Reload this Page >

Auckland or Wellington?

Auckland or Wellington?

Old Jul 3rd 2018, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

katie8383 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Auckland or Wellington?

HI all,

It looks like we may be given an option of which city to relocate to when accepting a potential job offer - Auckland or Wellington?

We haven't been to Wellington before. I've been doing my research and using cost of living calculators etc and it appears Wellington would be the better choice in terms of living costs (cheaper rent etc). Is this the case?

Also, living costs aside, which city is better in peoples opinion?

Would love to hear.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Auckland or Wellington?

Will your wage be the same in both cities? Cos I'd want loads more in Auckland to match up financially. Rentals are pretty hard to get in Wellington mind, massive competition especially in peak student times. Peak hour traffic is shocking in both but I think Wellington has better transport options, I'm sure others will fight it all out soon enough! Auckland has better weather mind! But welly has culture!
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 7:42 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

As said would need higher wage for Auckland. Rentals anywhere are hard to come by for reasonable cost so maybe do a cost comparison on the size you will need with the same commute time to work and see the difference. Also want else are you looking for in area you want to come to?
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

Hey Timmy! Thanks for your reply.

Well this is also something I am unsure of - would an employer generally offer a different salary depending on the city we choose to go with?

Interesting to hear that rentals are harder in Wellington. When you say traffic, is it as bad as the UK?
I think naturally we want to pick Auckland, but I also noticed if we were to apply for residency via skilled migrant category you get more points if you are working outside of Auckland.
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your reply. I guess we would get a higher wage for a job in Auckland.

I would say we are a mix of city and country people. I love a city (especially if its quite young/trendy with a cool bar and music scene) but I also love the great outdoors and being able to explore new and different places.
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
As said would need higher wage for Auckland. Rentals anywhere are hard to come by for reasonable cost so maybe do a cost comparison on the size you will need with the same commute time to work and see the difference. Also want else are you looking for in area you want to come to?

Thanks for your reply. I guess we would get a higher wage for a job in Auckland.

I would say we are a mix of city and country people. I love a city (especially if its quite young/trendy with a cool bar and music scene) but I also love the great outdoors and being able to explore new and different places
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Are you in Manchester now, as your bio box says?

Both Auckland and Wellington are a lot smaller than Manchester, but seem a lot bigger than they actually are, because of the comparatively low populations out this way. Auckland though fits "city," has a population about equivalent to that of metro Glasgow, and is the only city in New Zealand with more than a million people. I think if you are coming from the UK you should think of Wellington as a large-ish town and approach it that way. With Wellington you are looking at a metro area that is about the size of Cardiff. Just, keep that in mind when you reflect on what you consider "city comforts."

I would probably pick Wellington, though with the caveats others have mentioned.

In both places you have access to the outdoors.
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katie8383
Also, living costs aside, which city is better in peoples opinion?
Wellington sits on the edge of a tectonic plate fault, Auckland sits on the top of a dormant - not extinct, volcanic field.

You pays your money and you takes your choice
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 12:56 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Auckland has more rain fall, Wellington is windier. Auckland open to possibilities of tsunami, Wellington over due a large quake. Auckland over crowded and built up, Wellington not so so you may need to travel more to get to facilities.

as you say more points outside Auckland, so if you don't need the points then maybe try one and transfer if you don't like the first area, if you need the points then it's Wellington with option to transfer once here.

Last edited by MrsFychan; Jul 3rd 2018 at 3:49 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 11:33 pm
Just Joined

Jase777 is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's a couple of points of note, keep in mind I'm biased because I'm a Wellingtonian. Auckland is ridiculously expensive, among the most expensive cities to live in the world. Unless you are a top end professional you probably won't get paid more money for working in Auckland. Auckland traffic is terrible! Auckland has a more metropolitan and less friendly attitude amongst its people. Wellington is very windy, but it has much better culture, less traffic and lower living costs. Wellington is the capital of NZ so much of its commercial sector is centred around government. If you are looking for a lifestyle change and you want a more relaxed vibe don't rule out Christchurch or Dunedin. Hope this helps.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Only look at Dunedin is you like cold weather for months on end.
its a cold and damp place.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 5:37 am
Just Joined

Jase777 is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually Dunedin is dryer than Auckland. It is certainly cold but katie8383 is coming from Manchester, Dunedin can't compete with that in terms of coldness.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jase777
Wellington is very windy, but it has much better culture
Please can you explain 'better culture'?
Old Jul 4th 2018, 7:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually Dunedin is dryer than Auckland. It is certainly cold but katie8383 is coming from Manchester, Dunedin can't compete with that in terms of coldness.
I don't think anyone in Manchester feels cold at the moment. But of course Dunedin is always an option.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Its not due to rainfall, its damp because its not got the same temperate climate. In Auckland it rains, gets warm and dries out, Dunedin doesn't.
Im also a Mancunian and its not colder than here. Its bloody freezing here at the moment and has been for weeks. In my 40 odd years in Mancunia I never once saw a - 7 morning. Despite that, I still wouldn't leave here

Last edited by Justcol; Jul 4th 2018 at 7:50 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.