Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Auckland weather - heating/aircon and where to buy homeware on arrival

Auckland weather - heating/aircon and where to buy homeware on arrival

Old Jun 3rd 2015, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice
Default Re: Auckland weather - heating/aircon and where to buy homeware on arrival

this summer was amazing in Auckand - I don't know what folk moan about. Glorious since after xmas till near the end of April. Countless weekends at the beach swimming. Can't remember the last time I swam in Ireland.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Auckland weather - heating/aircon and where to buy homeware on arrival

Originally Posted by desmondo84
this summer was amazing in Auckand - I don't know what folk moan about. Glorious since after xmas till near the end of April. Countless weekends at the beach swimming. Can't remember the last time I swam in Ireland.
Swam about 5 times without wetsuit last year. Ocean would definitely be warmer in New Zealand, but you'd still need a wetsuit for surfing most of the year.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by desmondo84
this summer was amazing in Auckand - I don't know what folk moan about.

This summer was outstanding but was pretty exceptional and far better than usual - without a doubt, the best I have known in ten years of living in Auckland. NIWA records show that it rained 50% less than normal.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Jun 3rd 2015 at 9:28 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
This summer was outstanding but was pretty exceptional and far better than usual - without a doubt, the best I have known in ten years of living in Auckland.
i believe the last 3 summers have been exceptional, if sun is your thing. I think the one of 2012-13 was one of the biggest droughts in Aucklands recorded history, if my memory isnt deserting me. 2013-14 was also a near drought. Sometimes it does rain a lot over summer though. Its just that for the last 3 it hasnt.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
This summer was outstanding but was pretty exceptional and far better than usual - without a doubt, the best I have known in ten years of living in Auckland. NIWA records show 50% less rain than normal.
That's also a thing. If you move away from a place that's had a few bad summers and then arrive somewhere when it's one of the best summers in years, it will always be worse from where you came from.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

My summary of Auckland weather. Because it has little land mass surrounding it, the temperatures have less variation than a lot of other cities. There may be one or two frosts over winter in a bad year and yet the temp rarely gets into the 30s. Over winter, the daily high is usually in the region of 12 to 17 degrees. In summer its in the 22 to 27 range. However, because of high humidity, 25 can seem like 35 in other places. It can get very hot and sticky, and yes a fan can be useful. You will need heating for winter too. The amount will depend on your house. Is your rental insulated? Some of the old villas are not, and the wind whistles through them, taking the heat with it.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Swam about 5 times without wetsuit last year. Ocean would definitely be warmer in New Zealand, but you'd still need a wetsuit for surfing most of the year.
Surfers in Brisbane wear wetsuits too. I dont think their wearing has anything to do with how cold it is?
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

As far as homeware goes, personally Id avoid The Warehouse. If youre unfamiliar with the brands, the quality can sometimes be questionable as they buy some of the stuff in cheaply. Briscoes is good. In the past theyve had 50% off everything sales, and it really is half price. But I havnt noticed them so much of late? Boxing Days a good day to stock up if you can wait that long. Huge sales everywhere. For bigger items, I find Harvey Norman good. If youre buying a TV or something, ask the salesperson to quote a cash price, if you can pay cash, as you will normally get a discount.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Oh another weather thread Let's say if you didn't need an AC in London during summer, you certainly won't need one in Auckland.
That statement is so wrong it isnt funny.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by garethwm
Surfers in Brisbane wear wetsuits too. I dont think their wearing has anything to do with how cold it is?
They're just wimps then(). Most will have a wetsuit, but they'll be a lot thinner and in Hawaii you can certainly do without, unless you go really far out.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by garethwm
That statement is so wrong it isnt funny.
Why?
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Dont worry about aircon, you really wont need it.
I lived in Aux for two years and despite what stormer says you WILL need heating, it does get bloody cold at night.
I dont know if we have some eskimo members here but I don't like waking up to a house thats 13 degrees inside in the mornings.
You can buy Rinnai gas heaters on trade me for around $400 each so it may be worth getting a couple. I dont know if
they are plug and play or they have to be installed by a gas fitter so you might want to look into the cost of that if its needed.

For all the other stuff you need, just pop along to the Warehouse or Briscoes ,who luckily for you will have a 30 to 50% off sale on !!

For furniture you can pop along to see shouty Lily at big save furniture

Last edited by Justcol; Jun 3rd 2015 at 11:45 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

Well we came from belfast which just had its best summer from what I can remember in 30 years. It was probably equivalent to late April here. It's currently colder and as wet there now than auckland. Well maybe not as wet today lol.

It rains a lot here but you usually get a few hours of dry stuff somewhere in the day which means you can get out and do stuff.

Anyway. No such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothes...
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 7:32 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
Dont worry about aircon, you really wont need it.
I lived in Aux for two years and despite what stormer says you WILL need heating, it does get bloody cold at night.
I dont know if we have some eskimo members here but I don't like waking up to a house thats 13 degrees inside in the mornings.
You can buy Rinnai gas heaters on trade me for around $400 each so it may be worth getting a couple. I dont know if
they are plug and play or they have to be installed by a gas fitter so you might want to look into the cost of that if its needed.

For all the other stuff you need, just pop along to the Warehouse or Briscoes ,who luckily for you will have a 30 to 50% off sale on !!

For furniture you can pop along to see shouty Lily at big save furniture
?????? Where and when ?
Not miss quoting me I hope
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
?????? Where and when ?
Not miss quoting me I hope
Oops, it would appear I have

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.