Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Auckland v Wellington job markets

Auckland v Wellington job markets

Old Feb 6th 2013, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Auckland v Wellington job markets

Which city has the greater potential for jobs in IT (for me) and Public Relations/Admin for the kids, Auckland or Wellington?

Which one is most likely to suit all our needs?

(visiting NZ in OCTOBER this year! Flights are booked)
Old Feb 6th 2013, 6:07 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Auckland v Wellington job markets

hubby in IT and was here for a look around. had made arrangements to visit both Wellington and Auckland. Wellington first staying with friends and then up to Auckland for the last 4 days of stay. Well after landing on a Tuesday in Wellington, booking tickets for an IT Expo on the Wednesday, attended on the Thursday, got a job interview on the Friday, started work on the Monday. He spent Friday after the interview at Immigration getting a Temp Work Visa and the weekend convincing me that it was ok that he wasn't coming back from his holiday, so I had better sell the house.
As for Auckland, you don't gain 10 points, when we were going through the process you got 10 points by not going to Auckland, not sure if that still valid? From what people have said on here Auckland is more expensive but not having visited it can't tell you what its like. Personally we went where there was a job and feel very lucky to have landed in the place we did. Still in the area where the friend lives.
If you are coming over then I would suggest you look at both area's. We had booked a back packers accommodation for husbands trip to Auckland and as I said we had friends put him up in Wellington. If it is just you coming over we may be able to put you up in Wellington for a few days, just give us fair warning to turn the spare room/office into a spare room
Old Feb 6th 2013, 8:39 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Wellington has more government department admin jobs. Look up jobs.govt.nz. Other occupations are sought too.

Auckland has a higher population density. When my husband and I were there looking for work in Feb/March 2011 it was like pulling teeth ! We just weren't being taken seriously, I don't know why.

If other people have better luck than us that's great. I only know my story.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

northeastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond repute

This is quite helpful. I've recently been looking to move back out to NZ from the UK (I had to come home last August - family reasons) but I was torn between Wellington and Auckland. I absolutely loved Auckland but with so many people I imagine it would be hard to find a job there and yet - ironically - there's probably more job prospects there (on paper at least).

Wellington was our second choice last time (we settled for Dunedin; no idea why) so this is making me think a little...
Old Feb 11th 2013, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Auckland and I can tell you that the IT jobs market is pretty difficult. I have 6 years experience, plus relevant honours degree and various professional qualifications - i.e. VCP. Its hard to get jobs. At present there seems to be a lot of junior IT jobs in Auckland paying around the 40-45K NZD mark. Read other threads around housing and the cost of living in Auckland if you're not sure if thats a good salary.

If you are a programmer after contracting work you'll probably be OK.