British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Aus to NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/aus-nz-630772/)

Budawang Sep 14th 2009 9:24 pm

Aus to NZ

Has anyone here moved from Australia to New Zealand? You hear about a lot of people moving in the other direction, but I'm curious to know how people have found the reverse move. In reading these posts I get the sense that a lot of people are satisfied and happy to have moved from the UK to NZ.

sr71 Sep 15th 2009 1:39 am

Re: Aus to NZ

I know of a few people who have done it, mostly through internal work transfers so money is probably not a motivating factor.

One of the major reasons so many Kiwis go over to Australia is simply money and the promise of having a better life because of this. I've seen people with no chance in NZ blossom in Australia and have the 4 bedroom house and flash cars within a few years of arriving. So much more opportunity.

However if you are rich in NZ living in a leafy suburb, with a boat and a holiday house etc, the money to travel regularly then it's a very good lifestyle.

adamlt1972 Sep 15th 2009 6:29 am

I did it, a couple of months ago for a job and it was fine.
I'd lived in NZ before, so that probably helped me adapt (and I'd only been in Oz for 9 months), but I generally find NZ more relaxed, maybe a bit more sedate, and quite a bit cooler!!!
On a financial note I'm being paid OK, but from what I can tell people are generally paid less than in Oz. I do however find that prices here are cheaper than in Australia, and I know that one of (the ridiculously sensationalist) Aussie current affairs shows highlighted the lower prices of everyday goods in NZ recently.

sr71 Sep 15th 2009 6:38 am

Originally Posted by adamlt1972 (Post 7932148)
Aussie current affairs shows highlighted the lower prices of everyday goods in NZ recently.

Aus is generally like Britain was 10 years ago - a total rip-off in nearly every respect. But most Aussies seem deluded and just put up with it.

Some of my recent purchases :

DAB Radio $270 shipped from the UK - $699 in Myers
New Xbox games $65-70 shipped from UK - $100-120 in Aus
Books are generally under half price if shipped from Amazon or Book Depository
Most consumer electronics are way cheaper in NZ and the UK

I mean the old excuse of shipping costs and distance is just insulting.

adamlt1972 Sep 15th 2009 7:19 am

Originally Posted by sr71 (Post 7932160)
Aus is generally like Britain was 10 years ago - a total rip-off in nearly every respect. But most Aussies seem deluded and just put up with it.

Some of my recent purchases :

DAB Radio $270 shipped from the UK - $699 in Myers
New Xbox games $65-70 shipped from UK - $100-120 in Aus
Books are generally under half price if shipped from Amazon or Book Depository
Most consumer electronics are way cheaper in NZ and the UK

I mean the old excuse of shipping costs and distance is just insulting.

I agree with the general principle of this, but I don't think prices in NZ are comparable to the UK, I think the extra retail competition in the Uk keeps prices lower than NZ. But I do think NZ is cheaper than Oz.
I think the price of cars is interesting, I got the impression that when looking for cars that they were cheaper in Nz than Oz. Maybe this is due to the fact that the NZ used car market is dominated by japanese imports.

sr71 Sep 15th 2009 7:27 am

Aus is very protective of it's own car industry, they also have higher taxes for anything European.

Budawang Sep 15th 2009 9:11 am

I'm just going to NZ on holiday for a few weeks from next week. I'm pretty happy with the quality of life here in Oz, but am interested in maybe living in NZ for a while. This will be appealing if the cost of living there is lower than here given the strong AUD. What's more important to me is the general vibe and the openess of the locals so I may get a sense of that when I'm there next week.

adamlt1972 Sep 15th 2009 9:19 am

Well the NZ$ is doing well,even when compared to the aussie dollar at the moment, but that really shouldn't be a consideration in deciding where to live (outside of Zimbabwe), as these things oscillate anyway.
In general terms, and dependent on your line of work, you'll be paid less in NZ than Oz, and it will be slightly cheaper to live here. You might also feel a bit safer here, and the people friendlier, but maybe the place won't be as commercially minded or exciting, but they're only my experiences, and I'm sure dozens of others will have different experiences.

Budawang Oct 3rd 2009 6:17 pm

Well Ive been in NZ for ten days now. Currently in Wanaka after driving down the West Coast. I must say I really love what Ive seen. Beautiful scenery and friendly natives. I know being a tourist is totally different to being a resident, but you can still get a good a feel for a place if you talk to the locals. Although Im a proud Aussie, here are a couple of things I prefer:

- more relaxed people
- more approachable and open people
- better client service
- less of a police state (I havent seen one sign saying "Penalty Applies")
- incredibly diverse scenery
- cheap skiing

I could probably come up with a list of things that are better in Australia but for me the friendliness of the locals is the clincher and NZ wins. I totally fell in love with Nelson - I could really see myself living there. Rented a house with stunning views of Tasman Bay, had one of the best restaurant meals Ive ever had (Ive eaten at top French restaurants) and the seafood is fantastic.

My impressions are a bit unrealistic, of course, because my NZ experience has been funded by a well-paying Australian job. I know salaries are a lot lower over here and costs seem quite similar. Id probably earn half as much in Nelson as I do in Canberra - if I could find a job.

