Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font. Also there are Consierges who can support and guide you.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary

scrubbedexpat094 Nov 3rd 2011 10:02 pm

Hi Liz & welcome to our friendly NZ forum. We are always happy to answer any questions or help with any problems you may be having. Some of us are also quite nosy (like me for instance :sneaky:) & want to know whereabouts in Auckland you are planning to live? ;)

liz_r Nov 4th 2011 8:58 am

Hi,

Thanks for the welcoming words. At this stage not really sure about where in Auckland we might settle. We have Brit friends who live on the Lower North Shore and we were perhaps thinking about somewhere on the North Shore close to ferries (as I have experienced Auckland peak-hour traffic before and it's a total nightmare!) but are totally open to all ideas at this early planning stage. I would be working in the CBD and hubby probably would as well, so anywhere reasonably commutable is an option at this stage.

Whoever of us gets a job first will come out alone, spend a few months house-hunting whilst staying in serviced accommodation while other half ties up loose ends in the UK, and then arrives later with the cats who will have a proper home to move into once they are released from quarantine, is the plan for now.

So exciting - it was only last week that we made the definite decision that this is going to happen! First step is tomorrow morning taking the cats to the vet for their rabies jabs.