Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Auckland to Wellington

Auckland to Wellington

Old Aug 15th 2019, 3:32 pm
Used to be Seasider

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Auckland to Wellington

We did this in reverse a few years ago when we went for a wedding. (Before Australia got equality and put paid to all those weddings in New Zealand!)

In Wellington we all stayed at the Museum Art Hotel, which was lovely and very quirky. I think it's since been taken over by QT so not sure if it's retained its individuality or taken on their own type of try-hard quirk. The Hippopotamus restaurant was amazing, of course I loved the champagne cart.

The wedding was at the well-known Logan Brown Restaurant, which was excellent.

I did rate Te Papa. I learned a lot about the Treaty and, being a tree hugging hippy and ex Greenpeacer, I found seeing part of the bombed Rainbow Warrior very moving. We didn't have a lot of free time to do anything else though some did do the cable car.

We had a night at Lake Taupo, drove up and arrived just as the sun was starting to set and it was beautiful. We stayed at the Millennium Hotel and Resort Manuels, which was very motel-y and not really our thing but the view to wake up to was worth it.

In Auckland we stayed at another lovely hotel - Hotel DeBrett. Small and again quirky, just our thing. Very stylish and they upgraded us to a lovely 2 level suite. We visited Auckland Art Gallery (Toi O Tamaki) and argued about whether Billy Apple is art. Other than that we just wandered, shopped, met friends, ate and drank. Perfect.

We were there early June and I was frozen - I had to buy a hat.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 8:52 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kooky. View Post
We did this in reverse a few years ago when we went for a wedding. (Before Australia got equality and put paid to all those weddings in New Zealand!)

In Wellington we all stayed at the Museum Art Hotel, which was lovely and very quirky. I think it's since been taken over by QT so not sure if it's retained its individuality or taken on their own type of try-hard quirk. The Hippopotamus restaurant was amazing, of course I loved the champagne cart.

The wedding was at the well-known Logan Brown Restaurant, which was excellent.

I did rate Te Papa. I learned a lot about the Treaty and, being a tree hugging hippy and ex Greenpeacer, I found seeing part of the bombed Rainbow Warrior very moving. We didn't have a lot of free time to do anything else though some did do the cable car.

We had a night at Lake Taupo, drove up and arrived just as the sun was starting to set and it was beautiful. We stayed at the Millennium Hotel and Resort Manuels, which was very motel-y and not really our thing but the view to wake up to was worth it.

In Auckland we stayed at another lovely hotel - Hotel DeBrett. Small and again quirky, just our thing. Very stylish and they upgraded us to a lovely 2 level suite. We visited Auckland Art Gallery (Toi O Tamaki) and argued about whether Billy Apple is art. Other than that we just wandered, shopped, met friends, ate and drank. Perfect.

We were there early June and I was frozen - I had to buy a hat.
Great post Kooky.

How many days/nights? I do think Lake Taupo is worth a call-in. I'd also go with Te Papa over the Wellington Museum. I think Te Papa offers the visitor a more all round experience.

BTW. Do not bother witht he observatory at the top of the cable car. It is geared for kids.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 10:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for the information and advice. We have now decided to drive from Auckland, give New Plymouth a miss and head for Lake Taupo. Hubby wants to see Mt. Taranaki. We are more interested in seeing the landscape than visiting museums. Hubby’s hobby is photography, so mountains, lakes, harbours, wildlife etc are top of the list.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 10:17 pm
Used to be Seasider

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

IIRC we arrived Friday, left Thursday.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 10:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kooky. View Post
IIRC we arrived Friday, left Thursday.
We wished we had longer but we need to get back.
Old Aug 16th 2019, 1:58 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

All the talk in Wellington has been about the Super Rats. Big they say...

...big enough to feed a small family.
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 2:01 am
Finally mesh free!

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Thank you so much for the information and advice. We have now decided to drive from Auckland, give New Plymouth a miss and head for Lake Taupo. Hubby wants to see Mt. Taranaki. We are more interested in seeing the landscape than visiting museums. Hubby’s hobby is photography, so mountains, lakes, harbours, wildlife etc are top of the list.
Taupo is a lovely place for a stop-over. Take a look at Huka Falls, beautiful location. We've done the Huka Jet if you like a bit of adventure, nice to get views from below the falls. The waterfall isn't impressive in terms of the height but the amount of water that comes through the channel, oh and the colour of the water!
You'll have great views (on a clear day) of Tongariro, Ngaurohoe and Ruapehu across Lake Taupo.