Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

auckland versus the rest of nz

auckland versus the rest of nz

Old Aug 26th 2007, 1:12 am
Banned

Colin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really nice
Default Re: auckland versus the rest of nz

Auckland is just the Gateway which many people cant seem to get passed. To easy to slot in a pattern without taking the chances.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Colin in the middle
Auckland is just the Gateway which many people cant seem to get passed. To easy to slot in a pattern without taking the chances.

As someone said above Colin 'you' make your choice but its not everyone elses.....

Theres plenty of people who like the Auckland area and wouldn't leave it and they're no less enjoying where they live than you are. I can't see why you feel the need to try and put everyone who chooses to live in Auckland down as if they've made a wrong decision?

Where you live is your choice and i'm sure its lovely and good luck to you but then where we are suits us just fine at the moment for a raft of reasons which are important to us.

Is where you live better than where others live.... for some things yes and for some no...it balances out in every case.....

We're not living in the CBD but are in the Auckland greater area and its where we're going to stay while choosing a rural spot just outside the higher density housing areas...the best of both worlds.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 7:16 am
Banned

Colin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really nice

Originally Posted by niseysOH
As someone said above Colin 'you' make your choice but its not everyone elses.....

Theres plenty of people who like the Auckland area and wouldn't leave it and they're no less enjoying where they live than you are. I can't see why you feel the need to try and put everyone who chooses to live in Auckland down as if they've made a wrong decision?

Where you live is your choice and i'm sure its lovely and good luck to you but then where we are suits us just fine at the moment for a raft of reasons which are important to us.

Is where you live better than where others live.... for some things yes and for some no...it balances out in every case.....

We're not living in the CBD but are in the Auckland greater area and its where we're going to stay while choosing a rural spot just outside the higher density housing areas...the best of both worlds.
Ok so who thinks I am putting them down just because they live in Auckland? Your right its your choice and not mine. Stay there keep away from the rest of New Zealand last thing we need is a over population in the rest of New zealand ruining with the rubbish that comes with to many people.

Sweet of course I am not allowed an opinion how silly of me to express a opinion on a topic and pick a side that does not live in Auckland.

Reminds me of the South West England debate where most people think Bristol is as far as civilisation goes beyond that just a place for summer Holidays.

Guess unless you live in Auckland you dont get the butt of the jokes like the one where 2500 people phoned emergency services for those minor Earth Tremors a few months ago when in Wellington just 2, they did not bat an eyelid to stronger ones on the same day.

Toughen up there is Auckland and then there is New Zealand either uyou live in it or you dont. No need to patronise me because I am one of those that dont. Like I said Auckland is the Gateway to New Zealand thats why its so big
Old Aug 26th 2007, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

You've made it clear in this and other threads that you feel Auckland is not somewhere you'd choose and thats fine but theres plenty of people who would and do.

I think you lived in Auckland for a while and it didn't give you or your family what you expected or wanted and so be it you've obviously now found your place to settle and good luck to you.

However good 'you' think where you are is someone else will think its never for them.

Best the country bumpkins stay in the country, the roads are busy enough as they are without bemused country folk holding them up further

Everyone will choose different and thats the end i guess.....

Last edited by teambwr47; Aug 26th 2007 at 8:03 am.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

jacky g here

i would have to say collin,maybe its not what you say but the way you say it,

i for one have taken you the wrong way on many occasions,you speak about auckland like its not in new zealand ,i happen to like it here,but i havn't seen your neck of the woods yet,maybe its better maybe its not,

but i certainly wouldn't judge anyone for living somewhere i didn't like,

thats maybe not how you mean it,and i apologise if thats the case,but sometimes thats how it comes accross
Old Aug 26th 2007, 9:21 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by garryhg
jacky g here

i for one have taken you the wrong way on many occasions,you speak about auckland like its not in new zealand.....
Well they did try to sell it to Australia but they wouldn't take it. We said we would throw in Gore as well but still no go
Old Aug 26th 2007, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jude J
I dont want to get into an Auckland/Wellington debate because I've never been there, but surely you have rush hours there? Or is the public transport much better?

Yeah actually the train & bus system in Welly is great but yes they do have a bit of a rush hour although having sat in both AKL & Welly rush hours, IMHO the Welly gridlock is way way less than AKL! Actually what I was referring to was that IMO the traffic in Welly outside rush hour is an absolute doddle and flows into & out of the city really well. Probably just sheer volume of traffic in AKL, with Welly being so much smaller. The only time I hit annoying traffic in Welly was at rush hour after getting off a plane from Nelson and the traffic was real slow going throught the Victoria Tunnel but thats it. I had some horrible drives in AKL both in rush hour and outside of it when we were there, particularly round from the west side to the north side of the city.

