Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Aucklanders : would you like to describe the corners you live in ?

Aucklanders : would you like to describe the corners you live in ?

Old Oct 25th 2005, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

Dora is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Aucklanders : would you like to describe the corners you live in ?

Hi all,

this idea came after having read the very incomplete guide 'Where to live in Auckland'. It costed me 40 NZD and is almost useless.

I think that, through time, with all the energies and the very helping hands on this forum, we could give a far better image on the residential areas than this guide.

Any description may be useful ... shorter or longer...of a street or of a corner/area... I commit myself to making all what you write into a document useful for all the newbies

As an example, I will describe you mycurrent location ..in Berlin.

We live in the East Berlin, at 5 minutes walking distance for the S-Bahn Baumschulenweg stop. The area itself is called Baumschulenweg because of an arboretum of the University which is not very far. The area is at 35 minutes by S-Bahn (town train) from the city center (Mitte) and 25 minutes in public transport from he closest university campus (in Adlershof, where the science faculties are). There are two noisy main streets crossing Baumschulenweg, Kiefholzstr. and Baumschulenstrasse which are bordered by 1930-1940 3 stories buldings. Each building has a small shop at the ground floor and usually has an interior yard. One can do the whole shopping in the area (there are three small food 'malls' in walking distance - branches of Lidl, Kaisers and Plus - and a commercial complex at the next S-Bahn stop). The backward streets are smaller and much more quiet. Buildings are in the house-block style, always of three stories, build around 1980. There are plenty of trees among them and quite a few playing grounds. The area is bordered by a canal on on side and by forest on another. It has three kindergarten and at least two primary schools. To main circulation axes bord it : Kopenicker Landstrasse and Sonnenallee

Further from the S-Bahn station there are some nice, entirely residential areas, with one-stories houses built into each other by 'packs' of four. All have a piece of garden.

You can see he area on the map below
http://www.berlin.de/stadtplan/map.a...23a60&size=5x5

The main population if of retired persons and families with kids, mostly Germans, with only a few restaurants and small shops owned by naturalized people original form Turkey, China or Vietnam.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 7:12 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aucklanders : would you like to describe the corners you live in ?

Originally Posted by Dora
Hi all,

this idea came after having read the very incomplete guide 'Where to live in Auckland'. It costed me 40 NZD and is almost useless.
Oh dear Dora,

I think that book is absolutely fantastic. Perhaps it's the style? It does contain a lot of detail on who lives in what suburbs, how good the facilities are, schools and access to them, transport issues etc etc. It is not written in the way that you describe your neighbourhood as I suspect it is slightly more macro than micro in its approach. I would say it is pretty accurate in its content though.

There are lots of people on this forum who live in different parts of Auckland who may be able to offer you the info. you're after though.

And if you're interested in selling the book please let me know. I do not have a copy in my house at the moment - long story.

Carmen.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

Dora is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Oh dear Dora,

I think that book is absolutely fantastic. Perhaps it's the style? It does contain a lot of detail on who lives in what suburbs, how good the facilities are, schools and access to them, transport issues etc etc. It is not written in the way that you describe your neighbourhood as I suspect it is slightly more macro than micro in its approach. I would say it is pretty accurate in its content though.

There are lots of people on this forum who live in different parts of Auckland who may be able to offer you the info. you're after though.

And if you're interested in selling the book please let me know. I do not have a copy in my house at the moment - long story.

Carmen.

Dear Carmen,
actually you are right, the book is good in its kind ... but it's this sort of souless /macro aspect which is misleading. I cannot get a figure of how it feels to live in a certain place...

I usually don't sell my books but if you need it after I finish settling somewhere in Auckland I can lent t to you with pleasure.

Cheers,
adina
Old Oct 25th 2005, 7:47 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dora
Dear Carmen,
actually you are right, the book is good in its kind ... but it's this sort of souless /macro aspect which is misleading. I cannot get a figure of how it feels to live in a certain place...

I usually don't sell my books but if you need it after I finish settling somewhere in Auckland I can lent t to you with pleasure.

Cheers,
adina
Thanks for the offer. Don't worry, I'll be down in December and will pick up another copy, I just didn't want you to throw it away or anything! Good luck with the move.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. I live in Beachlands with my partner and 2 year old tiny terror.

Its lovely here..... we have 2 beaches within walking distance of the house we rent... we have a couple Regional parks nearby and one even has petting animals for the kiddies. We have a few shops here.... hairdressers.... butcher.... 2 grocery shops... new pet shop.... takeaway...pie shop (yum) they do good cakes too! ... Theres a new medical centre. There is beautiful scenery around us....rolling hills and sea views.... we are only 20 minutes drive from Manukau and Botony but it feels so far out of town. Everyone is friendly and all the houses here are different to the next one. You can catch a ferry here from Pine Harbour to the CBD or over to Waiheke. Its a lovely place to live. I've bought an ex racehorse really cheap as he was destined to be in tins and hes kept on Clifton Peninsular and you can ride round the mangroves and down to the sea at low tide..... how cool is that!