Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Auckland to Wellington!!!

Auckland to Wellington!!!

Old Sep 15th 2012, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

qssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really nice
Smile Auckland to Wellington!!!

Hello,
Thanks for all of your help so far, I'm sure you seasoned expats must have a chuckle at some of the questions posted by the newbies amongst us!

I have previously asked about Auckland, but it appears now that I may be posted to Wellington near to Ghuznee Street. Has anyone any advice about Wellington and potential places to rent. Budget up to $700 per week, ideally for 5+ beds and at least 1/3 acre garden! Also, how windy is it really? Thanks again for any help
Sue
Old Sep 15th 2012, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Auckland to Wellington!!!

Yes it can be very windy on occasions, funnily enough.

Something like this might suit.
For what you want, you are most likely going to be some way out of town.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/property/re...-506983741.htm
Old Sep 15th 2012, 10:03 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

the wind in Wellington is nothing like the wind I am used to and does scare me at times. Being on a raised plot with trees around the wind can howl through the trees, making them creak and crack and under the house and of course being wood built the house does moved, shake, crack and creak also. But we are not to far from the sea so guessing its strong for that reason, so glad now we didn't buy the house that actually overlooked the Bay as I would be crapping myself lots.
I suppose if you are more in town have less trees it won't seem as bad but guessing you also won't get the outlook.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to avoid the windy weather of Wellington then I suggest you need to move to the suburbs.

We're on the Kapiti Coast for that very reason, take Thursday when I was driving to work at 8am the radio said it was -1.5 in Upper Hutt, -1 in Lower Hutt, 3 in the Capital and 9 degrees up here on the coast!

Once the land flattens out Paekakariki northwards the weather noticeably improves, although it can still be windy at times especially in spring. You get more for your money and more land too together with 46km of flat beach to enjoy The downside is the commute. My OH commutes, it takes him 1 hour door to door, but he always gets a seat. The schools are very good around here too.

If you do go for Wellington then check which parts of your house will get the sun as some areas of Wellington are notorious for damp houses especially in the hills. Houses on concrete bases are warmer too, some of the ones on stilts in Wellington freak me out! Here's an example of what you'd get in Paraparaumu that matches your requirement: http://www.trademe.co.nz/property/re...-505722237.htm

Closer to Wellington then the Whitby/Aotea area might suit your requirements, although the lack of secondary school may be an issue. If you're not fussed by the sea then Upper Hutt is also a possibility if you want a larger plot. Here's an example of a house in the hills of Khandallah which is a nice area with good schools and transport links, but no garden (beware of the sun/shade issue though) http://www.trademe.co.nz/property/re...-510862308.htm

If you want to ask any further questions, feel free.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 1:16 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Wellington is windy but some say it's reputation is undeserved. There are places in Wellington much windier than Wellington to the point that it doesn't even make the top three windiest places in NZ.

I've stayed at a hotel in Willis Street, Wellington. My husband has business meetings in Manners Street. We live in Wanganui, to far to commute to Wellington regularly but not to far for the occasional visit.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 3:23 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

It's not that windy!
Okay sometimes it is but it's far from constant like most Aucklanders think.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Cate...00&178=0&178=0