Dave
Old Aug 26th 2007, 9:33 am
Banned

jacky g here

i would have to say collin,maybe its not what you say but the way you say it,

i for one have taken you the wrong way on many occasions,you speak about auckland like its not in new zealand ,i happen to like it here,but i havn't seen your neck of the woods yet,maybe its better maybe its not,

but i certainly wouldn't judge anyone for living somewhere i didn't like,

thats maybe not how you mean it,and i apologise if thats the case,but sometimes thats how it comes accross
Maybe what I should say is that I would recommend that people travel around New Zealand spending a few days here and there before making judgements. Guess that because I had that chance spending many weeks sometimes months in differant areas means I can say what I have.
All areas have there merits but the one that strikes the most to me negatively is Auckalnd because like I and a few others have stated reminds me of what I came to NZ to escape.
In case your wondering New Plymouth, Hastings, Taupo, Turangi, Tauranga, Murupara, Raetihi, Ohakune, Wanganui, Wanaka, Arthurs Pass, Mt Cook, Nelson, North Shore.
Those are the places I spent a month or more, My wife has not yet had the pleasure of the South Island, but it was she that had the final word on how long we spent in Auckland and that was 72 hours before she decided that we were not staying there. I did not argue with her
Given the Traffic Congestion, smokey diesel fumes and densly packed housing which other here have commented on, I think she made the right choice for us and I am guessing that others here felt the same way in thier choice. So dont single me out because your a JAFA now

Nisey OH,
Best the country bumpkins stay in the country, the roads are busy enough as they are without bemused country folk holding them up further
yep nothing worst than having to share the road with a couple of other cars is there. Guess thats why city folk get so impatiant and overtake on Double yellows when they leave the cities and get caught speeding
Old Aug 26th 2007, 10:00 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Please do not use the forum to throw personal insults at other posters, in breach of the forum rules.

Should you be in any doubt, please read the forum rules again before posting further.

Mod.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

you speak about auckland like its not in new zealand
Thats the way it seemed to us, Auckland is like being in another country.
The real NZ is much more enjoyable.

By the way, we actually did like it there for the 1st couple of months, until the holiday mode wore off & the rose coloured specs faded
Old Aug 26th 2007, 10:12 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Please do not use the forum to throw personal insults at other posters, in breach of the forum rules.

Should you be in any doubt, please read the forum rules again before posting further.

Mod.
Sorry could you expalin in what referance your refering?

One thing NiseyOH you should understand is that I have seen the Northshore explode in size since I lived their 11 years ago. Albany was a sleepy village in fact the Road to Albany from Torbay was unsealed, Greville Road was undeveloped, Pinehill was litterally a Tip, Harbour drive was opened whilst I lived there, In fact most of Northern Torbay/Long Bay did not exist.
Central Auckland has changed vastly in fact even John Campbell made those comments, so forgive me if I dont like rapid change a development. My brother worked on many of those building projects including the Sky Tower and North Harbour Stadium.

Last edited by Colin in the middle; Aug 26th 2007 at 10:35 am.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

Dandy Dan is a jewel in the roughDandy Dan is a jewel in the roughDandy Dan is a jewel in the roughDandy Dan is a jewel in the roughDandy Dan is a jewel in the rough

I thought the thread title was Auckland versus the rest of NZ????

So why are some posters getting so cross with others who are simply giving their opinions?

If all that was required was positive stuff about Auckland, why ask the question in the first place?

And I really don't think it adds to the debate when some posters assume that everyone else must be lower down in the pecking order because they live outside of Auckland. It doesn't mean anyone is paid less, or hasn't
'made it' yet, or that we all aspire to be in the big smoke.

There's so much more to NZ and that is what some posters here seem to be trying to say, which is perfectly in line with the original question, isn't it?
Old Aug 26th 2007, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Mod.
You've lost me on this one sorry, please tell me where someone has broken a rule so far within this thread?

You're surely not taking exception to 'country bumpkin' are you?

If so you are really taking PC moderation to a new level.....
Old Aug 26th 2007, 10:44 am
Banned

Originally Posted by niseysOH
You've lost me on this one sorry, please tell me where someone has broken a rule so far within this thread?

You're surely not taking exception to 'country bumpkin' are you?

If so you are really taking PC moderation to a new level.....
Yep well I am, your statement of
was incorrect. Its you Auckland folk that hold up the traffic when you get into the country because you not used to driving at the speedlimits Only have to look North and south of the city during public holidays to know that
Old Aug 26th 2007, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

Dandy Dan is a jewel in the roughDandy Dan is a jewel in the roughDandy Dan is a jewel in the roughDandy Dan is a jewel in the roughDandy Dan is a jewel in the rough

seconds out - Round 359!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.