Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Auckland V Christchurch

Auckland V Christchurch

Old Mar 16th 2012, 11:23 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Auckland V Christchurch

If I had to choose it would be Auckland. Haven't been for a while but going for a weekend in may. And never visited outside the city and I've heard some lovely areas. Unfortuately wouldn't be able to live in a good area as expensive.

But I do love the vibrancy and life in the city and easy to see bands as they usually always go to Auckland. So lucky you Justcool
Old Mar 17th 2012, 3:30 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Well I haven't lived in ChCh since I was about 2 (was born there) and I live in Auckland mainly because that's where my family are. My only thoughts are if so many people are leaving, then that's a pretty clear message IMO. Many of those leaving have school age children and schools are having to lay off teachers due to falling rolls (their jobs were protected for a year). Maybe there are safe parts to live in, I don't know, but plenty of locals have decided to leave and not take the chance.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
My only thoughts are if so many people are leaving, then that's a pretty clear message IMO.
Agreed. Stacey, if you can choose to be based elsewhere, if I were you I would definitely avoid Christchurch. Be kind to yourselves, make your NZ adventure as easy as possible.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 5:39 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by scottishstacey
I was actually going to put up a similar thread myself though, the company said they have roles all over nz so potentially we could move somewhere else. I liked the sound of Auckland but everybody says its so expensive, i dont think we could afford to stay there
Really. Perhaps you need to focus on how you can stay in NZ. We - me have put a lot of time and effort into this for you and I am beginning to get a bit a bit of a wiff TBH.
It seems to me you are much less about how you can arrive& actually stay and more about reading ,nd then posting comments about anyone you feel is a 'positive'.

Now. You stated you will be discussing your options over the weekend with your OH. Do just that & get back here with something concrete because most people that aim to emigrate have just this. A concrete aim to arrive. That should be your focus.

there is this....
wouldnt mind but the buses are crap, crowded and always seem to break down. you can imagine what a pain it is in the bad snow
is madness given how it can be here.

and this

Every migrant i speak to seems to love it or at least like it in christchurch, it just seems to be negative comments that i've heard from people who dont live there
and this has made me cross. I now live with people that no longer wish to live in the Christchurch area for very many, very personal reasons.

i can sense this turning into a slagging match lol.
What?
Old Mar 17th 2012, 5:47 am
`

Originally Posted by daviesl
Well there's a title to spark discussion.
Welcome back.

I'll pick the bits of your post if that's OK. Too late - I already did.

My husband is a UK plumber but is wanting to sit a full apprenticeship in NZ as UK qual's are hard to transfer and he is prepared to do that.
Um. No. Not hard, if he is a fully qualified, time served UK plumber he just needs to do the practical skill test assessment and the registration exam. No need for a full apprenticeship. NZQA assessment these days first. NVQ 3 or above. C&G to advanced. 4 years.
Takes time mind you.

If my memory serves me , were you with the NHS?

Um - I'm not sure on the plumbing apprenticeship thing. It's not in shortage here. He would need to find work in the trade and then find someone to take him on as an adult apprentice ( dirt cheap, minimum wage). TBH many fail at this. Xch isn't yet needing plumbers down there that much. If they were , all those looking for work ( work has been very quiet ) would be flocking to the place.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 6:50 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishstacey
arent most places in nz a "earthquake zone"..? if people say dont move to christchurch or visit then how is it ever going to recover? at first i was worried about the earthquakes but a natural disaster can happen anywhere, just the same as I could walk across the road and get knocked down tomorrow. just my opinion tho, everybodys different
The problem with Christchurch is that it is still suffering from its natural disaster, whereas it's been a while since Auckland's had one.

I don't think I'd want to live anywhere I couldn't get insurance for and it is nice to come home and find your house as you left it in the morning.

Besides, Christchurch's recovery won't start until
a. it stops shaking and
b. people stop leaving it for Auckland and Australia where the jobs are.

I know people over here who have to do contract work in Christchurch and boy are they glad to get back.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 7:48 am
`

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
b. people stop leaving it for Auckland and Australia where the jobs are.
May I just also say that they leave for other areas of NZ also. Nelson is one such area.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

daviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to all

Hi everyone, thanks very much for all the replies. I knew it would be a lively one.

Sounds like there isn't much work going in either place at the moment. OH is C&G qualified and so we felt it would probably be best for him to sit his apprenticeship and get fully NZ qualified, as this time we hope to stay.

As always there are pro's and con's of both places and good to get peoples views and opinions. To be honest we are probably swaying towards Auckland (providing we can afford to live there) as we have friends in Auckland and dotted around the North Island. Our logic was that hopefully OH would stand more of a chance of getting an apprenticeship in a bigger city than a smaller one, but that may seem debatable now.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

sparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond repute

Bevs, how do you do the big how thingy?

I'm going to Auckland btw....
Old Mar 17th 2012, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

Well im sorry if i've offended people, wasnt my intention at all.

Dont think i'll be back here.

Take care everyone.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Bevs, you are on fire tonight baby...lol
Old Mar 17th 2012, 2:16 pm
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute

If you want an exciting citylife, you'd be nuts to choose to live in nz....
Old Mar 17th 2012, 6:49 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by theghostofdustybin
If you want an exciting citylife, you'd be nuts to choose to live in nz....
And you don't know what you miss till its gone
Old Mar 17th 2012, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
And you don't know what you miss till its gone
But we have massive prawns..
Old Mar 17th 2012, 9:15 pm

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it depends on what you're after and what your motives are. I think moving to Christchurch could turn out to be rewarding, if you're in construction. I don't know how it would feel helping virtually build a whole brand new city centre from scratch, but I can sort of imagine it. A lot of people are living quite happily there and the aftershocks 'seem' to be diminishing (touch wood). Despite popular belief, there has not been a mass exodus of people from Christchurch, from what I understand.

Last edited by waikatoguy; Mar 17th 2012 at 9:19 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.