Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Auckland or Wellington ???

Auckland or Wellington ???

Old Dec 12th 2006, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute
Question Auckland or Wellington ???

Right I seem to be in a bit of a quandry now!

I wanted to go to Auckland, hubby Wellington - I won that one hehe. Anyway, after what seem like more research than any normal sane person could cope with, it seems for my hubby's job we would be better off in Welly !!!

You see, he doesn't have high enough quals for his skills (BTEC in Business & Finance) so we can't apply for points for those, leaving us at just below 100 points for the EOI - we NEED a job offer and it jumps up to 130! We're also lucky he falls under the shortage/future growth too - but does this mean we can't go to Auckland ???

We're coming out on a visitor's visa as soon as the house sells and going to apply for jobs, then EOI onshore - sorting out medicals and police checks before we leave! My hubby is in Marketing but has loads of experience with Product Management, Sales, Buying/Purchasing blah blah blah just in case that helps!!

So for anyone already in NZ and in IT, would you go to Auckland or Wellington ?? All views gratefully recieved

Michelle & Carl
Old Dec 12th 2006, 7:19 am
Banned

Budowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Auckland or Wellington ???

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl

I wanted to go to Auckland, hubby Wellington - I won that one hehe. Anyway, after what seem like more research than any normal sane person could cope with, it seems for my hubby's job we would be better off in Welly !!!

You see, he doesn't have high enough quals for his skills (BTEC in Business & Finance) so we can't apply for points for those, leaving us at just below 100 points for the EOI - we NEED a job offer and it jumps up to 130! We're also lucky he falls under the shortage/future growth too - but does this mean we can't go to Auckland ???

We're coming out on a visitor's visa as soon as the house sells and going to apply for jobs, then EOI onshore - sorting out medicals and police checks before we leave! My hubby is in Marketing but has loads of experience with Product Management, Sales, Buying/Purchasing blah blah blah just in case that helps!!

So for anyone already in NZ and in IT, would you go to Auckland or Wellington ?? All views gratefully recieved

Michelle & Carl
What about Christchurch? I would consider that as well.

Auckland is by far the more vibrant IT market though
Old Dec 12th 2006, 7:36 am
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future

I have a very similar issue at the moment, we moved to auckland in Feb 06, I had a few job offers and decided to take one in Auckland and subsequently moved here, we rent a property in Howick, on the south eastcoast of auckland.

Well, I have been "headhunted" by a very large company, it helps that the 2nd in command is an old pal from back home. They have offered me a regional managers post for wellington, we are being flown down as a family to meet the people there and be shown around for a few days.

I came here and took a menial job and no pressure, but I miss all the billy big time stuff and the money is nearly double what I earn, which is a huge pull.

We are really starting to enjoy Auckland, but have a good few dislikes also, not considering moving back to UK, a bad day here is better than a good day in the UK.

So any queries on Auckland please ask and I will be watching for feedback on wellington, with interest.

Andy
Old Dec 12th 2006, 7:54 am
sean n

sean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by theduke
I have a very similar issue at the moment, we moved to auckland in Feb 06, I had a few job offers and decided to take one in Auckland and subsequently moved here, we rent a property in Howick, on the south eastcoast of auckland.

Well, I have been "headhunted" by a very large company, it helps that the 2nd in command is an old pal from back home. They have offered me a regional managers post for wellington, we are being flown down as a family to meet the people there and be shown around for a few days.

I came here and took a menial job and no pressure, but I miss all the billy big time stuff and the money is nearly double what I earn, which is a huge pull.

We are really starting to enjoy Auckland, but have a good few dislikes also, not considering moving back to UK, a bad day here is better than a good day in the UK.

So any queries on Auckland please ask and I will be watching for feedback on wellington, with interest.

