Aukland

Old Apr 3rd 2005, 10:29 am
  #1  
AdyC
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2
adyc is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Aukland

Hello everybody,

The temptation to move to Beautiful New Zealand has finally overwhelmed us.

We rather like the look of Aukland, job prospects don't look too shabby, I am a construction project manager, and I have heard good things about the educational system out there; my daughter is nearly 16.

Any guidence about the differences between the english schools curriculum and the Kiwi version would be most welcome and any problems you may have encountered when you all took The Big Step.

Many Thanks in anticipation.

AdyC
adyc is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2005, 12:11 pm
  #2  
Non-addicted member!
 
garrisondamn's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 343
garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Aukland

Originally Posted by adyc
Hello everybody,

The temptation to move to Beautiful New Zealand has finally overwhelmed us.

We rather like the look of Aukland, job prospects don't look too shabby, I am a construction project manager, and I have heard good things about the educational system out there; my daughter is nearly 16.

Any guidence about the differences between the english schools curriculum and the Kiwi version would be most welcome and any problems you may have encountered when you all took The Big Step.

Many Thanks in anticipation.

AdyC
You mean AUCKLAND!
Good luck! there are lots of ads on the TV right now encouraging Aucklanders who are "stuck in the rut" (or something like that) to move to Dunedin!

I like Auckland, coming from the Uk, i quite miss busy towns and cities (sad eh!) Auckland is buzzing, lots of construction going on there for you. Not got any kids in school, so sorry can't help there.
I visit Auck quite a bit with my work and it's definately a different feel up there than here, oh and humid... and never far from a rain storm
I think every city/town in NZ has it's own buzz, its own feel. Aucks great for that.
When you get there, you may take one look at the Auck motorway (car park more like :scared: ) and go to Dunedin

Problems when we took the big step? Yeah not bringing everything with us from UK and having to spend a bloody fortune replacing what we left behind!

It was winter here when we first got here and bloody freezing as we were in Akaroa.....don't ask me why!

Not much really, settled in quite well, all found good jobs (which we are still in)within 6 weeks.

Rented a house, found a doctor, dentist, registered with IR etc. and enjoying getting more junk mail through the post in one day than a month in UK!

Hope all goes well for you all. It's working for us so far.
garrisondamn is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2005, 6:24 pm
  #3  
AdyC
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2
adyc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Aukland

Originally Posted by garrisondamn
You mean AUCKLAND!
Good luck! there are lots of ads on the TV right now encouraging Aucklanders who are "stuck in the rut" (or something like that) to move to Dunedin!

I like Auckland, coming from the Uk, i quite miss busy towns and cities (sad eh!) Auckland is buzzing, lots of construction going on there for you. Not got any kids in school, so sorry can't help there.
I visit Auck quite a bit with my work and it's definately a different feel up there than here, oh and humid... and never far from a rain storm
I think every city/town in NZ has it's own buzz, its own feel. Aucks great for that.
When you get there, you may take one look at the Auck motorway (car park more like :scared: ) and go to Dunedin

Problems when we took the big step? Yeah not bringing everything with us from UK and having to spend a bloody fortune replacing what we left behind!

It was winter here when we first got here and bloody freezing as we were in Akaroa.....don't ask me why!

Not much really, settled in quite well, all found good jobs (which we are still in)within 6 weeks.

Rented a house, found a doctor, dentist, registered with IR etc. and enjoying getting more junk mail through the post in one day than a month in UK!

Hope all goes well for you all. It's working for us so far.

Thanks for that Alan. Are you based in Dunedin? Glad it is working for you and yours, I must admit I feel quite positive about this, even at this early stage. By the way, how long did it take you to get your Visas etc.?

Regards,

Ady
adyc is offline  
Old Apr 5th 2005, 10:34 am
  #4  
Non-addicted member!
 
garrisondamn's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 343
garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Aukland

Originally Posted by adyc
Thanks for that Alan. Are you based in Dunedin? Glad it is working for you and yours, I must admit I feel quite positive about this, even at this early stage. By the way, how long did it take you to get your Visas etc.?

Regards,

Ady
We are in sunny Nelson, the sunniest place in NZ! as it says by my name!
Welcome to the forum
From memory, it took 3 days for our application to be accepted from submission! whole process took a lot longer though. Getting all the relevant info takes time, medicals, police clearance, job references etc. Used a immigration consultant too, very efficient and very expensive!!!

Good luck guys!
garrisondamn is offline  
Old Apr 5th 2005, 12:28 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 119
binman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Aukland

[QUOTE=adyc]Hello everybody,

The temptation to move to Beautiful New Zealand has finally overwhelmed us.

We rather like the look of Aukland, job prospects don't look too shabby, I am a construction project manager, and I have heard good things about the educational system out there; my daughter is nearly 16.

Any guidence about the differences between the english schools curriculum and the Kiwi version would be most welcome and any problems you may have encountered when you all took The Big Step.

Many Thanks in anticipation.


Hello Adyc. The local schools examination NCEA which was introduced two or three years ago seems to be dogged by controversy. The more academic schools are particularly vocal about its shortcomings and as a result opted to offer CIE [Cambridge International Examinations] as an alternative to the NCEA. I am sending a link to Macleans College, search the site and you will find information about the CIE and NCEA examinations. Cheers binman
http://www.macleans.school.nz/events/2004/24_02_04.htm
binman is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.