Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Auckland or Wellington

Auckland or Wellington

Old Nov 21st 2009, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

DavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to all
Default Auckland or Wellington

Right now EOI has been selected (without job offer)& the process has started we are now thinking more about the possibility of our new life in New Zealand.
I work in IT (Data warehousing) and my job opporunities are going to be either Wellington or Auckland City Centres. We both worked in NZ on < 30 visas over 10 years ago for 6 months & wanted to come back, now we have kids (5 &8) we have got the wheels in motion.

We were initially thinking of Wellington & living north near the Paraparaumu trainline into town. I don't want a long commute < 40 mins but unsure what areas to choose.

We previously lived in Auckland and lived in MT Eden which was great, now thinking of the North Shore or Browns bay area but I don't want to be stuck in traffic on the bridge every day!

I know the weather is better in Auckland and both cities have access to the country and fantastic beaches and can offer our family the quality of life we are after, just unsure which one we should go for.

Can any one suggest some fantastic family suburbs of either city that are an easy commute into the city centre. I would also love to cycle in < 20 miles as I currently do that in the uk a couple of days per week, but not sure if I could do that in Wellington or Auckland.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Auckland or Wellington

There are some tech companies on the north shore in the albany area (eg Datastor, Lexel). If you worked there, then Brown's Bay, Torbay etc would be commutable by bike.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

dorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to all

Auckland - Eastern bays Mission Bay, Kohi , St Heliers all lovely- cycle along the waterfront to the city (about 12 km I think) - however not cheap - St Johns, Meadowbank inland of the bays are slightly cheaper - have lived in Meadowbank 30 years and love it but would move to Kohi if I could afford it
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Loads of techie options in Wellington with Gen-i/Telecom, EDS, Datacom and Fujitsu amongst others and if your interested in cycling in your probably don't want to be any further out than Miramar to the eastish, Lower Hutt up SH2 with and Johnsonville via SH1. Loads of decent areas heading in any of these areas...
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 7:08 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Paraparam is longer than a 40 minute commute especially if you calculate door to door. The train is supposed to be improving but I reckon that sort of commute you shoudln't go further than Plimmerton.

...and technically the weather is sunnier and drier in Wellington
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dorrick
Auckland - Eastern bays Mission Bay, Kohi , St Heliers all lovely- cycle along the waterfront to the city (about 12 km I think) - however not cheap - St Johns, Meadowbank inland of the bays are slightly cheaper - have lived in Meadowbank 30 years and love it but would move to Kohi if I could afford it
St Heliers to CBD is 10km, Kohi about 8.5km and Mission Bay 7km all of these are one way trips. Great ride and views, can either ride along the road or the dedicated bike lane all the way into the CBD. There are places to store your bike and have a shower if you want in the CBD if your office is unable to provide. Wherever you chose I am sure you will enjoy it. Happy hunting
Old Nov 24th 2009, 1:53 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow
...and technically the weather is sunnier and drier in Wellington
don't mention zee vind though ......

how many people have seen footage of commuters struggling against the wind in Wellington......??
Old Nov 24th 2009, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Windy Wellington and if you are a mountain goat its fine.

I actually love Wellington and not keen on Auckland at all. I think Wellington has a nice feel to it.

I have relatives and friends on the Kapiti coast, also relatives in Masterton.

We lived there for eight years a long time ago and then came to Aus to live but we visit regularly.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 7:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

As you probably know, most business is not in the Auckland CBD as such, except for corporate HQs finance companies and heaps of rented small office space. It's more important in Auckland to figure where the job is, as this will determine where you live and how long you want to commute. I would not rule out commuting North Shore to the CBD, however you have to bear in mind that lots more larger businesses are further out the other side on the city fringes and Penrose.

If you haven't been to Auckland or particularly the North Shore for ten years plus, then you might be surprised at how many work opportunities there are without going to the city.

For example at Smales Farm there is EDS and Telstraclear, plus Kiwirail (formerly Toll) and a few other big offices, ASB / Sovereign and Air NZ.

http://www.smalesfarm.co.nz/index.cf...ercial_Tenants