Got the rose-tinted glasses on and enjoying every minute of it :thumbup:

bourbon-biscuit Oct 7th 2009 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Budawang (Post 7986639)
Although Im a proud Aussie, here are a couple of things I prefer:

- more relaxed people
- more approachable and open people
- better client service
- less of a police state (I havent seen one sign saying "Penalty Applies")
- incredibly diverse scenery
- cheap skiing

I agree with all your observations! It's the little things that make living here a breeze- like going to get your WOF done at the orange place in Cambridge- no queues, offered coffee while you wait and chatted to by nice people and then charged the princely sum of $49. Schooling here is, imho, much broader and more interesting.

I hopped the ditch again after 2 yrs in NZ and 7 months in Australia- we're financially worse off her in NZ but our lives are richer ;)

BEVS Oct 8th 2009 1:47 am

Originally Posted by Budawang (Post 7986639)

I totally fell in love with Nelson - I could really see myself living there. Rented a house with stunning views of Tasman Bay, had one of the best restaurant meals Ive ever had (Ive eaten at top French restaurants) and the seafood is fantastic.

Got the rose-tinted glasses on and enjoying every minute of it :thumbup:

We're up that way. Which restaurant out of interest?

nelsonpom Oct 8th 2009 2:34 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 7998775)
We're up that way. Which restaurant out of interest?

Im interested too, so please tell.
As for Oz v Nz have lived both. I lived in Perth for a year (scarboro to be exact which was a bit disconcerting :p) For me I love both which is prob a good thing as im down here. Find Nz weather much similar to UK just bit nicer Perth was toooo hot. Kiwis more laid back but actually made aussie mates easier. I personally would still be open to Oz who knows what will happen but I really love NZ, been here 4 years and counting......
Out of interest see your from Canberra which is where my sister will arrive soon (raf transfer) any does or don'ts. Also hope to visit soon any good times to go ....

Budawang Oct 10th 2009 5:10 am

Originally Posted by nelsonpom (Post 7998833)
Im interested too, so please tell.
As for Oz v Nz have lived both. I lived in Perth for a year (scarboro to be exact which was a bit disconcerting :p) For me I love both which is prob a good thing as im down here. Find Nz weather much similar to UK just bit nicer Perth was toooo hot. Kiwis more laid back but actually made aussie mates easier. I personally would still be open to Oz who knows what will happen but I really love NZ, been here 4 years and counting......
Out of interest see your from Canberra which is where my sister will arrive soon (raf transfer) any does or don'ts. Also hope to visit soon any good times to go ....

The restaurant in Nelson was called Hopgoods - awesome feed.

Just got back after a wonderful 15-day tour of the South Island with wife and son in tow. It was capped off with a night at the Hermitage at the base of Mount Cook - we managed to see the mountain in all its glory before the snow started falling. Loved every region we visited, but my favourite would have to be Nelson and environs and Glenorchy for sheer pristine beauty. Queenstown was beautiful but too touristy for my liking. Wanaka was brilliant but a bit pricey and has a "ski town" feel to it. The skiing at Treble Cone was great fun although its no place for beginners! :eek: I met two locals on a chairlift and they spent the rest of their day showing me around the resort - how cool is that.

Loved the West Coast as well - people seemed the most friendly/genuine of the lot but I'm not sure I could live there due to the weather. Christchurch was a pleasant surprise and seemed to be a city with a small town feel to it. Seemed to have a lively arts scene and I was impressed by the Arts Precinct.

What impressed me was how easy it is to strike up a conversation with almost anyone. People seemed more laid back and appeared to genuinely enjoy chatting to strangers - I can't imagine it would be hard to make friends. Aussies are like that in some of the regional areas but are often a bit "rough around the edges". Australia these days has an increasingly hard-edged, competitive feel to it. The mateship thing is a bit of myth and people are quite individualistic over here.

15 days as a tourist hardly makes me an expert, but I can definately see myself living across the ditch. I know incomes are significantly lower than Aus but, surprisingly, there wasn't any obvious evidence of people being much poorer. On the downside the TV and newspapers really suck there - at least we have the ABC and SBS over here. Maybe having shite TV is a pre-requisite for socially outgoing people? My overall impression of NZ: stunningly beautiful country, super friendly people and great food and wine. :wub:

You asked me about Canberra. It's visually very pretty, particularly at this time of year. It has nice hills, lakes, a healthy climate, good infrastructure and attractive gardens. Its population is well educated and affluent. It's also quite well situated in relation to Sydney (for your big city fix), the coast (beautiful beaches) and some modest ski fields within a 2.5 hour drive. The downside is that many of the residents are public servants and are not, in my experience, particularly open, warm or sociable. Best time of year? Autumn or spring are the pick. Summers can get a bit too hot but rarely uncomfortable due to low humidity. Winters are surprisingly cold and comparable to Christchurch.

BEVS Oct 10th 2009 5:14 am

Hey. I'm glad you like the area we chose to live in :) [Nelson and Bays]
We get the advantage of great weather but are near to a ski field.
Been here for over five years now in a village called Mapua ,outside of Nelson and it really is a lovely place to be.

Budawang Oct 10th 2009 5:43 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 8005374)
Hey. I'm glad you like the area we chose to live in :) [Nelson and Bays]
We get the advantage of great weather but are near to a ski field.
Been here for over five years now in a village called Mapua ,outside of Nelson and it really is a lovely place to be.

I sure did like it BEVS. The weather wasn't great the three days we were there, but that was unusual apparently. Stayed at the Wheelhouse perched up high overlooking the bay. Views to die for. Went walking in Abel Tasman NP and afterwards stopped off for some wine tasting at the Sigfrieds winery. :beer: We're already looking at real estate opportunities :).