Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Auckland or Wellington

Auckland or Wellington

Old Jan 27th 2008, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

tonyhelen is a jewel in the roughtonyhelen is a jewel in the roughtonyhelen is a jewel in the roughtonyhelen is a jewel in the roughtonyhelen is a jewel in the rough
Default Auckland or Wellington

Hi all help cant decide should we move to Auckland or Wellington can anyone suggest best areas in both to move to we are looking to rent first then buy after about 6 months there is so much to think about any help is much apprciated.
P.S sorry but there will be lots more questions to follow
Old Jan 27th 2008, 3:31 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice
Default Re: Auckland or Wellington

Wellington, the people there are so much nicer and the folk of Auckland all smell!

ned

p.s. I have never been to either
Old Jan 27th 2008, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

saritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ned
Wellington, the people there are so much nicer and the folk of Auckland all smell!

ned

p.s. I have never been to either
Well said Ned. I've never been to either but have all of two friends in Welly who call people from Auckland JAFFAS. I'll leave you to figure out the accronym!

Seriously though think Auckland is much bigger and busier. Wellington more compact but worse weather? Then again am poorly qualified to comment so shall finish my post.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

tonyhelen is a jewel in the roughtonyhelen is a jewel in the roughtonyhelen is a jewel in the roughtonyhelen is a jewel in the roughtonyhelen is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by saritabear
Well said Ned. I've never been to either but have all of two friends in Welly who call people from Auckland JAFFAS. I'll leave you to figure out the accronym!

Seriously though think Auckland is much bigger and busier. Wellington more compact but worse weather? Then again am poorly qualified to comment so shall finish my post.
Ok thank you for your input still no wiser though
Old Jan 27th 2008, 6:25 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by tonyhelen
Hi all help cant decide should we move to Auckland or Wellington can anyone suggest best areas in both to move to we are looking to rent first then buy after about 6 months there is so much to think about any help is much apprciated.
P.S sorry but there will be lots more questions to follow
You would be better off having a look at both and see which one fits your needs. This is a boring response, but it is the best I can come up with this morning.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 6:29 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice

Originally Posted by happynz
You would be better off having a look at both and see which one fits your needs. This is a boring response, but it is the best I can come up with this morning.
Well if your prepared to put up with the smell
Old Jan 27th 2008, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

saritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to all

Ok thank you for your input still no wiser though
have sent you a private message (pm).
Old Jan 27th 2008, 6:31 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by ned
Well if you're prepared to put up with the smell
Sorry. I'm only halfway through my coffee. Humour references aren't clicking yet...
Old Jan 27th 2008, 6:33 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

Never mind you'll be p***ing your self later
Old Jan 27th 2008, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by ned
Never mind you'll be p***ing your self later
Cheers.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, as everyone is sitting on the fence, Wellington, all the way, no contest

Seriously, I was out here late 2006, spent a week in Auckland, after initial few days of exploring I must admit I got a little bored, in that same trip I happily spent 3 weeks in Wellington, its a much more compact city so everything is walkable, Auckland has some lovely areas around it (especially up North) but Welly has the Wairarapa and Kapiti coast and is only a short hope to the fantastic South Island (with Nelson and Abel Tasman area just 25 mins in a wee plane or Picton across on what is a lovely ferry trip).

Welly is middle of everything, better for exploring both the North and South islands IMHO and has regular internal flights all around NZ.

It depends what you like in a city, I'm from Edinburgh and found a lot of similarities in size and vibe with Welly, I never get sick of just going out for a walk in this town, whether its in the CBD or down to the harbour or round the bays, or up to the Botanic gardens, also lots of places to sit outside and let teh world pass you by, and great cafe culture here too. And there are no real traffic issues, you can stay out of town and happily commute by train/car into the CBD.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

backdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nice

We live in Auckland and can't wait to leave on the weekends. I haven't spent one weekend here. As for the $#@&% harbour bridge, don't do it to yourself!!!
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:37 pm

Lemon Bear is an unknown quantity at this point

I love Auckland . Just depends where you live I suppose. I don't find the bridge a problem. I guess it depends on where you lived in the UK & the traffic problems you encountered there. I feel like I'm on a permanent holiday .

And Saritabear, if you're going to insult us, please get it right . We are Jafa's
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:54 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lemon Bear
And Saritabear, if you're going to insult us, please get it right . We are Jafa's
I'm with Saritabear on this one. The way it was explained to me was Just Another F***er From Auckland.
But if your happy just being a JAFA then thats OK with me
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:39 pm
TIE
Forum Regular

TIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really nice

Hi all help cant decide should we move to Auckland or Wellington can anyone suggest best areas in both to move to
Hi

Cant help you on Wellington. My favourite place in Auckland is Devonport - old naval village feel, 10-min ferry to downtown Auckland. However property is expensive (!) and if you are driving in/out in rush hour it can be a pain.

For some more info on Auckland suburbs, try this site

www.auckland-suburb-guide.co.nz

The site lists all the suburbs in Auckland with a simple "good/bad/indifferent" rating plus links to Wiki descriptions of most of them. There is also a map showing where the suburbs are.

good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.