Andy
Isnt the weather much better the further North you are? This is a factor for us as the better weather is one of the reasons for goining to NZ.
I have a possible job offer in Auckland and also some interest from a company in Dunedin. Dont think I would want to live that far South though as it seems the weather is very 'British'.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 3:52 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Budowsky
I've heard that Welly is! My basis for a move to Wellington is the type of IT work I do. The databases I develop are often used by governments, and of course Wellington being the capital, it makes sense to go there. But we'll see when I get interviews in NZ, too. My company's main base is in Wellington and I work for a multinational IT company. We also prefer the idea of Wellington being the cultural capital etc.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Auckland is by far the more vibrant IT market though[/QUOTE]

I am sure it is, but one has to remember it comes with wall to wall traffic, silly house prices, 1 million people and the crowds that come with the latter. I am sure there is an IT thing in Welly. But if you want the most IT jobs and you can cope with the negatives Auckland it is.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 5:38 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis

I am sure it is, but one has to remember it comes with wall to wall traffic, silly house prices, 1 million people and the crowds that come with the latter. I am sure there is an IT thing in Welly. But if you want the most IT jobs and you can cope with the negatives Auckland it is.[/QUOTE]
For the field I'm in, I just searched in very broad terms on seek.co.nz. Exactly half the jobs are in Welly, and half are in Auckland.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Wellington is on the fault line = more earthquakes :scared: My OH would like to live on the hill. Reminds them of San Francisco. All i think of is the houses slipping down the hill if a big quake hits
Old Dec 12th 2006, 6:58 pm
Maz

Originally Posted by nero
Wellington is on the fault line = more earthquakes :scared: My OH would like to live on the hill. Reminds them of San Francisco. All i think of is the houses slipping down the hill if a big quake hits
Isn't Auckland on something like 48 volcanoes?... :scared:
Old Dec 12th 2006, 7:09 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sean n
Isnt the weather much better the further North you are? This is a factor for us as the better weather is one of the reasons for goining to NZ.
I have a possible job offer in Auckland and also some interest from a company in Dunedin. Dont think I would want to live that far South though as it seems the weather is very 'British'.
I find that insulting!!

You might want to look at the stats, for what Dunedin loses in average temperatures it makes up for in lack of rain and humidity compared to Auckland.

From a development side of things, I understand the Wellington market is busier at the moment than Auckland's.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

yes but all the volcanoes are dormant
Old Dec 12th 2006, 7:23 pm
Maz

Originally Posted by nero
yes but all the volcanoes are dormant
That's very different from extinct.

Besides... there are geological hazards all over the world. Here in the US Midwest we have tornadoes and earthquakes. Not to mention it's usually below freezing for a couple of months solid in winter.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

minky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really nice

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl

Michelle & Carl
We are also in the Howick area of Auckland.It really depends on where you lived in the UK to compare.We dont have a issue with the traffic here as we were used to the M25!We have decided to stay in rental at the moment as we are still not decided where we will end up.If you have a job first its makes it easier as that dictates what area you live in .We have been here 3 months and the children are settled in to school and give your self time to look around the where to live in Auckland is helpful.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

Auckland weather equals loads and loads of rain.
Wellington weather is colder and windier than Auckland BUT much drier.

Auckland is a vast sprawlling mass of houses and sub division upon subdivision. Apart from the Viaduct downtown Auckland is hideous and tacky - the council have ripped down most of the historic buildings. Traffic on the main roads into the CBD is grid lock. Main reason we left NZ was because we lived in Auckland - the place is a bad advert for NZ

Wellington is a much more attractive city and seems much more vibrant in terms of things going on (Theatre, sporting events etc). Easy access to the South Island which really is the jewel of NZ. But weather is not hot and it is very windy at times in Welly.

Personally I'd see if you could get a job outside of these cities as that is where you will really experience the best of NZ (proximity to fantastic and empty countryside).

NZ's cities are distinctly average and if you can, live outside of them it is then you'll experience the NZ that the NZ tourist board promotes.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hubbard
Auckland weather equals loads and loads of rain.
Wellington weather is colder and windier than Auckland BUT much drier.

Auckland is a vast sprawlling mass of houses and sub division upon subdivision. Apart from the Viaduct downtown Auckland is hideous and tacky - the council have ripped down most of the historic buildings. Traffic on the main roads into the CBD is grid lock. Main reason we left NZ was because we lived in Auckland - the place is a bad advert for NZ
Do come and see it for yourself though as it is nothing like this to many of the people that live here! There are several beautiful parks in the city, the suburbs are great and there is plenty going on here. Of course there is traffic, it is a city after all!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.